Honored Contributor

I just had myself a genuine adventure.  All afternoon my mini Aussie was at a hole in my back fence whinning and raising a ruckus for a couple hours.  I went back there once but couldnt see anything except the pieces of plywood my son put back there years ago to keep the dogs out of the space between 2 neighbor's back fences.  Eventually the dog came in.

Fast forward to 12:33am tonight.  Dog goes out and comes back in with something in his mouth.  I called him to me and with relief, he dropped this animal into my lap.  He was wondering what to do with it.  It's a newborn gray and white kitten.  At first I thought it was dead, then it moved and mewed. 

I was in a quandry as to what to do.  It's pitch black out there and I'm very unsteady on my feet; the ground is uneven.  I found my flashlight and decided if I  got close to the fence, mom would hear the kitten and get it, so off I go with kitty in a bag.  I can't get close to the hole due to a big lilac bush in front of it, but I got as close as I could and put the kitty on the ground.  It was mewing up a storm.  The dog didn't injure it at all; it appeared to be fine.

Of course as soon as I put the dogs out in the morning, they'll go right back to the hole.  I'd call Animal Control if I knew where exactly they were.  We don't as a rule have wandering stray dogs or cats here, and I haven't seen any stray cats.  The place is thick with coyotes.

What do you think I should do?  Here's the bush, the hole is behind it.  I wish mama would move those kittens tonight.  I have a nice secure child's playhouse with a door out there...she's welcome to move in.  Poor Piper, the Aussie, must have been worried to death about those kittens and brought it to me because he knew it wouuld be safe.  The last time a dog brought me a little newborn animal, it turned out to be a baby rat.

20160404_132323_004.jpg

Here's little Piper.

2017_dill2.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Call animal control, they most likely will be able to find them and take them to a shelter.  Good luck

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  I would only call animal control if New Mexico is a no-kill shelter state.  If not, then there are organizations just for cats that will come out and help.  I know there is the Homeless Animal Rescue Team of New Mexico.  Where I live, Forgotten Cats comes out, traps, spays/shots, and then works toward adoption.  I live in a no-kill state.  Anyway, these groups are very good at finding the animals, even if you are not sure exactly where they are at.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I would contact rescue groups before animal control, even if they aren't specifically cat rescue groups.

All animal rescue groups know each other and even if they don't rescue cats/kittens, they will know who in your area might can help.

If the Mother cat can't be caught/found, these babies will need to be bottle fed every 3 hours (been there, done that!) and animal control usually doesn't have the resources or desire to do that, so we know what will happen to the babies.

Most rescue groups/volunteers love all animals and will step up to help!

Good luck and please keep us posted!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 

I'm in love 😍 with Piper. What a cutie!

⚓️
Honored Contributor

The feline family needs food and water if you can manage it!   Please keep us up-to-date..........di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

That Piper is one beautiful dog and a sweet and caring one.  Piper knew that tiny kitten needed help.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 , what a little sweetie that Piper is💕.

By the way, gorgeous lilacs!  LM

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

i would never ever call animal control in utah.  they say they are no kill shelters but they do kill and they use the gas chamber.  and they do not follow any real guidelines as to which animals they put down.

try best friendes animals shelter.  theymay knowofa group in your arrea that can help

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I just had myself a genuine adventure.  All afternoon my mini Aussie was at a hole in my back fence whinning and raising a ruckus for a couple hours.  I went back there once but couldnt see anything except the pieces of plywood my son put back there years ago to keep the dogs out of the space between 2 neighbor's back fences.  Eventually the dog came in.

Fast forward to 12:33am tonight.  Dog goes out and comes back in with something in his mouth.  I called him to me and with relief, he dropped this animal into my lap.  He was wondering what to do with it.  It's a newborn gray and white kitten.  At first I thought it was dead, then it moved and mewed. 

I was in a quandry as to what to do.  It's pitch black out there and I'm very unsteady on my feet; the ground is uneven.  I found my flashlight and decided if I  got close to the fence, mom would hear the kitten and get it, so off I go with kitty in a bag.  I can't get close to the hole due to a big lilac bush in front of it, but I got as close as I could and put the kitty on the ground.  It was mewing up a storm.  The dog didn't injure it at all; it appeared to be fine.

Of course as soon as I put the dogs out in the morning, they'll go right back to the hole.  I'd call Animal Control if I knew where exactly they were.  We don't as a rule have wandering stray dogs or cats here, and I haven't seen any stray cats.  The place is thick with coyotes.

What do you think I should do?  Here's the bush, the hole is behind it.  I wish mama would move those kittens tonight.  I have a nice secure child's playhouse with a door out there...she's welcome to move in.  Poor Piper, the Aussie, must have been worried to death about those kittens and brought it to me because he knew it wouuld be safe.  The last time a dog brought me a little newborn animal, it turned out to be a baby rat.

20160404_132323_004.jpg

Here's little Piper.

2017_dill2.jpg

@Kachina624 

Seeing your cute mini Aussie, Piper, I hope you don't mind if I share with you my blue merle mini aussie, Hayly, who sadly went to the Rainbow Bridge.

She had one blue eye, one brown.

But she hated the camera, she would never look at it!

Here she is standing underneath our coffee table on our screened in deck, the coffee table is 15" tall.

Piper is one gorgeous boy!Heart

Spoiler
Spoiler

I love aussies, I've had regular size and mini.

They're so smart and such sweethearts!Heart

Picture_0002.jpg

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.