Honored Contributor

In the never-ending war on fleas, our local fleas now only respond to Advantage II which is kind of pricey. (The fleas around here consider Frontline and most similar brands a day at the spa.)  While getting ready to order some from Amazon the other day an ad popped up for Advecta II which has the same active ingredients and is sold through Target stores and Amazon. At $5 a treatment I thought I'd give it a shot. So far, so good. If you've got tough fleas who only respond to Advantage II, you might want to give Advecta II a try the next time. It seems as effective and a whole lot cheaper.

I couldn't find many horror stories about Advecta II, and yes I know there are people who swear by organic treatments, but none of those seem to work on our local flea crop, so I gave it a shot. So far, so good. If you've got tough fleas, you might want to give it a look. At $5 a treatment (four pack for $20 at Amazon) it's a pretty cheap option and so far anyway, seems to be working.

One of my mom's visitng nurses brought us her superfleas a couple of years ago. Before that pretty much any flea treatment worked for our cats. She came in one day complaining about the fleas her cats had and how nothing was working on them and apparently she'd brougth a few with her as we've been fighting a losing battle since then. The Advantage II works though and now the Advecta II also seems to be working.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Advecta II flea treatment

My 14 (almost 15) year old dog has been on Advantage from the beginning and I've never seen a flea on her.  Could your infestation be in your sofa, chairs or rugs and, therefore, your cats just get reinfected?  (dog here never gets on the furniture but I know cats do)

Frequent Contributor

Re: Advecta II flea treatment

Another one to try is the Seresto collar.   I have three dogs and used this for all three.   The best part is that it lasts 8 months and is for fleas, ticks and lice.   My vet recommeded it; did not purchase from them too expensive.   I was able to find online for about $40 per collar.   For 8 months protection that is a great deal.  

So far so good, I put the collar in May and have seen no fleas or ticks on any of the dogs.   I have friends that are also using and have had excellent results.   You don't need to take them of to bath the dog.   However, my vet stated that the collar may lose potenancy  if it gets wet too often.   I just remove them when the dog gets a bath.