Valued Contributor

Re: Adorable and hilarious...kitten at the spa

Seriously, two little girls playing nicely with their kitten and conspiracy theories abound.

I have been owned by pets my entire life.  I grew up with dogs, and I have owned 11 cats over the last 30 years.  When a pet enters my family, s/he is considered a family member and I am committed to that pet for life.  The pet takes priority and is given the best treatment, food and veterinary care.  I have trapped ferals and brought them into my home, rather than release, so they wouldn't be subject to bad weather and outdoor dangers.  I have rescued four adult cats with health issues - two who were asthmatic and required $230 inhalers.  My vet's comment is that animals in my care have hit the jackpot of life.  I would never tolerate mistreatment of any animal, domestic or wild.

The girls in this video are very loving and gentle with their kitten.  The older girl brushes the kitten's head gently.  (Many young children, not intentionally, will hit with the brush because they haven't been taught to be gentle.)  The girls are obviously not using polish remover as you can see them taking the cotton balls out of their little basket.  It's actually good for the kitten that they are playing with her paws and touching her with the cotton balls.  She will be used to the touching when her nails need trimming, or when she needs a veterinary procedure.  This kitten has obviously been socialized from a very young age and it is to her benefit.  She will be used to people and not hide.  She most certainly is not sedated, just chill because of her socialization.  If you watch the video, she very alertly looks at her little girls, and not in fear.  This kitten and her girls will have a lifelong loving relationship.  And that she is wearing a spa robe is no big deal.  She's not restrained.  How many dog owners dress their dogs in outfits all the time?

A cat will let its owner know when it is done with something, even something it enjoys like snuggling or petting, usually by just walking away.  It doesn't have to be a snarling and hissing mess.  Miss Carrot would have jumped out of the baby seat if she was done playing.  My mother grew up on a farm.  She often told stories of how she played with the kittens as her babies, placing them in her doll buggy.  However, when the mama kitty showed up at mealtime, everyone trotted away.

Every cat has its own personality.  One of my formerly feral cats learned tricks, and loved belly rubs.  I could carry another over my shoulder.  Another did not want to be picked up and only tolerated a pet down his back when he was fed.  My current kitty was released by her family when they couldn't afford her medical care.  I noticed right away that she obviously played with kids and loved it.  She would go, go, go from breakfast until after lunch and then run out of steam at kids' naptime.  She would invite me to play, motioning "come on, chase me."  She is also a chill cat from all the early interaction.  When she needed an ultrasound last year, she just flopped on the table and enjoyed the "belly rub."  No sedation or restraint required.

The little girls in this video grew up with cats.  Their first cat was 15-year old Bailey.  The oldest girl would hold Bailey gently and sing "You Are My Sunshine."  If you watch their other videos, Miss Carrot is their best friend - as it should be.  Hardly anything to be outraged about.

Respected Contributor

I've had cats every day of my almost-64 years. I do NOT think these girls were playing nicely and would never let kids do this to a cat.  Call me whatever you will. Nothing and no one will change my mind. Including you.

Respected Contributor

When I look at this video I see nothing but love among all three of them.  To me, this video is beautiful.  The girls are being very gentle with carrot.  And carrot is loving, relaxed and happy.  she seems quite pleased!!

Not all cats are the same!  This cat, carrot, is special, interesting, of course, which makes this an extra special video.   but certainly she is not the one and only cat who would be happy to participate this way with her people.    I've seen videos of people who travel with their cat on their shoulder, cats who happily ride in a toto-like basket on their person's bicycle, cats who love the wear clothing, cats who do yoga with their owners.  I've had no cats who would would do those things, but I did have a cat who loved to float on a kickboard on a lake with me, and go sailing in a small sailboat.  But only one! 

They obviously love her.   They also had a great relationship with their previous cat, if you look at the videos.  They are not using nail polish remover!  (why would you think their mom would let them play with nail polish remover!? let alone use it on their cat!? yikes!)  

I do find it interesting that the girls seems very familiar with what goes on at a spa!!

Better not to make something good into something bad.   

Thanks for posting the video. @lynne6was7