Honored Contributor

Re: 🐕 Adoption Event----I am pooped! 🐕

@1Snickers @Nonametoday @m0rgan 

ThankYou-smiley.gif

I already have a highly agressive 15 yr old cat who is on his 9th life.  I know this cause now he doesn't jump to lock jaw on my arms for awhile now.  He now tries to clamp my calves.  My reflex is still good & I still have plenty of Feliway.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

What was worse the standing in line or the emotional exhaustion of the waiting?! I applaud you for adopting; I'm a huge advocate for it. While all ets bring love and joy, I always feel a rescue brings a little extra appreciation! 

Fingers crossed that you have good news soon!

Honored Contributor

@Mellyg   ThankYou-smiley.gif

"What was worse the standing in line or the emotional exhaustion of the waiting?"

Both.  Especially when the volunteer came around naming all the dogs that were already gone.  The list kept getting longer & longer.

This was another thing that should have been advertised when promoting the adoption event.  A lot of folks only picked 1 dog.  And these were people w/young children.  Every household member had to show up in order to be considered.  Children crying when told their dog was no available. Smiley Sad

Valued Contributor

I would imagine a lot of people were getting anxious. But its heartwarming that there were so many people wanting to adopt! 

Valued Contributor

@Mz iMac  Good luck to you. After the day you had I hope you get the pup you want.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac What a crazy day you had, but it looks like you were one of the lucky ones to meet the requirements.  And, your dog is still available. Yay!  I hope it works out for you.

I think the crowd was an example of what's been going on with pet adoptions since Covid struck. Some of my local shelters have been completely cleaned out, which is unheard of.  These are huge shelters, generally full to capacity. 

Seems many people having to work from home, maybe with home schooled kids, too, are opting to adopt. That's great, except I worry about what happens to the pet, when they are back at their work and school sites, with the treadmill of life starting up again.  

Trusted Contributor

@Mz iMac  Sorry to hear about All that frustration! BUT, it will be worth it! So happy for you and the lucky pup!  Will definitely keep 🤞that everything works out and you will be able to adopt your dog! Good luck! 

IF all else fails, PLEASE try your local animal shelter; LOTS of animals who have been kept in cages for months! 😢 When we adopted our dog from an animal shelter, I promised him that he would never see the inside of a cage again. It was pitiful - too small of a cage, and it took him a while to learn to pee by lifting his leg. In a [small] cage too long! Not to mention that his nails were far too long. It was sad. I will Never forget us standing at the counter waiting to make my donation for him...I looked down at him and smiled, he looked up at me, and I Swear he smiled at me. I did get tears in my eyes at his 'look'.

I called our vet's office from the parking lot, and they were excited to see him! They gave him a thorough exam, trimmed his nails, and took pictures of him for their FB page. I was able to buy food and a stuffed toy until we went to PetSmart the next day for Everything else. This was cute...the sales associate put two different colored beds on the floor and I asked him which one he wanted. He looked at each one for awhile and then he went and laid down in the burgundy bed. 😄  We ended up with a carload of goodies and essentials for him! 😁

Every day (9+ years) has been a blessing with him! ❤️

So sorry to ramble, but I get so excited when someone adopts a new pet, or I can talk about my own. 🤷‍♀️

I would have probably picked the poor little dog with heart worm only to save it and give it a good home. I always root for the underdog. Poor little thing. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac 

I'll keep my fingers crossed that all works out for the best on your adoption of a very "lucky" pup(s).  

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone for all your well wishes.  It was not to be.  No phone calls to my references

No phone call to me

All the dogs I wanted are still available on their website!   So on to Plan B

====================

NOT Plan B but........

I found another shelter that allows "walk throughs."  Went this a.m.  Place only had 5 dogs.  One of them was a long haired Chihuahua.  Cutest little thing.  Looked exactly  like a lion.  Little dude NEVER stopped barking & growling at me.  The girl brought it out to a private yard so I could interact w/it.  I stooped to his level....BIG MISTAKE!  He started charging (still yapping & growling) I had to jump on the bench to keep him from biting me.

The staff had NO background on him.  He was simply "dropped" off.  I told the girl he acts like he was mistreated and/or abused.  She didn't know if he was house trained or crate trained.  No medical info at all.  He definently was NOT socialized.  Dog is 3 yrs old.  I was like thanks but no thanks.

As I was leaving, I saw the cutest pomaranian who looked at me w/doe eyes.  He was hopping around on his hind legs.

I wish I took a video of that.  Too cute.  As I bent down to get a closer look, I saw the "pending" sign.  I continued out the door.

The good news is that the girl gave me the names of 2 more shelters nearby.  One of them has adoption events EVERY Saturday at 2 Petsmarts in neighboring towns.  No "young" chi's at the moment.

The other had a young Chi, I filled out an app.  No personal or intrusive questions.  Just name, address, birthday & non family references info.  However, they do home visits for prospects which I gave my permission to do so.

whew.gif

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

When we adopted our little pup last year, I welcomed a home visit because they noticed a gap near our fence gate that he could have slipped through and got out of our yard.  So we blocked it up.  I am so glad they caught that.

Our little guy is a joy and we are so lucky to have him.  We found him on     petfinder dot com     where many rescues and shelters list their available animals.