Honored Contributor

🐕 Adoption Event----I am pooped! 🐕

I went to an adoption event sponsored by a local shelter which was for folks who already filled out applications.  There you would find out if the 🐕s you selected was available or not.  These 🐕s were still in transit but coming to South Joisey mid November to go to their foster home before getting adopted.

The event was held outside.  The line was approximately a mile long! faint.gifWe all were standing out in the HOT ☀️.  Just small spots of shade small enough for 1/2 person. icon_exclaim.gif

Every 15 minutes a volunteer would come by w/a list of 🐕s that were already "not available = somebody in Texas adopted them already."  After standing in line for HOURS, a few folks were 1142954.gif.

I had 4 chi's on my app & by the time I got to the front of the line, none of the 4 were "adopted in Texas." whew.gif

When I got to the "table" 2 1/2 HOURS LATER, my #1 pick may not make the Nov transport cause someone in Texas was interested.

My #2 pick got heart worms in Texas.  Will need to be on meds for 9 months.  I turned #2 down 3xs before the volunteer quit pushing that wormy 🐕 on me.  I advised the volunteer that info was NOT listed on their website.  Also, on their website it specifically states that the 🐕s would stay w/their fosters until 100% healthy.  I wanted a "healthy" shelter dog as they promised on their website.

#3 & #4 are definently coming on the transport.  This is where the volunteer told me I could only pick ONE before they will START "my" background check.  Smiley Mad ?  If I am not selected, I would have to fill out another application.  No problem as to date, they have 6 more Chi's I am interested in as a Plan B.  Will need to fill out 2 more apps as you can only select 4 🐕s per app.  And if I have to go to another "event" I am going to make sure I am there 1 hour before time, bring a beach chair, wear my safari hat or sit in my car until a line starts to form.

So I had to eeny meeny miny moe & settled for #3.  To make matters worse, I was told to notify all my references to tell them to expect a phone call today.  The caller ID will not show the name of the shelter but the name of the foster family.  I called & NOBODY answered their phone.  I had to leave a message that the reference call is NOT a SCAM!  This should have been done while I was waiting in line 2 1/2 hrs ago. 

Anywho, I will find out if I was selected by Monday.  As of this evening, no one called my references.  Maybe tomorrow Sunday?

The volunteer did tell me the dog I picked out foster family is in the same town I am in! So if I pass, my chances were EXCELLENT! Keeping my fingers & toes crossed.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 🐕 Adoption Event----I am pooped! 🐕

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac  How exciting (not the standing in line part)!  I am sending good thoughts your way for a successful adoption and am keeping my fingers and toes crossed, just in case.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl  ThankYou-smiley.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac   I hope it all works out for you!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack  ThankYou-smiley.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac , I hope it all works out, too.  Such dedication on your part!  All the time and effort and dedication you people put in in line today should be enough of a "background check".   "references" can lie on the phone but the willingness to stand in line and go through that for an unknown dog shows the real character IMO.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac  That certainly is difficult to adopt a dog!
They are trying to assure a good home for them. GOOD LUCK on your next chance!

My son adopted his first greyhound from a racetrack in FL, he lives in VA. There was no choice as to which dog. 
Argus arrived at night. He was brindle and aloof. He soon became my son's best friend and went to work at his store with him. 
  Later he adopted Jack, a black huge dog who was rambunctious. Jack didn't like many people except family. He didn't mind and couldn't be trusted (especially with food on the table )!
  He had him several years and Jack would snap at people. He attacked Argus and tore his throat. 
   You son called several greyhound agencies including the track. The people at the track knew he was aggressive and should be put down.

My granddaughter was three then and it was concerning so Jack was out down. It was so hard for my son! 

After Argus died my son adopted my older granddaughter's Chow. I didn't think it was a good idea. But he tried her at the store and she is a fantastic dog. She stays inside even with a door open! 
   I hope your new dog is as fantastic as his Cora. 

Honored Contributor

I just rescued a kitty, swearing I would never have another pet after our sweet doggie died a year ago and our very beloved kitty 2 years ago.  But I was not going to let this little guy go unwanted and unloved and worse.  I am not sure that I have the energy for a playful kitten, an invalid husband (but he adores this kitten) and a beauty/bath routine.  LOL.  I never realized how busy little kittens are but so glad I could give her a home.

Valued Contributor

That adoption event seemed like a test and you passed that one.  Best of luck, fingers crossed.

Honored Contributor

@Wsmom  ThankYou-smiley.gif

The shelter was NOT prepared for that many people showing up like that.   A few "senior" folks had to leave the line to sit in their cars.  One enterprising young man left his girlfriend in line, went home, got a huge ice chest, filled it w/bottled water & was selling the water for $1. Smiley LOL  The line wrapped around a shopping strip to the back of the buildings! Smiley Surprised  It was ridiculous.