Esteemed Contributor

Adopting after loss -- cannot take the leap!

Not sure what I am looking for other than your thoughts as pet lovers.

In the last year and a half, I lost 4 of my 5 cats.  My remaining boy is senior and diabetic.  He has a sweet nature and was not aggressive around my other kitties even though he was likely the top cat.

As much as I love cats, I cannot bring myself to adopt.  Mostly, I believe I am still heartbroken.  My cats were all strays and came to me.  The idea of bringing a new cat or cats in worries me.  What if my senior boy hates the cat?

I know they can adjust, but still.  I would feel terrible.

Maybe I just don't want the responsibility any more.

In that case, I need to stop thinking about the possibility and move on.

Any thoughts on your experiences are welcome.

Respected Contributor

Re: Adopting after loss -- cannot take the leap!

Obviously your heart isn’t in bringing another kitty into the home. Your senior might not enjoy the craziness of a kitten, another cat might cause him additional distress  even though he’s used to being in a multi-cat home.  Maybe you just want to take this time to focus on him and take good care of him as an older cat. There are many cats who need homes, shelters are packed with cats, so maybe in the spring you’ll feel more like it. Give yourself a break.

I don’t know about you, but the last thing I need in the month of December is a new pet!

Honored Contributor

I'm very sorry for your losses.  I will give you my experience.  I had two dogs that got along great.  When one of them died I decided not to get another pet until my remaining 12 year old dog died.  My dog had lived with multiple pets at the same time and gotten along with them well.  He was getting old and arthritic, though, and I didn't feel like it would be fair to bring in another pet that might annoy him.

I didn't express my thoughts to my Vet, but when I brought my dog in after my other dog had died, my Vet said that she hoped I wouldn't get another pet until Nick died, that it wouldn't be fair to him.  Those are my thoughts.  I'm sure they aren't the thoughts of most of the others who will reply.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman  Okay, since you asked....

I understand how you feel.  We just went through something similar in my family over the past 7 years.  My sister had a cat and was my mother's caretaker which meant she took on Ma's cats when they moved in together.  All of the cats were foundlings, strays, orphans and happened to be in the same age range.  It started before Ma passed in 2010 with Susie and every year my sister lost one of the elderly cats.  Sadly, she lost her own cat last week Sunday.

I'm 55 years old and can say this with absolute certainty - dogs, cats and yes, even my birds find me.  My Ma, my middle sister and I have never had to go looking - I'm telling you they find us. 

I am a believer in the saying 'Seniority Rules'.  When Presto my bird came along in 2013, my first two birds were already 8 and I was a basket case about integrating this 5 day old sparrow into my flock.   Poppi and Peewee had each other (siblings) for 8 years - what would they do with Presto - a young one.  I got incredibly lucky with my birds.

Given you have a senior cat with some health issues, I wouldn't go looking for another right now.  In my life I've learned that I plan and God laughs, which is how at one point I had 4 birds in the house (was on an every 4 year schedule, it seems).

I have a 12 year old, 8 year old and 4 year old now.  My Peewee (Poppi's sister) passed at 9 years in 2014.  I managed to make it through 2017 without God sending me another one (whew).

Witchy, don't rush sweetie.  If it is meant to be, it will happen - trust me, I know.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I truly understand your pain and how you feel.   I also lost two cats (at different times) and I can't IMAGINE losing 4 in one year.

I did wait a while but I went to my LOCAL SHELTER with Hubby and I told him before we went that - we would let the CAT PICK HIM or PICK US.

THere were so many cats, and I had my heart set to get a pair such as two brothers, two sisters  but WE were chosen by SOCKS our current cat.  He is such a joy and really a combination of the personalities of the cats we lost.

So I say all that to say, KEEP HOPE ALIVE, In time, you will KNOW when you are ready.  Also it might just be a time for you and your one cat to have each other as he is older and has special needs.

Well, stay encouraged.  Also my shelter has a website that you can go on and look at the cats, that might make you feel better.  Or How about volunteering at your shelter to get exposed to the cats but not have to take one home yet.

well these are just ideas, .

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman I was in somewhat in the same situation, I lost 3 pets in a very short time also, and I still have not taken the leap.  There is no time frame for your grieving time, everyone is different, so you must do what is in your heart, if your not ready, then you are not ready, your heart will let you know when you are.  For now,, just give your remaining fur child, all the love and attention you can, and be blessed that he is in your life!  And take the time you need, and do not let anyone tell you to get over it, like my sister did to me.  Trust you heart, it is already speaking to you!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I thought of something else. Stress is not good for diabetic humans, and it’s possible the same is true for cats.

Esteemed Contributor

The sadness and pain is so hard to get over.  If you are ready again you will know.  It's okay 

Super Contributor

@Witchy Woman I am sorry for the loss of your cat family members. You need time. Your older cat deserves some peace and quite in my opinion.  In the future if the time is right, a cat might find you. Don't rush things, take time to grieve and enjoy the old fella while he is still with you. Best wishes to you. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wanted to stop back in and add a few things.

Not having vet care costs and other costs attendant to having multiple cats, I have used those financies to help several local groups.

One does TNR and the other rescues from the local shelter.  I've been able to make substantial donations of food, bedding and plain old $$$ that has helped them in their work.

Emotionally, I cannot do volunteer work that brings me in contact with the animals, but it does ease my heart knowing I can help financially.