Respected Contributor

Re: Adopting after loss -- cannot take the leap!

@Witchy Woman It's ok............ I'm not such a good one to answer...or give you strong advise as I still have not recovered from my fur babies losses......I love them beyond love. Plus my health is an issue...and if anything happens to me there would be no one to love and care for them. I'm tending to a stray feral.....for now. I'm so sorry for your losses.

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman

I know that you already contribute, but have you thought about "sponsoring" a furry friend who catches your eye?  My rescue organizations (where I got my two kitties) allow people to sponsor invidual pets, which means that their adoption fees are waived.  Sometimes those sponsorships have conditions, like in the case of bonded pairs, where both kitties MUST be adopted together,  or kitties with special needs (like your diabetic kitty), .  This helps those animals who might be overlooked find homes more quickly.  Then, you are able to help a specific kitty with whom you have a connection.  

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono

I will look into this -- thank you for the suggestion!

And, again, thanks to all who offered their opinions.

It does help!

Respected Contributor

@Witchy WomanI am So, So sorry that you have had to go thruough so many losses in such a short time.  You really have not had a time to grieve them properly before the next  crisis came upon you.  You now still have one beloved kitty to devote your time and energy to managing the diabetes.  This kitty is the 'Last of the old crew".  If You are not sure you want to bring  another personality into the mix at this time then DON'T.  You will always be worrying about the two cats gtting along and hypervigilant as to what the new kitty is doing and how your diabtic kitty is reacting.  No fun for anyone.  There will be companions out there when you decide you are ready them.  Focus your loving attention on the kitty you have left and heal from all the sad losses.  You do not Have to jump into anything. Take your time and relfect and then decide.  My sympathies and prayers are going out to you and your kitty and the little angels around you.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman

I am getting here late in this post but I would like to add my experience .i had a beloved Corgi. Everyone here in Pet Chat, knew Barkley many yrs ago.

When he died I was devestaded. He was my life. Barkley taught me to live again after my DH died.

I found myself empty,my home empty,my life with no meaning. After only a week or 2, I asked my son to take me for another pup. He did,of course.

My DIL picked out the Maltese I have now. I brought him home and instantly I knew I didn't want him.Poor baby....I resented him....  I called my son and said," Come get this dog NOW !!!

He told me he was going to a wedding out of town and  would be back on monday,then he would come get him! I said ,ok and settled in for the worst weekend of my life.

monday came and he came to get the pup! I told him to wait a few days and see what happens........anyway,i kept the pup,went through the motions of careing for his needs and that was that!

I would tell the groomer that came every month ,"I do not love him yet" She knew me and she had groomed Barkley before this little one and she said,"Thats ok"... I understand"  Give it time. Her words made me feel better ,month after month.

Everytime I caught myself calling Cozi (the Malti) a pet name I had once called Barkley I would cringe and stop   and repremand myself!.

Little by little I found myself laughing,smileing,loving this little one ,and it became less awful to call him by one of Barkleys pet names.it took me a year to realise I loved him,i was shocked..........lol

Now he is my life..the love of my life. My precious love ,my buddy,my pal ,my reason for living......i cannot imaging life without him and I pray God watches over him everyday and I  make the sign of the cross on his head daily and ask for Gods Blessing...........need I say anymore........

Esteemed Contributor

@MalteseMomma

Your story brought tears to my eyes, as do all the stories of the love and devotion of pet lovers.  We spend so many years with these lovely creatures, it is no wonder they become intertwined with every fiber of our being.

And they just love us and ask for nothing in return.  Barkley and your current pup sound like very, very special friends. 

I'm sure that I will want to adopt again some day, but, I believe my reluctance to do so now centers around my last, remaining senior kitty. 

Since he is diabetic, I do not want to introduce anything stressful in his life.  Of course, there is the chance he would LOVE a new addition.  I've wondered if he was lonely for a pal, but.....if I brought another cat in, I would NOT be able to send it away.  I just couldn't.

Therefore, I have decided to not risk it right now.

When I adopt again, I would like bonded brothers or sisters and even maybe, their momma.

So, my time will come.  Right now, I'm just spending time and giving lots of attention to my Artemis.  He is doing well at 17, so I hope to enjoy him for a few more years.

Give your baby a hug and squeeze from me!