Frequent Contributor
Finn has been at our house for a day. He’s a sad little fella. So skittish and frightened. I’m keeping a light leash on him so I can get him to take him outside. He’s been doing well at that! Enjoys walking, doing well on his leash. The first night we couldn’t catch him to get him outside. We got him cornered and he bit my husband then peed on him. I felt so bad for Finn! Who knows what this fella has experienced! I spent yesterday sitting near him, talking softly and trying not to scare him. Today is better! He ate and drank. Let both of us pet him! Do any of you have any resources to help train me on how to help him? I’ve read a few articles. It's a little better today
Contributor

ALL THE DOGS I HAVE HAD HAVE BEEN RESCUED.  EVERYONE WAS

WONDERFUL.  RIGHT NOW I AM CRYING BECAUSE MY 17 YEAR OLD

TIBETAN TERRIER IS IN HIS LAST STAGES OF LIFE.  I HELD HIM AND TOLD

HIM IT WAS OK TO LET GO.  IHAVE HAD HIM SINCE A PUP.  SO MANY

LOVING AND WONDERFUL YEARS.  SWEET DREAMS MONTY...I LOVE YOU

Esteemed Contributor

@Zebsmom2 wrote:
Finn has been at our house for a day. He’s a sad little fella. So skittish and frightened. I’m keeping a light leash on him so I can get him to take him outside. He’s been doing well at that! Enjoys walking, doing well on his leash. The first night we couldn’t catch him to get him outside. We got him cornered and he bit my husband then peed on him. I felt so bad for Finn! Who knows what this fella has experienced! I spent yesterday sitting near him, talking softly and trying not to scare him. Today is better! He ate and drank. Let both of us pet him! Do any of you have any resources to help train me on how to help him? I’ve read a few articles. It's a little better today

Use your intuition to establish a communication between you and Finn.  Be patient, praising and loving.  Go with your heart.  I'm certainly am no expert, but this has worked for me. Relax and Finn will soon relax.

Esteemed Contributor

@Zebsmom2 wrote:
Finn has been at our house for a day. He’s a sad little fella. So skittish and frightened. I’m keeping a light leash on him so I can get him to take him outside. He’s been doing well at that! Enjoys walking, doing well on his leash. The first night we couldn’t catch him to get him outside. We got him cornered and he bit my husband then peed on him. I felt so bad for Finn! Who knows what this fella has experienced! I spent yesterday sitting near him, talking softly and trying not to scare him. Today is better! He ate and drank. Let both of us pet him! Do any of you have any resources to help train me on how to help him? I’ve read a few articles. It's a little @Zebsmom2  When we first got our Frisco (sent picture of him the other day), he was very sweet, but obviously had experienced some issues in his prior life. For years he wouldn't retrieve a toy if it went near a baseboard. He's frightened of puddles and will walk around them.  Love, kindness,and patience will bring this little guy around and you will be greatly rewarded. BTW, we still call our little guy "nervous nelllie" from time to time. But mostly I call him "momma's little man".  Heart

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Contributor

I AM SO SAD.  MONTY PASSED AWAY A FEW DAYS AGO.  HE DIED IN HIS SLEEP.

AFTER 17 YEARS BEING AT MY SIDE THINGS DON'T SEEM RIGHT.  I LOVED

HIM SO MUCH.  I AM GLAD HE DIED IN THE COMFORTS OF HOME BUT I

WISH HE COULD HAVE BEEN HERE LONGER.   SWEET DREAMS MONTY...LOVE 

YOU ALWAYS

Honored Contributor

@Santoni- (((Hugs))) and prayers.  I'm sorry for the loss of your beloved Monty.  Only time will make it easier, but know that there are many of us here who understand how you feel at this moment.  Heart

Honored Contributor

@Zebsmom2- My sister-in-law rescued a tiny little dachshund-chihuahua mix two years ago.  Skittish didn't begin to describe it.  Jingles was clearly afraid of men and we were convinced someone had mistreated her.  She was such a tiny thing, it made me furious that anyone could do that to such a precious furbaby.

But my S-I-L was patient and loving and today Jingles is just full of personality and love.  It takes time and letting the new rescue know that he's safe now and in a loving home.  Being uprooted and taken to a shelter takes a toll on any animal.  I'm certain, Finn will come to trust you.

I have three rescue cats and one of them was almost feral, when we got her.  She hid for the first couple of weeks and even bit me once, when I (stupidly) tried to get her out from a hidey-hole.  But once she realized that she wasn't going to be punished for that, she slowly came around.  Today, she's a total, loving joy who curls up in our arms and purrs contentedly.  You wouldn't know she's the same cat we adopted.  Even the shelter couldn't believe it.  Time.......it takes time.

Congratulations on Finn - he's adorable!

Regular Contributor

@Santoni wrote:

I AM SO SAD.  MONTY PASSED AWAY A FEW DAYS AGO.  HE DIED IN HIS SLEEP.

AFTER 17 YEARS BEING AT MY SIDE THINGS DON'T SEEM RIGHT.  I LOVED

HIM SO MUCH.  I AM GLAD HE DIED IN THE COMFORTS OF HOME BUT I

WISH HE COULD HAVE BEEN HERE LONGER.   SWEET DREAMS MONTY...LOVE 

YOU ALWAYS

So very sorry for your loss. Sending you hugs. I understand how you are feeling ~ my sweetie boy Casey passed away in his sleep last year.  While I am so very thankful that I didn't have to make that decision of "when it was time", I still wish every day that I had him with me lomger than 12 short years.  Forever and a day would not be long enough for me.  I miss him so.

Frequent Contributor

Honored Contributor

@Zebsmom2  Did you mean to post something?  This is a blank post.  I'm interested in hearing what's going on.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau