Valued Contributor

My dog that i adopted two years ago passed away this past December. I miss having a sweet baby to keep me company. Is it fair at my age of 68 to adopt a 6 year old dog. I have no one to take my dog if I can't or if I die before her. 

I want to do what is right for the dog. Taking her back to the shelter seems cruel. Any suggestions? 

Honored Contributor

If the dog that you're interested in is already 6 years old, how many more years do you realistically expect it to live?....maybe another 10?... if that?

How is your health?  I realize things could change suddenly but if you feel reasonably healthy, don't you expect to live for more than another 10 years?  I do.  I'm also 68 and in many ways I still feel really young enough to do a lot and look forward to future events.  I don't have the stamina that I did when many years younger and I get occasional aches & pains (sometimes my knee acts up) but for the most part I just don't feel old or see myself that way.  How do you feel & see yourself at 68? 

If it was me and I wanted the dog, I would get it and tell myself that it will be going to a loving home which you will be providing. If it weren't for you, it might not have the opportunity to go to a loving home.

Valued Contributor

@haddon9 

I'm in good health and would love to give a good home to a new dog. I too feel much younger than I am.  My only concern is for the dog. 

Thank you for helping me! 

Honored Contributor

@DJP I get it.  Sure you could suddenly become very sick and have a serious health issue.  However that could happen to a much younger person too.

Honored Contributor

@DJP    If you adopt from a rescue group, not a municipal facility, they usually agree to take the dog back for rehoming if you are unable to care for it.  I have that arrangement for my two dogs.

At your age, if in good health, I think a 6 year old dog would be a great fit.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@DJP Please consider adopting another dog. Really 68 is not that old. You have many productive years ahead of you.

Sure you have concerns about your age. That makes sense. But you will be getting older and the dog will too.

We got our collie and he was 6 years old. He went for walks in the park every morning. They were about 2 - 3 miles everyday. After a few years, he couldn't handle long walks. So we would take him on short walks. Sometimes he would need breaks on the short walks. He still enjoyed exploring the park so we let him call the shots.

We adopted our dog from a Collie Rescue Group. They said from the beginning, if we could no longer care for the dog they would gladly take the dog. 

Please consider getting another dog. It will keep you young. 

Honored Contributor

@DJP - Of course it's fair, and you will both give each other a lot of joy! 

I agree with others here that you should select a no-kill shelter that will adopt your dog should you no longer be able to care for her.

Do you have any friends that would take her? There are other options too. Your veterinarian will be happy to help with these. But I think you'll be fine. 

The benefits of living with her, for however long for either of you, will far outweigh your concerns.  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@beach-mom @drizzellla @Kachina624 @haddon9 

Thank you all for your care and concern for my next puppy. I will happily adopt the little girl that I have been wanting.

Honored Contributor

I am 68 and have two dogs.  One is three and the other is six years old.  

I don't think 68 is too old at all.  I plan to stick around for a while and my health is good.  My DH is 70 and healthy as well.

No one knows how long they have ...young people die too.  As long as we're here, we should make the best of it.

There are plenty of dogs who need a home and if you can provide that, plus a bunch of love, go for it.  A win/win for you and the dog.

I love large dogs, but I found that smaller breeds are easier for me  to handle.  A big dog could pull and cause me to fall...been there, done that when I was younger.  

Respected Contributor

Gosh, don't you know that 60 is the new 40?  I would not hesitate one minute to adopt a dog at your age!  I have a large menagerie in my house, and I am quite healthy, but I have already written all my pets into our will so they will be taken care of if anything happens to me and DH.

My first cat lived to almost 20, and my second dog until almost 18, but I have lost other pets a bit younger.  

I plan on living to at least 100, but I will probably not want any more puppies after I enter into my 90's, because it is a lot of work to housebreak them!  Please give a new pet a loving home--both you and the dog will be so happy.