Contributor

Re: Adopting a dog is a frustrating process

@C in MA wrote:

Update 7/26/18

went to MSPCA. senior dog needed  1K worth of dental work he is 10 yrs old. Adorable but could not justify.  Home visit from another rescue Saturday but really I am giving rescue $500 but still I need o be checked out. Rescuers make you fell you are stealing and and a criminal plus pay hundreds of dollars.im tired of this

And what happens if you adopt a younger dog and it needs $1000.00 worth of dental work a couple months from now? Age isn't a factor in which animal needs dental work. And $1000.00 doesn't go that far at a vet now.

My 4 year old Maine Coon I got from a rescue group 100 miles from me recently needed a dental which included xrays and a few extractions and it came to $984.00. She needed it to remain healthy, and I didn't balk at spending the money on her.

maggie pillow (2).JPG

Valued Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@LexaMom wrote:

I have recently gone through this.  Boy things have changed.  You are deemed an animal abuser and you have to prove you are not.   I am retired now - but I would have never been granted a rescue dog when I worked.

First of all - the adoptable dogs are mostly taken from the shelters.  At least that is true int the Denver area.  Then I had to fill out a 6 page application - longer than the ones I submitted for grad school.   Then a home visit - which is fine.. but the contract stated they could stop by at any time in the future without even a phone call.  

I finally found a rescue who was more reasonable.. but with this attitude,  I feel sorry for the animals.   And I understand why people go to breeders and pet stores.  Its not worth going through all the abuse,  not even mentionning the cost.

By the way - I am a huge dog lover.  Currently raising my 8th dog.  My Indian friends told me they wanted to be reincarnated to be one of my dogs.  

Abuse, really.  Do you have any idea what some of these animals go through before they even make it to the rescue.  

About all the paperwork and inspections, you have no idea what is like just getting a job. 

I worked for the same company for 35 years - so I think I know more about jobs than you do.   And what does moving an animal into rescue have anything to do with what it takes to adopt one.  Telling a family with young kids - unless the dog is known to be bad with children - that they cannot adopt a dog - is insane.  Raising a dog is a wonderful lesson for young children.   Responsible parents will make sure that both the dog and the children are treating each other with love.     Sorry dear, but rescues have moved way overboard in their adoption policies..   Part of the current Politically Correct atmosphere in this country.

Valued Contributor

At least here in Denver,  the Rescues pull the adoptable dogs from the shelters.  Even when you go to the shelter websites,  there is a Rescue group tied to the dog. 

Esteemed Contributor

@LexaMom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@LexaMom wrote:

I have recently gone through this.  Boy things have changed.  You are deemed an animal abuser and you have to prove you are not.   I am retired now - but I would have never been granted a rescue dog when I worked.

First of all - the adoptable dogs are mostly taken from the shelters.  At least that is true int the Denver area.  Then I had to fill out a 6 page application - longer than the ones I submitted for grad school.   Then a home visit - which is fine.. but the contract stated they could stop by at any time in the future without even a phone call.  

I finally found a rescue who was more reasonable.. but with this attitude,  I feel sorry for the animals.   And I understand why people go to breeders and pet stores.  Its not worth going through all the abuse,  not even mentionning the cost.

By the way - I am a huge dog lover.  Currently raising my 8th dog.  My Indian friends told me they wanted to be reincarnated to be one of my dogs.  

Abuse, really.  Do you have any idea what some of these animals go through before they even make it to the rescue.  

About all the paperwork and inspections, you have no idea what is like just getting a job. 

I worked for the same company for 35 years - so I think I know more about jobs than you do.   And what does moving an animal into rescue have anything to do with what it takes to adopt one.  Telling a family with young kids - unless the dog is known to be bad with children - that they cannot adopt a dog - is insane.  Raising a dog is a wonderful lesson for young children.   Responsible parents will make sure that both the dog and the children are treating each other with love.     Sorry dear, but rescues have moved way overboard in their adoption policies..   Part of the current Politically Correct atmosphere in this country.

First of all I am not your "dear" and it has nothing to do with being politically correct.

From your remarks I can see you really do not have a clue about how rescues work (or even the job market these days).  Not sure if it is because of your lack of knowledge in the area or some bad experienced you may have had in the past.  The job interview was an analogy  to the adoption process.  Just as a company wants to find the best person for the job, a rescue wants to find the best person for their dogs.  Some screen better than others however there is no probationary period or termination process if it doesn't work out.  You are in it for life (or at least you should be).  If you are not about to put the effort in at the beginning of the process how can they be comfortable you are going to stick with it for the dogs entire life.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@LexaMom wrote:

I encountered the same thing.....it was strange, to say the least.