Esteemed Contributor

Re: Adopting a dog is a frustrating process

@NickNack

@CrazyDaisy

Agree.  Something sounds off.

Super Contributor

Update 7/26/18

went to MSPCA. senior dog needed  1K worth of dental work he is 10 yrs old. Adorable but could not justify.  Home visit from another rescue Saturday but really I am giving rescue $500 but still I need o be checked out. Rescuers make you fell you are stealing and and a criminal plus pay hundreds of dollars.im tired of this

Hang in there. Hopefully the home visit goes well. 

Regardless, eventually the right dog will show up.  It might not be through a rescue. 

Last fall we spent weeks trying to get a new dog for my mom.  She finally gave up.  We were so happy when she heard of  someone who had a dog that needed to be rehomed.  Admittedly, it wasn't the breed she was looking for, but he met her other criteria.  They are now a happy family of two. 

Esteemed Contributor

Most rescues have this process. They even want to know if there are grandchildren visiting. Its all to make sure that dog does not come back to them. The golden rescue here where i live will not adopt if you have chidren under five. Its all to make sure the pet has the best home possible.

Esteemed Contributor

@summerwind wrote:

Before I bought my last dog, from a breeder, I looked around in my area, but they all had a rule that, if I could no longer care for the dog, I was to give it back.

I'm sorry, I'm retired, you never know what will happen, but I have family and friends who love my dog and would see that she was well taken care of in my absence. I would never have my dog go to strangers if I wasn't able to care for her, she would be decimated!

Most rescues have that rule. But I am positive if you had loving family to take it they arent goinf to go take it away. That rule is there mostly incase there is no one to take it. Most reputable breeders have the same rule so their dogs dont end up in a shelter.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@C in MA wrote:

Update 7/26/18

went to MSPCA. senior dog needed  1K worth of dental work he is 10 yrs old. Adorable but could not justify.  Home visit from another rescue Saturday but really I am giving rescue $500 but still I need o be checked out. Rescuers make you fell you are stealing and and a criminal plus pay hundreds of dollars.im tired of this

I can understand frustration, however your post makes it sound like you are out shopping for a used car rather than a new family member.  Just because you have $500 does not automatically mean you qualified or a good match for a dog.  Approaching the process with a positive attitude goes a long way when dealing with rescues.

I always think the dog should also have a say in choosing his or her new person.  As you said, it's a new family member, not a new car.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

I think they just want to make sure the pet does not fall into  an abusive household  so i think over doing it is better than not doing anything to protect the pets

Honored Contributor

@C in MA wrote:

Update 7/26/18

@C in MA.  If a dog needs any type of medical treatment, including dental, and you're adopting from any place other than a municipal shelter, the treatment should be done at their expense before you adopt.

Two years ago I adopted a collie who acquired an auto immune disease after she was spayed.  The rescue insisted I sign her back over to them so they could pay for her treatment, which I did.  I nursed her a little over a year.  They ended up spending about $10,000 on her, and in the end we had to let her go.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@C in MA wrote:

Update 7/26/18

@C in MA.  If a dog needs any type of medical treatment, including dental, and you're adopting from any place other than a municipal shelter, the treatment should be done at their expense before you adopt.

Two years ago I adopted a collie who acquired an auto immune disease after she was spayed.  The rescue insisted I sign her back over to them so they could pay for her treatment, which I did.  I nursed her a little over a year.  They ended up spending about $10,000 on her, and in the end we had to let her go.

Not all rescues have the funds to pay for all medical treatments, known and unknown.  When you adopt you take the good and the bad and that may include medical expenses.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Valued Contributor

I have recently gone through this.  Boy things have changed.  You are deemed an animal abuser and you have to prove you are not.   I am retired now - but I would have never been granted a rescue dog when I worked.

First of all - the adoptable dogs are mostly taken from the shelters.  At least that is true int the Denver area.  Then I had to fill out a 6 page application - longer than the ones I submitted for grad school.   Then a home visit - which is fine.. but the contract stated they could stop by at any time in the future without even a phone call.  

I finally found a rescue who was more reasonable.. but with this attitude,  I feel sorry for the animals.   And I understand why people go to breeders and pet stores.  Its not worth going through all the abuse,  not even mentionning the cost.

By the way - I am a huge dog lover.  Currently raising my 8th dog.  My Indian friends told me they wanted to be reincarnated to be one of my dogs.  

Esteemed Contributor

@LexaMom wrote:

I have recently gone through this.  Boy things have changed.  You are deemed an animal abuser and you have to prove you are not.   I am retired now - but I would have never been granted a rescue dog when I worked.

First of all - the adoptable dogs are mostly taken from the shelters.  At least that is true int the Denver area.  Then I had to fill out a 6 page application - longer than the ones I submitted for grad school.   Then a home visit - which is fine.. but the contract stated they could stop by at any time in the future without even a phone call.  

I finally found a rescue who was more reasonable.. but with this attitude,  I feel sorry for the animals.   And I understand why people go to breeders and pet stores.  Its not worth going through all the abuse,  not even mentionning the cost.

By the way - I am a huge dog lover.  Currently raising my 8th dog.  My Indian friends told me they wanted to be reincarnated to be one of my dogs.  

Abuse, really.  Do you have any idea what some of these animals go through before they even make it to the rescue.  

About all the paperwork and inspections, you have no idea what is like just getting a job. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.