Esteemed Contributor

Re: Adopting a dog is a frustrating process

Hope it works out for you @C in MA and you get  a new friend.

Just remember it will be all worth it in the end.

Occasional Contributor

I wasn't allowed to adopt a dog from a rescue without a co-signer because I was 65.  I ended up getting a darling bichon at the pet store, no questions asked.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cardinals97 wrote:

I wasn't allowed to adopt a dog from a rescue without a co-signer because I was 65.  I ended up getting a darling bichon at the pet store, no questions asked.

Yep, people selling puppy mill dogs usually do not ask questions.  They only care about the money in your wallet.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Cardinals97 wrote:

@Cardinals97  That's because all dogs sold in pet stores except those from rescues are from puppy mills.  They don't care who buys their dogs.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

i work with as rescue group and the reason for the forms and all is make sure that the animal goes to a forever home.  the rescue groups do not wnat to see the animal returned.  it is too stressful on the animal and the group that rescued it.

i have 3 bostn terriers and all are rescues.  i had to fill out the forms and go through the process the same as any eon e else.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't deny that the rescue groups are trying to find forever homes.     In my personal experience their process also eliminates a lot of very good potential adopters.  

No retirees (they might decide to travel), no renters (they might decide to move or be evicted), no one over 70 can adopt  even if the other spouse is younger(they might die). Not to mention a required 6 foot tall fence, regardless of breed. 

Trusted Contributor

every rescue group is different and they all set their own rules.  you can try another group and see if they are a better fit for you and the pet.

Contributor

Update 7/26/18

went to MSPCA. senior dog needed  1K worth of dental work he is 10 yrs old. Adorable but could not justify.  Home visit from another rescue Saturday but really I am giving rescue $500 but still I need o be checked out. Rescuers make you fell you are stealing and and a criminal plus pay hundreds of dollars.im tired of this

Esteemed Contributor

@C in MA wrote:

Update 7/26/18

went to MSPCA. senior dog needed  1K worth of dental work he is 10 yrs old. Adorable but could not justify.  Home visit from another rescue Saturday but really I am giving rescue $500 but still I need o be checked out. Rescuers make you fell you are stealing and and a criminal plus pay hundreds of dollars.im tired of this

I can understand frustration, however your post makes it sound like you are out shopping for a used car rather than a new family member.  Just because you have $500 does not automatically mean you qualified or a good match for a dog.  Approaching the process with a positive attitude goes a long way when dealing with rescues.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@C in MA wrote:

Update 7/26/18

$500 means nothing as far as whether you would be a good home for the dog.  Be happy they're coming to visit your home and that they care about what type of person and home the dog goes to.  They're looking out for the dog.  I've been through this process with rescue several times and was always glad they had such a thorough process.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau