Honored Contributor

Re: Adopting a dog is a frustrating process

I've been working with a collie rescue group for over 15 years.  Our group has always tried to qualify as many adopters as possible rather than try to eliminate potential adopters.  I myself have adopted many dogs from breed rescues, including Collies, Shelties and Australian shepherds.  At present I have 3, a purebred Sheltie, a mini Aussie now known as a miniature American shepherd, and  a mutt that was rescued from a municipal shelter in El Paso just because she was an exceptionally nice dog.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@C in MA- I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with the rescues you've been in contact with. I've only ever dealt with two and wasn't able to adopt from either. First group only handled smaller dogs and when I told them I had an English Setter I was told they'd never adopt one of their dogs to a home with such a large dog. The dog I was interested in was about 30 pounds and my setter was 45 pounds and the sweetest, most submissive dog I've ever had ... but they didn't care about that. The second rescue sent someone to do a home inspection. They guy told me everything looked great and then told me not to get my hopes up because he'd been volunteering with the group for almost a year and, to his knowledge, they'd never adopted a dog out. Sure enough, I never heard back from anyone with that group.

I have, however, adopted many dogs over the years from local shelters -so I highly recommend you give them a try. In my experience, they have mixed breeds and just about any purebred dog you'd want ... and the process is much easier.

I know everyone encourages adopting shelter and rescue dogs, but if that doesn't work out for you in your area - don't hesitate to contact breeders.  My current crew consists of 3 shelter dogs and 2 dogs from a breeder ... love them all.

Good luck in your search.

Edited to include:

If you haven't already, check out petfinder. online.

Honored Contributor

@C in MA   I know what you mean.  I went to out local humane society to adopt a dog. I filled out all the info... and they never called me EVER  to come see a dog or anything.   I found both my dogs on Craigs list from people wanting to rehome them... BEST DECISION I ever made!!!. Lola I adopted at 11 months old- she is now 8... Zazu I adopted two years ago and he is now 4.  

I do not understand how the humane societies can just not do their jobs.

Esteemed Contributor

The amount of paperwork depends on the facility.  Our cats came from a rescue and when brought for a home visit, they left the cats.  No real paperwork involved.  When we got our Simon from a rescue, his owner was involved, and again, no paperwork.  When we got Darcy, there was a ton of paperwork and a hefty donation (she was worth every penny and more).  Happy came with money.

Now, we are looking at another dog that is being rehomed and she is free.  If someone really wants to adopt, there are plenty of rescues through Petfinder and there are all levels of fees and paperwork.  Just be patient and wait for the right pet.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Super Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've been working with a collie rescue group for over 15 years.  Our group has always tried to qualify as many adopters as possible rather than try to eliminate potential adopters.  I myself have adopted many dogs from breed rescues, including Collies, Shelties and Australian shepherds.  At present I have 3, a purebred Sheltie, a mini Aussie now known as a miniature American shepherd, and  a mutt that was rescued from a municipal shelter in El Paso just because she was an exceptionally nice dog.

They really do get some great dogs in El Paso. Right now, I have a Cane Corso, a GSD and a Boston Terrier from their Animal Services facility.

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@cookinfreak wrote:

ITA!! It's the same here. All my pets have been rescues, and now it's ridiculous what they want. You have to be pre-qualified now to adopt. If I get another pet someday, I am almost tempted to go to a breeder or even a pet store. I understand some of the steps as to make sure the animals will be well cared for, and they can't give the pets away, but they are making it harder and more expensive to save a little one.

cookin

Well my last dog, I went to the county pound, gave them $50 and came home with the puppy.  There are options

@CrazyDaisy

That varies by area too.

Here, you cannot adopt directly from the pound (Animal Control), you have to go through a rescue group.

What do they do if all the rescues are full?  Cannot imagine a government facility would have the funds to continue to feed and house dogs waiting for an opening.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Super Contributor

Before I bought my last dog, from a breeder, I looked around in my area, but they all had a rule that, if I could no longer care for the dog, I was to give it back.

I'm sorry, I'm retired, you never know what will happen, but I have family and friends who love my dog and would see that she was well taken care of in my absence. I would never have my dog go to strangers if I wasn't able to care for her, she would be decimated!

Esteemed Contributor

When I contacted a few "rescues" (?) or shelters in my area, I got a very weird vibe.

They seemed to view each dog as their own child that they didn't want to give up for adoption.

Very strange people - seemed almost hostile.

I wouldn't fool with them again.

Contributor

Thank you all for your responses. I only want a small dog. And they are the most protected from a reasonable adoption process. We are still looking. I loved reading everyone's experiences. I will update Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I've adopted two rescues in my life:  each process was simple.  Didn't find the forms too personal, had no problem providing two references.  I was pleased that they referenced my vet as it goes to show that these rescue organizations are concerned and care enough to insure the furbaby will be well-cared for.

I live in MA, my first rescued girl became my soulmate; my rescued boy came up from NYC and he rescued me after my girl passed.  IMHO, the rescue organization due diligence resulted in perfectly awesome matches!