Honored Contributor

Re: Adopted a beautiful Cavalier

@fancy pantsy    I had a ruby and a black/tan that passed this past winter ( heart disease).

My almost six month ruby is named Mika, and my new 2.5 year old tri girl is named Natalie.  Natalie is very mismarked for a tri.  She looks like a black/tan but has white legs and is white under the chin and chest area.  Her tail is black with a white tip.  She is unique for sure. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow.

They are the most loving and sweetest dogs ever. my DH and I are very partial to this breed.

Give  your ruby hugs from me.

Valued Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

As many of you know, my two beloved Cavaliers passed in October and January.  In February, I got a new puppy. 

We wanted to get two, but prefer females and the breeder only had males left.  Back in March, I contacted another breeder who had a new litter coming.  Her price was more than I was willing to pay, but I thanked her for her time and for responsibility breeding these puppies.

Two weeks later she sent me e-mail saying she knew somone who wanted to find a new home for their two year old Cavalier and wanted to know if I was interested.

Anyhow, to make a long story short, we finally got the new dog last night.  She is really cute and lovable.  She acts like she has always lived here with us...no adjustment period needed. 

This morning, I gave her a bath, groomed and trimmed her and cut her nails.  The poor dog is so painfully thin.  I had tears running down my cheeks when I felt her bones while bathing her. She has certainally been neglected. She was pretty dirty too.

Right now my DH and I are so happy.  We can't believe our wonderful luck in getting this new dog.

Our home is now full again.

God bless you and your new baby!!!!...she'll gain weight and be fine in no time..she knows she's HOME now! Heart

Regular Contributor

How is her appetite doing?   In reading our other new adopter's (nicknack) post about her new little rescue not eating. hoping Natalie is chowing down since she is underweight. 

My niece had this kind of dog.  Such a charming little dog he was, although he was on the larger end of the breed. He died of the heart disease that is so common in them at 9 yrs.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie  Congratulations on the new addition to your family.  If she is anything like when we got Maui last July, she will be so thrilled to have good food.  Many happy years with her.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Congratulations to both you and your pup!  I am so very happy you were brought together to love each other.

I am sure your heart and home are now more complete.

Honored Contributor

@mrssweetiebear wrote:

How is her appetite doing?   In reading our other new adopter's (nicknack) post about her new little rescue not eating. hoping Natalie is chowing down since she is underweight. 

My niece had this kind of dog.  Such a charming little dog he was, although he was on the larger end of the breed. He died of the heart disease that is so common in them at 9 yrs.

I was wondering the same thing. I was thinking if Natalie was eating well, too bad the "girls" couldn't have a play date. And Natalie and NickNick's dog could have some light snacks together.

Honored Contributor

@mrssweetiebear   according to her previous human, she has a poor appetite and won't eat.

I tried a few different types of dog kibble and canned food to entice her to eat, but she wasn't interested.  I made some homemade food with ground beef, rice and veggies and I mixed that with kibble and she ate that. I guess I need to cook for her.

She does eat very slow.  I have to coax her at meal times.  She is painfully thin and has no meat over her bones.

We have a Vet appt next week.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@mrssweetiebear   according to her previous human, she has a poor appetite and won't eat.

I tried a few different types of dog kibble and canned food to entice her to eat, but she wasn't interested.  I made some homemade food with ground beef, rice and veggies and I mixed that with kibble and she ate that. I guess I need to cook for her.

She does eat very slow.  I have to coax her at meal times.  She is painfully thin and has no meat over her bones.

We have a Vet appt next week.

@Carmie   I'm having the same problem with my new Frenchie not eating.  She likes Fresh Pet Select Home Cooked Chicken Recipe.  It's the larger pieces, not the small balls for small dogs.  She didn't like that.  I mix it with her Wellness Kibble.  I got her on Friday, and she finally started eating this last night and this morning.  You might want to try it.  It's fresh cooked food that you serve from the refrigerator.  You can buy it from Kroger or Target.  Kroger had a terrible selection here, but Target's selection was pretty good.  It's in a refrigerator in the pet food section.  I hope she starts eating for you soon.  I wonder if she needs an appetite stimulant.

I also wanted to thank you for suggesting the SturdiPet bag for me a while back.  I was looking for something to take Frankie to and from the Vet in when she was so sick.  She didn't like her car seat. I had ordered it from her from Chewy at that time.  They were very slow in their shipping due to Covid-19, and Frankie died, so I cancelled the order.  

I reordered it when I got Ava, and it came yesterday.  I put it together and put it in my car.  I think I will really like it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack I will try the Fresh Pet food you suggested.  I have four different bags of kibble that she won't touch, plus the baggie of some unknown food she came with and Wellness canned fiod.

Late last night, she developed very loose stools.  Again, this morning.  I hope I can find something that she likes that agrees with her.

I am glad you like the Sturdi bag.  Remember to not close the privacy curtains over the mesh doors.  I did that once and it got too hot in the bag.  I felt terrible for doing that, but I had no idea that would happen.I

Than you for your suggestions.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie   Thank you.  I opened the privacy curtains and velcroed them before I put it in my car.  It's hard to tell that they're there, and they don't give you any instructions on them, just how to put it together.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau