Esteemed Contributor

Re: Adopted a Redbone Coonhound....

@colliegirls wrote:

Things should calm down soon, sounds like they already are.

Several of our housebroken rescues had a few mishaps in the new enviornment until they figured out where the doors were and where they were to do their business.  I kept them in the kitchen and family room until they adjusted.

In addition to the dog learning where and when @Julie928, you also have to learn Paisley's signals that she wants/needs to go out.  Some dogs make their need very clear, others are extremely subtle.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Super Contributor

I am so happy to hear you did not march back to the shelter with him.  And so nice

to hear from you...... this too shall pass.  Just take it one day at a time.  As time

goes on it will get better eventually.  Our daughter and husband adopted 2 rescues

nearly a month apart.   Her eating situations are sometimes the same as yours.

Fast forward to 5 months later, things are getting better.  Routine and sticking

with commands have been very helpful.  And yes.... sometimes.... they do not

know their size and come a runnin' .  It's all good though.  Dogs are family.....

your new boy is getting use to being in a family situation and I am sure it is

all he can do to hold his excitement.   It would be great if you could post a

picture of all of your doggies..... including Dresden.  Would love to see. 

Take Care and keep in touch with all of us !  okay?

@Julie928 wrote:

Hello, everyone.  I wanted to thank all of you for your responses and give an update.  I love to see our current dog running and playing with her.  Today we bought one of those twisted ropes and had a blast watching the two of them chase each other then stop to play tug-of-war.  What a difference a day makes!  I no longer feel like a fool ~ I feel good knowing we are giving her the best home we can.  I love what @stargazergal wrote about looking into her eyes and her knowing it is because of Dres that she was rescued.  Yes, deep breaths.  Thank you for reminding me to step back and breathe.  Oh, she can be a pistol!  Tonight I had to eat dinner standing up because she was bound & determined to get her gums on my food, lol!  This behavior will pass ~ it's just that sometimes (depending on the day) it can make me want to pull my hair out!  We took her to the vet for a check-up today.  I discussed my concerns about some of the behavior and our one dog not wanting anything to do with her.  He told us that this is normal and it will take time.  He said that everything I mentioned sounds like normal new dog behavior ~ actually on the lesser end of the drama scale.  I was so glad to hear that.  When we got home she climbed in my lap (oh yeah, she's HUGE) and licked my face.  There will be peace in our kingdom.  Patience, kindness and lots of love will make that happen ~ as well as reminders from good people like all of you that anything good is worth waiting for.  Thank you everyone. 

Super Contributor

How sweet ...... him climbing into your lap and kissing your face.  Something about

that makes it all worth while.  He knows you rescued him..... keeping him busy and

exercised is going to help you and your doggie out more than you might realise.

Also.... You Tube is a great place to go to get great puppy/ dog training ideas.

Clicker training, rewarding good behaviors with small treats.  Being consistant

in his training with simple commands,  such as sit, stay, down, and off,

(if he jumps).   and moving from there.  Please keep us updated.  So happy

to hear you took a step back and realised you are not crazy after all.  Your

doggies are so Thankful for you...... really they are.... keep up the great work

things will get better as time goes on.... I am sure of it.  Thanks for sharing your

wonderful rescue story with all of us~

@stargazergal wrote:

I am so happy to hear you did not march back to the shelter with him.  And so nice

to hear from you...... this too shall pass.  Just take it one day at a time.  As time

goes on it will get better eventually.  Our daughter and husband adopted 2 rescues

nearly a month apart.   Her eating situations are sometimes the same as yours.

Fast forward to 5 months later, things are getting better.  Routine and sticking

with commands have been very helpful.  And yes.... sometimes.... they do not

know their size and come a runnin' .  It's all good though.  Dogs are family.....

your new boy is getting use to being in a family situation and I am sure it is

all he can do to hold his excitement.   It would be great if you could post a

picture of all of your doggies..... including Dresden.  Would love to see. 

Take Care and keep in touch with all of us !  okay?

@Julie928 wrote:

Hello, everyone.  I wanted to thank all of you for your responses and give an update.  I love to see our current dog running and playing with her.  Today we bought one of those twisted ropes and had a blast watching the two of them chase each other then stop to play tug-of-war.  What a difference a day makes!  I no longer feel like a fool ~ I feel good knowing we are giving her the best home we can.  I love what @stargazergal wrote about looking into her eyes and her knowing it is because of Dres that she was rescued.  Yes, deep breaths.  Thank you for reminding me to step back and breathe.  Oh, she can be a pistol!  Tonight I had to eat dinner standing up because she was bound & determined to get her gums on my food, lol!  This behavior will pass ~ it's just that sometimes (depending on the day) it can make me want to pull my hair out!  We took her to the vet for a check-up today.  I discussed my concerns about some of the behavior and our one dog not wanting anything to do with her.  He told us that this is normal and it will take time.  He said that everything I mentioned sounds like normal new dog behavior ~ actually on the lesser end of the drama scale.  I was so glad to hear that.  When we got home she climbed in my lap (oh yeah, she's HUGE) and licked my face.  There will be peace in our kingdom.  Patience, kindness and lots of love will make that happen ~ as well as reminders from good people like all of you that anything good is worth waiting for.  Thank you everyone. 

Honored Contributor

@Marp

Wouldn't it be wonderful to speak dog and cat?

I only have cats these days (condo) but they clearly communicate with each other but 9/10 of the time it's imperceptible!

I think it also important that @Julie928 be cognizant of her own physical signals; she (the new girl) will pay attention to the interaction with the other 2 and pick up clues to her own behavior and what triggers some wonderful response from @Julie928 !

"I'm going to do that too!"

Esteemed Contributor

@Julie928 I just want to say I think you're a wonderfully kind person.  I hope it gets better and better for you and your family,furry and otherwise.  We've had our share of nightmare behaviour with all our rescues...all worth it.  Bless you and so sorry about your sweet Dresden.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

I too have a coonhound.  We adopted her from my daughter's vet school.  She was a laboratory dog, and was put up for adoption at a one and half years old.  The adjustment period was tough.  It took about a year for her to turn into a dog.

She got along with our other dog from the get-go, but it took a while for her to "settle in."  We have had her for about five years now, and I have to say she is a wonderful girl.  She is soooooo attached to us, and so affectionate.  I will say that IMO coonhounds are kind of high maintenance.  She is very vocal when she wants something, and she can be kind of hyper.  HOwever, when she is in sleep mode, she wants to sleeeeeeeep.

She is a character, and we adore her.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you everyone for your responses!  @MoJoV ~ Your words made me smile ~ thank you for taking the time to write what you did.  :-) 

@faeriemoon ~ Yes!  When she is sleeping (as she is now) she is out like a light!  I told my husband how lucky we are that she actually sleeps straight through the night.  I can relate to everything you wrote!  She is affectionate but soooooo hyper & high-maintenance at times.  She gets along great with Betty, our coonhound/boxer mix.  The two of them playing is so great!  Our Cody, a border collie/lab mix still seems to want nothing to do with her.  We are SLOWLY introducing them to each other.  I worry that she will jump on him and roughhouse like she does wih Betty and I just know he'll want NOTHING to do with that.

Funny story ~ we took Paisley to the vet a few days ago to be checked out (the shelter requests this be done after a pet is adopted).  He took her in back to give her a shot for the leptospirosis (spelling?)  virus.  I heard the vet and some of the techs laughing and thought, 'Oh, man ~ now what did she do?'  He came back in the room with her and told us that the vaccination is kept in the refrigerator and while he was getting it out she helped herself to some dog food that was in there!  That's my girl!  Let's just say my countertops have never been so clean and uncluttered since she came into our lives, lol! 

Honored Contributor

@Julie928

She sounds wonderful!

They're such beautiful dogs and definitely one I'd be interested in if I were to go to a shelter to adopt.