Regular Contributor

Re: Adding another dog to our pack

Thank you all for your honest replies. I know that the dog has other potential adopters so perhaps I should pass. I don’t think I could have a trial period- That could be a few days only my dogs meeting him in neutral ground for a couple hours. I’m now thinking this may be unfair to do to my older pups . I appreciate yiu all sharing your experiences.
Honored Contributor

@lynbeechwood wrote:
Thank you all for your honest replies. I know that the dog has other potential adopters so perhaps I should pass. I don’t think I could have a trial period- That could be a few days only my dogs meeting him in neutral ground for a couple hours. I’m now thinking this may be unfair to do to my older pups . I appreciate yiu all sharing your experiences.

I really think you're making the right decision @lynbeechwood .

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

@lynbeechwood wrote:
Hi there- I have three small dogs and am possibly adopting a larger dog Soon- who needs a new home. I have 1 female and 2 males all are spayed/ neutered and get along well. Have any of you integrated a larger dog in- he is described as a lover and currently lives with other dogs and cats. Two of my dogs are seniors and one is three. The dog I am looking to adopt is also around three.
Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!
My three are all adopted from rescues or shelters. I don’t want to upset my three and am looking to help another animal in need. But trying to keep my emotions out of this and make a smart decision!

@lynbeechwoodIn 2017, I had 4 dogs ... 2 American Hairless Terriers (3 year old males, 15 and 20 lbs), a Boston Terrier (4 year old male, 30 lbs) and a Dogue de Bordeaux (6 year old female, 135 lbs). In Sept. 2017, my DDB passed away from a stroke. In Oct. 2017, I adopted (2 weeks apart) a 3 year old German Shepherd (female, 75 lbs) and a 3 year old Cane Corso (male, 150 lbs). The GSD and CC were from a city shelter and they were both picked up as strays, so I had no background information on them. I had to go with my gut when I met them at the shelter. Sure, I was nervous, but I had faith in my ability to judge the dogs' personalities and I knew the 3 I already had would be noisy, but fine when they met the new dogs. I think the important thing is to really be honest with yourself about your dogs and the other dog ... and how much you're willing to work on any problems, if needed. In my house, the 2 AHTs boss the others around and the CC is the most docile in the group. Here's a picture of them two days after the CC joined the family ...All Five.JPG

Respected Contributor

@lynbeechwood 

You've already rec'd many opinions & recommendations, so I won't add to that .. instead, I'd just like to thank you for having a kind heart to consider adopting another pooch.  If it works out great, if not, it will be unfortunate for you both, but probably the best decision.

Good luck with your choice.