Respected Contributor

As some of you may know, we rescued Lily (my avatar) almost two years ago and the vet estimated her to be between 3-5 years old, which would make her between 5-7 now.

DH and I  are considering getting another cat from a shelter, a kitten this time, and we'll probably get a male since I've heard that a female cat would more readily accept a male than another female into "her territory".

Although we haven't finalized our decision to expand our fur family, I've never had more than one cat at a time and have a question. Maybe the owners of multiple cats here can advise me.

To what extent do cats "share" things? Do we have to have two of everything or would the new kitten be ok using what Lily has? I figure he might need his own food and water dishes but do we also have to have a separate litter box? 

Any and all advice is appreciated. TIA!

Honored Contributor

@beastielove

Would you offer assistance to @Texasmouse please?

Thank you 

Respected Contributor

Thank you @butterfly123 Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@Texasmouse  I have 5 cats.  You should always have at least one more litter box than the amount of cats you have.  I give them dry food always and it is in large pet bowls.  They usually eat at different times so having just a couple of those kind of bowls around the house or in one room is ok.  As far as the can food, I have one dish for each cat and put them down in the same place but they don't share that food unless one walks away and the others eat it.  The water I just put a big bowl out.

I agree in getting a male if you already have a female.  They accept each other much quicker.  Good luck and thank you for adopting a rescue.

Honored Contributor

Cats will time share the best spots as long as they get along and are friendly with each other. I agree with the one more litter box than toy have cats. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

@Texasmouse

I've always had 2 cats at a time.

The first time I had both a female & male.  They played together all of the time.  They got along while kittens & as they got a few years older, the female would slap her brother across the face frequently.  It continued till the end, mostly at meal time.  I don't know how it started because when they were kittens, the played well together (while making a wreck of my house.)

My second two are both female sisters - now 17 yrs. old.  One of them for many years was the aggressor & slap her sister or just start the hissing, then fighting.  The past couple of years, she's more tame.

Kitty litter - I've always had 2 boxes.  We clean them every AM & PM, sometimes more.

Food - started with kitten food.  Both can & hard.  The past 5 yrs. or so, they stopped eating the can food.  The dry food has been a mystery.  They like a brand, then refuse it, I tried so many different brands.  But mostly they've been eating the Hills Science Diet for sensitive stomachs & in the evenings they eat the Rachel Ray salmon/brown rice.  They drink from the same water bowl which I change each meal time & before bed.

They don't play together anymore.  They mostly are more calm & nap often.  

Playtime - both sets of cats had great enjoyment in the grocery bags.  They loved it.  I never bought toys for them separately because they get scattered all over.  They sometimes picked a favorite but mostly it didn't matter.  They also loved the squeaky mice, jingle balls.  You'll discover more as you shop in the stores.

Good luck in making your decision.  I personally think a companion, whether it be 2 cats or 1 cat/ 1 dog or more is best.  We currently have the 2 sister cats & a very large black lab.  Thank you for thinking of adopting a rescue, so many of them need homes.

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse........Hi.  How are you doing after the removal of your Mortons Neuroma?  Are you back to "normal?"  Mine is starting to bother me more frequently, so I am going to have to get it removed soon.

Hope you get your kitty situation figured out and everything works out great!

Thanks for adopting.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Frequent Contributor

I have 7 cats ranging from 2 years ol to 14.  I feed them separately, in their own space becasue of 2 reasons.  I have one that got nervous and ate fast around other kitties and wouldn't keep his food down and 2 I know who is eating and whih one isn't.  This helps to find out earlier if a kitty is sick.  It also helps if you have to give one medicine in their food and not the other.

Litter boxes..always have one extra one.  Some cats have favorites and don't share.  Other times they want to do their different types of business in a separate boxes.  Again I have 7 and have learned alot.  It is ok to have the boxes together or separate.

I feed them 2 twice a day in the am and in the evening, change the water bowls twice a day.  I pick up the food within 10 minutes of feed them and leave a little dry out for munching. (maybe about 10-20 pieces of food)  Wash the water bowls out with dish detergent once a day.  Have a little trickle of water running in the bathtub for those who want fresh running water.

Cute story...brought a kitten home from the rescue and baby gated them in the kitchen so they could get used to the house and the larger cats would get used to the smell.  Thought I was doing good according to what I read about slowly introducing the kitten to the cats.  Until the next morning all the cats were in the kitchen sleeping with the kitten.  I still kept the baby gates up, in order not to give too much space all at once to the kitten.  But she had visitors all day long. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Depends on the cats.  First few weeks may be stressful.  Remember that kitten is invading your adult cats kingdom.  DEFINATELY add another litter box.  New food bowls, new toys and a new blanket or bed that your older kitty has No prior claim on would be a bit of a help.  When playing with the kitten it should be treat time for your older girl. She needs to know she's not being deposed and you still love her.  They will settle into their own routine given time.

Honored Contributor

Re: Adding a kitten

[ Edited ]

@butterfly123 wrote:

@beastielove

Would you offer assistance to @Texasmouse please?

Thank you 

@butterfly123

I just saw this thread and read

your post this morning.Thank you for

reaching out to me.

@Texasmouse

First of all bless your beautiful

heart for rescuing a shelter kitten!

I read all of the other posts and

there is little that I can add

to the wonderful advice that

you've already received.