Honored Contributor

I was sitting in the lounge area of my building on the 1st floor.  This woman came from her apt. complaining that her dog was barking so she said she put something over his mouth (I guess like a muzzle).  I said how is the dog suppose to drink his water?  She said, he'll have to wait until I get home, I said I can't believe you did that.  I was very upset and still am.  How can you abuse your own pet?  That is so sick.  She dresses the dog up with hats and matching outfit but I think it is bizarre because the way she was talking she was treating the dog like a human -- it's a dog.  I don't know if I want to ever talk to this woman again.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Did you call Animal Control?  I would.

Respected Contributor

First of all, it sounds like she's tired of having the animal.

Second, what she's doing is what tons of people do with dogs which I call dog nuttery is dress them up in clothing and put them in baby strollers.

Third, probably someone or multiple someones' complained about it barking all day long which is seriously annoying.

Fourth, no it's not right to just muzzle it and leave it unattended.

Fifth, dog waste is now the same as toxic chemicals that are in our drinking water according to the EPA.  They did studies and found dog bacteria coliform in our drinking water because of 78 million dogs in the US.  To me, I'd like clean drinking water.

Sixth, don't be upset.  It's actually her own property.  The law sees animals as such.  What upsets me is thousands of dog attacks on our children.  Hospital ERs are loaded with little babies two weeks old and the like in ERs dying from dog attack.

Sorry, I guess you like dogs.  I'm not a dog person.  I see them as a liability, not an asset.  I having nothing against you at all and it's nice that you feel bad for it but like the other poster said, you could call animal control.

Esteemed Contributor

How terribly upsetting.  I would call perhaps your local Humane Society.  It’s been many years since we had a dog, and we are too old to take that on.  But every time I see a dog, I smile so much my face hurts.  How can you not love them?

We do adopt one kitty at a time, having our Winston for a year.

He is such a blessing to us.  

It takes a sick person to abuse any animal.  they are never 

“property” in my view.  You are their guardians, not owners.

Respected Contributor

That is upsetting. Maybe if you see her again you could suggest that she get a bark collar.

for the information of a previous poster. Many people put their dogs in strollers because the dog is old or ill and cannot walk too far. I like to do 2 miles a day with my dog, but that 2nd mile is getting very hard on him, so I thought of getting a stroller so we can both still get out.He can walk the 1st mile and go in the stroller the 2nd mile.

Honored Contributor

@77yangya wrote:

First of all, it sounds like she's tired of having the animal.

Second, what she's doing is what tons of people do with dogs which I call dog nuttery is dress them up in clothing and put them in baby strollers.

Third, probably someone or multiple someones' complained about it barking all day long which is seriously annoying.

Fourth, no it's not right to just muzzle it and leave it unattended.

Fifth, dog waste is now the same as toxic chemicals that are in our drinking water according to the EPA.  They did studies and found dog bacteria coliform in our drinking water because of 78 million dogs in the US.  To me, I'd like clean drinking water.

Sixth, don't be upset.  It's actually her own property.  The law sees animals as such.  What upsets me is thousands of dog attacks on our children.  Hospital ERs are loaded with little babies two weeks old and the like in ERs dying from dog attack.

Sorry, I guess you like dogs.  I'm not a dog person.  I see them as a liability, not an asset.  I having nothing against you at all and it's nice that you feel bad for it but like the other poster said, you could call animal control.

@77yangya   Yep, you're definitely not a dog person.

They do bark, but there are training techniques to use other than a "muzzle" to stop that behavior.  A training leash can be be gently wrapped around the dog's snout  in a gentle way to protect the dog and allow it to still drink. There are training devices like sound signals done with a remote to break that behavior. 

Some people enjoy dressing their dogs. Molly and my other beagles wear "scarves" when out walking. Folks enjoy seeing them "dressed" for holidays with appropriate attire...but only neckerchiefs with pumpkins, flags for July 4th, etc. 

Vicious dogs should be kept on leash or fenced to prevent accidents happening by harming children...and adults, BTW. Rarely, the person is harmed because they didn't approach the dog in a proper manner and may have frightened it or seemed aggressive towards the dog. 

Uh, dogs need to do their "business" just like humans. It's the owner's responsibility to pick it up ASAP and dispose of it just like you would flush yours. 

My Sadie had to ride in a stroller on walks with us because she had arthritis in her back legs and better to have her out with us than left home alone....

If you're not a dog person, please try to be a bit more understanding and tolerant of those of us who are. 

Have a nice day............ 

Honored Contributor

Wish I had not seen this post.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 Animal abuse is terrifying.  Choosing to not to talk to the woman will not help, but a report that initiates an investigation might. The abuser needs education on how to train her dog.  Big different between clothes on a dog put there by loving owners and muzzling a dog so he can't eat/drink being left alone all day or using a "bark/shock" collar. Sorry about this upsetting event, but maybe you will be the one who can make a difference. At least, the questions can be ask by professionals, who can determine the status of the dog.

Esteemed Contributor

Since you really have no idea what she put on her dog, your jumping to abuse is unwarranted.  You also have no idea how long she will be gone and the dog without water.  Unless you have worked with truly abused animals you have no idea how horrible people can be.  Just because she treats/trains her dog differently then you might is not abuse.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@77yangya - Wow.  Was all that really necessary?  I'd rather have a hundred dogs living next to me than some people.

You'd like to have clean drinking water?  And you think dogs are responsible for all the contamination?  Think again!  The biggest polluter of water (and the planet) is humankind.  (Example:  dogs didn't contaminate the water in Flint, Michigan for years.)  The toxic chemicals being found in groundwater are there because of humans, not animals.

But I guess we'd better start monitoring all the wild animals who don't have sense enough to pick up after themselves.  I'm sure they must be contributing to the contamination of our water.

Your point #6 - Animal cruelty is illegal.  So, while the dog is "her own property", that does not give her the right to abuse it.  Under the law.  If this woman is indeed muzzling the dog all day, that is abuse.

Hospital ERs are loaded with little two-week-old babies dying from dog attacks?  I'd like to see some factual evidence of that.

You've made extreme points based on the fact you simply don't like dogs.  The OP was asking for advice about how to deal with a situation.  She didn't ask for a lecture about all the ills visited on the planet by dogs.  SMH.

(ETA:  This thread is in the "Pet Lovers" forum, so I'm surprised you even bothered to read it, just to lecture on the evils of dogs.)