Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 - I'd try to find out what the woman meant by putting something over her dog's mouth.

I'd hate to think what she may have used.  That dog could be truly suffering, especially if she's gone all day.  If she used something very constricting, the dog might not even be able to pant (which as any dog owner would know, is its method of regulating body heat).

It's possible that someone has complained about the dog barking; also a sign that the dog is being left alone for too much of the time.  There are dog daycares, if she's gone all day long.

Good luck with this.  Please let us know what, if anything, you do about it and the outcome.

Honored Contributor

@Another new name Sue 

Regarding the "bark/shock" collar....I'm sure you might not be aware of the detrimental effects on the dog as you are a loving dog owner.  There are lots of alternative training strategies that work that are not harmful.

Your post speaks to the love, care, and devotion of the owners and the lengths we will go to in caring for our family. There are dog owners who carry their animals home when the dogs are walked in our community.  We have been told by both that their pets are old/in pain, but don't want to deprive them of their walks and when the animals can't continue they are picked up and carried home.  How beautiful that we care enough to carry, stroll, dress-up our precious dog family members who have given us such unconditional love.

Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1  It sounds like too much is going on with that woman to have a dog, and I understand why you are upset.  I probably would call animal control or maybe your local humane society to ask that they check out the living circumstances.  It could have just been a bad day for both of them.  Or, talk to management and have them discuss some options with her (I would do this first).

If barking is a concern, PetSafe has alternatives that do not harm the dog.  Nothing to shock them, but a high-pitch noise to halt the immediate behavior.  I have a collar one for Maui and also a clicker one (only the cat seems to hear the clicker).  

As far as a stroller, Maui cannot walk as far as I like to go, so she has a stroller.  It really comes in handy during hot weather.

If you see this woman again, you might want to mention some things that would help.  But, keep in mind that she may not want suggestions or care to hear them.  You might also ask the neighbors, some of whom may know her well.  The most important thing is the safety of her dog, since the dog cannot speak for itself.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

The first thing I thought of is If the dog's mouth is closed and it can't pant, the dog could be in extreme danger.  Even in an air conditioned building, dogs pant.  My mini Aussie is on my lap right now and it's chilly in my AC with ceiling fan and he's panting.  This is what dog's do because they can't sweat and it regulates their body temperatures. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Dogs bark for a reason and some bark more than others.  She is downright cruel to do what she's doing.  She should not have an animal.  I don't know well you know her, but you might want to suggest that she should give up the dog.  This is not your problem to solve, but it's hard not to take some kind of action.  By the way, the dog could become aggressive because the owner is trying to suppress what it's conditioned to do.  What she's doing is NOT right or acceptable.  Dogs can't speak up for themselves, so yes, we have to do it to protect them.  

By the way, I had a neighbor years ago who had a German shepherd.  Beautiful dog, but the minute the family left the house, it barked continuously until they arrived back home.  That could be hours.  The minute they walked in to the house, it stopped barking so it was hard convincing them that the dog barked all day.  However, one of the other crazy neighbors threatened to kill the dog if they didn't do something about it.  They addressed the problem.  If they were going to be away for an extended period of time, someone else either stayed at their house or took it to their own place.  By the way, I don't really think my neighbor would have killed the dog, but he was at his wit's end.  

Valued Contributor

An animal is not an "it," and although law says differently it is quite sad that anyone would consider a living thing as merely "property."  

Honored Contributor

For the poster who considers dogs a "liability, not an asset" - 

I wonder if that applies to seeing-eye dogs?  To search and rescue dogs?  (Think Surfside, FL.)  To military and police dogs?  To dogs used to detect seizures in a person before that person is aware, who might otherwise come to harm without the warning?

Still SMH.

Honored Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

That is upsetting. Maybe if you see her again you could suggest that she get a bark collar.

for the information of a previous poster. Many people put their dogs in strollers because the dog is old or ill and cannot walk too far. I like to do 2 miles a day with my dog, but that 2nd mile is getting very hard on him, so I thought of getting a stroller so we can both still get out.He can walk the 1st mile and go in the stroller the 2nd mile.

Because inflicting discomfort and pain on the dog is less abusive...?