Respected Contributor

I was on my way home this afternoon and was following a truck up the road when I happen to witness ...A dog flipped over the edge of a pickup truck in front of me.  The young guy got out and the dog waddled off but he did manage to catch up to him and put him in the cab of the truck.  I had stopped so as not to hit the poor dog when it rolled.  People please do not allow your dog to ride in the back, you never know if you will need to stop on a dime or they will fall.  Personally I find this behavior as abuse!

Esteemed Contributor

This is painful to read. I wish you had stopped and helped the dog (taken it to a vet).

Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

This is painful to read. I wish you had stopped and helped the dog (taken it to a vet).

@Goldengate8361 If I'm reading it right, the driver got the dog and placed it in the cab of the truck. It's a wonder he even knew the dog had fallen out. I imagine if he had kept driving that the OP would have been out there trying to rescue this dog. 

Esteemed Contributor

@BlueFinch ah ...ok. I guess I read it too fast. Thank you! I appreciate your response.

Honored Contributor

The proper way to transport a dog in the bed of a truck is inside a secured, covered and ventilated pet carrier. Bugs can blind a dogs eyes.

Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361 I stopped to block the traffic flow so the guy could get his dog.  I felt like had it had been seriously hurt, it might bite me so I stayed in my car and put my flashers on in case it was in shock and ran.

Honored Contributor

Its illegal to transport unconfined animals in the back of an open truck in my state.

My rescue buddy and I once met a man at a designated spot for him to surrender his purebred collie to us.  It was a rainy, bitterly cold winter day and he'd driven some distance.  The poor dog was in a wire crate in the back of his open pick up, very, very chilled.  We surely were glad to get the poor dog in our warm car.  I'm sure the dog was elated too.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

@katrina624--YOU ARE AMAZING!

Honored Contributor

I'm pretty sure it's not legal in my state to transport a dog that way....