Esteemed Contributor

Has anyone here used Allivet for their pet's prescription medication?

If so please relate your experience with them.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I have been ordering Vetmedin from them for over a year.  I get my meds on auto delivery for a 5% discount. This drug is very expensive.  I have no complaints.  They send the Meds on time and contact the Vet when the prescription needs renewed.

Twice in the past 6 months, this drug was backordered and was not available anywhere. Allivet had it in stock right away...way before the other Pharmacies.  My Vet was surprised to know that...all of the other pet parents were trying to find this med.

I would recommend this Pharmacy based on my good experience.

Trusted Contributor

Do you know that Costco also supplies meds for pets at good prices.  You do not have to be a member to get prescriptions filled-human or pet-just walk in to the pharmacy.  If you are a member the prices can be even a few more dollars less.  I don't know if you live near one.  They will give you a price on the phone.  Sometimes they do not carry a drug you need for your pet.

Respected Contributor

@Marp   I have ordered from them in the past and had good luck, but be sure to check the expiration dates.  I bought some medication from them once (larger size to save $) and per the date on the box, it expired in a few months, when normally it has at least a year shelf life.

I called, and complained, and they eventually refunded my order because I re-ordered but got two smaller sized bottles (for a little more money) after confirming that the expiration dates were several months out.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

@kjae wrote:

Do you know that Costco also supplies meds for pets at good prices.  You do not have to be a member to get prescriptions filled-human or pet-just walk in to the pharmacy.  If you are a member the prices can be even a few more dollars less.  I don't know if you live near one.  They will give you a price on the phone.  Sometimes they do not carry a drug you need for your pet.

@kjae,  I did know about Costco and even though there is not one near me I did check their price and was greatly surprised that they were far above other pet pharmacies.

Esteemed Contributor

@CAcableGirl2,  thanks for the heads up. If I decide to go with Allivet I will be sure to discuss that with them but I will be at the mercy of their forthrightness.

The medication is bottled in quantities of 1000 and I  will be ordering 100 tablets which will be nearly a one year supply.  Still, being a tablet it should still be good well past the label expiration date.

Honored Contributor

Re: About Allivet

[ Edited ]

I don't know about other types of prescription medications, but for Heartguard, Interceptor for cats, and Nexgard, Chewy is less expensive.

Edited to say:  I just checked Vetmedin, and Chewy is less expensive on that, too.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack,  Chewy does have really good prices on some prescription medications, often the best price, and competitive prices on some but it still pays (or rather saves) to check other pet pharmacies.

The medication I need for my dog is .87 per pill at Chewy but at Allivet is it .66 per pill for up to 99 but drops to .64 per pill for 100.  That is a substantial per pill difference.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I don't know about other types of prescription medications, but for Heartguard, Interceptor for cats, and Nexgard, Chewy is less expensive.

Edited to say:  I just checked Vetmedin, and Chewy is less expensive on that, too.

Chewy often does not have Vetmedin in stock.  This drug comes in a couple of strengths and the price is very different for each.  My dog uses two pills a day at $1.50 each.

It used to be $1 each.  I am just glad when I can get it.  It's a heart med and is vital.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

Chewy often does not have Vetmedin in stock.  This drug comes in a couple of strengths and the price is very different for each.  My dog uses two pills a day at $1.50 each.

It used to be $1 each.  I am just glad when I can get it.  It's a heart med and is vital.

@Carmie   Yes, I used to have Cavaliers (which is what I think you have), and two of them were on Vetmedin when it first came out.  Before Vetmedin, they were always on lasix and enalapril.  I think they still used those two plus Vetmedin when it came out.  

The heart meds are miracle drugs.  I've had five Cavaliers.  All had MVD, but only one of them died from heart failure.  The others all died from cancer.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau