Esteemed Contributor

I think........the reason we're seeing so many of these ads right now is ....because it's winter and seeing animals out in the cold shivering projects a very strong impression on us.  If I gave you details about the huge (and I mean huge) amount of $ stolen from our local SPCA - by the manager & his female lover - used to travel to every gambling location in the US - you would be sick.  He's now in prison for a very long time but he/she had a great ride while it lasted.  A bank teller saw the checks made out to himself and alerted the law.

Honored Contributor

The commercials are on a lot here too.  I turn the channel till they are over.  I won't be guilted into making a donation.  I feel local is better.  The shelter here asks for donations of items.  

Honored Contributor

I feel that way about  all those starving children ads asking for money where they show all those clips of hungry kids around the world.  I think all those types of ads have merit and need donations. 

As for the salaries of those heading up these organizations - you need to pay well to get anyone who has the skills to stay on the job for any length of time.  If not they will leave for a more lucrative job after getting some experience and someone else will have to start from scratch which is not good for any company.  Who could afford to do the same type of job that pays well in the private sector for next to nothing??!!  

Respected Contributor

@GCR18

I totally agree with you. Give locally.

I’m actually out of touch with what a CEO of a large organization should be paid, but I agree with another poster that to get good people you have to pay.

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

The ASPCA ads are artfully created to play on the sympathy of viewers, and I find them to be disgusting.  The fact that they're shown so frequently doesn't mean a thing except that this agency wants money.  Do you have any idea what they do with the funds they rake in?  They never say, do they?  I have my own animal charity to which I donate, but if I selected the SPCA, it would be our local group.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3286

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

Perhaps I should re-name this thread; my intention is not to debate the legitimacy of the ASPCA, but the ongoing animal abuse that is all around us.  Like it or not, regardless if the ASPCA is lining their pockets with ethical concerns, no one can take away the awareness & sad reality of the animal abuse that continues to prevail.  

Esteemed Contributor

We help rescueorganiztions locally...where we can see our money make the difference