Honored Contributor

ASPCA Poisonous Plants For Pets

[ Edited ]

With Spring approaching and plants/weeds blooming, my rescue group posted this in our newsletter as a reminder, so I thought I would share.

Toxic and Non-Toxic Plants List

"ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number: (888) 426-4435

This list contains plants that have been reported as having systemic effects on animals and/or intense effects on the gastrointestinal tract. Please note that the information contained in our plant lists is not meant to be all-inclusive, but rather a compilation of the most frequently encountered plants.

Also, be advised that the consumption of any plant material may cause vomiting and gastrointestinal upset for dogs and cats. Plants listed as either non-toxic, or potentially toxic with mild GI upset as their symptoms are not expected to be life-threatening to your pets.

If you believe that your animal is ill or may have ingested a poisonous substance, or if you have any further questions regarding the information contained in this database, contact either your local veterinarian or the APCC 24-hour emergency poison hotline at 1-888-426-4435."

The list of plants including may common ones such as aloe vera, african violets, azaleas and many more!

Some I was aware of, some I wasn't aware of.

This link will list (and photos) of all of them, or you can narrow down your search by animal type:

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: ASPCA Poisonous Plants For Pets

Thank you for posting this @KingstonsMom.  I used to have African Violets and had no idea they were toxic to pets.  I'm glad to know that.  Now I have succulents, and I looked up which ones were toxic before I bought any.  A couple that I didn't see on the list were Euphorbias, and String of Pearls (Senecio).  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack

I know, African violets, aloe vera and azaleas surprised me!

I'm in the deep South and we have tons of azaleas everywhere!

ETA: Hug Frankie from me and Kingston!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@NickNack

I know, African violets, aloe vera and azaleas surprised me!

I'm in the deep South and we have tons of azaleas everywhere!

ETA: Hug Frankie from me and Kingston!Heart

@KingstonsMom  Hugs right back!   ❤️

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

It's interesting that wild animals (i.e. non-domesticated) pretty much know which plants to avoid, while our pets don't. 

Pets in our neighborhood are required to be leashed, so if one gets into my gardens and consumes a forbidden plant, well, we both suffer - I might lose the plant and the animal might get sick.

Honored Contributor

Fortunately, my dog leaves the outdoor flowers alone.  I used to have a Peace Lily from when my mom passed away.  A few months ago the cat ended up sick.  We did a fecal test at the vet and she said there was a lot of plant material in it.  Then it dawned on me that some of the leaves on my plant looked a little damaged.  He (we) were lucky that it didn't get any worse.  That was it for the plant, it went out to the trash that day.  Yes, I could have moved it but I doubt that would have helped since the cat roams all over the house.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom - Thanks for posting the reminder.  I came across this list last year after I adopted my two kitties and was surprised by some of the plants on the toxic list.  It's a good idea to review the list periodically,  especially if you have mischievous pets like I do.  My two can be quite determined to check out anything new & different,  so I really have to watch what cut flowers and houseplants I bring into my home.

Trusted Contributor

I just posted this in Gardens.  I just read this and saw that Rose of Sharon is toxic.  I have 5 HUGE bushes in my yard and I jsut got a HUSKY puppy.  DO I need to pull the bushes??