Super Contributor

ASIAN BEETLES IN DOG'S MOUTH

I won't post the pic, but this morning saw a news article about dogs getting asian beetles/ladybugs attached to the roof of their mouth. I had never even heard of this until I read the article. This vet said this was the 2nd dog he had seen in one day with these. I guess they have a very painful bite and cause the dog to drool a lot.

Like I said, I didn't post the pic because it could be disturbing to some, but just google the title of this topic to see the picture.

I will for sure keep on a lookout for these in our own precious furbaby's mouth.

Vicki

Respected Contributor

Re: ASIAN BEETLES IN DOG'S MOUTH

Snopes has an article about this. 

Respected Contributor

Gross!  Poor doggies........what's next?

Laura loves cats!
Frequent Contributor

@ vickisok,

What state is this in?  I'm wondering if it's in more humid or southern states....

Frequent Contributor

@ vickisok,

What state is this in?  I'm wondering if it's in more humid or southern states...

Poor babies!!!!!  

Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Frequent Contributor

I don't know if drooling in dogs is the same as humans but often excessive drooling in humans is a sign of inability to protect airway leading to intubation (big breathing tube down throat), and hooked to ventilator.

I wonder if the bites or too many beetles are causing swelling or mouth too full leading to the dogs becoming unable to swallow effectively or at all leading to drooling which in effect is inability to protect airway (dangerous!!) causing stuff that should be swallowed to get in lungs causing serious problems.....

Frequent Contributor

I read that article earlier, the picture was gross, the roof of the poor dogs mouth looked like it was covered in ticks. Never thought I would say "yuck" after seeing a picture of ladybugs but that's what came out of my mouth