Respected Contributor

ANYONE USE DOGGIE DIAPERS ON OLDER DOG??

Teaspoon is 16, she's a Maltese.  She's been having bathroom problems more often in the house.  Seems she can't hold her poop, sometimes she pees. Usually she lets me know to go outside, but there are days it seems to just fall out in the house.   Been happening almost daily now, but I'm taking her out every hour and staying out with her or else sometimes she won't do it outside.   Thankfully she's good through the night most nights,  but as soon as I see her get restless I take her out...could be 1am or 4am we're wandering around my property 🥱(in my underwear 😳).    My parents have doggie diapers from their late toy poodle and asked if I wanted to use them.   My question is, if they poop in the diaper, wouldn't it get all over their fur, and mess is worse??

I have all tile and wood floors so clean up really isn't bad.   Anyone have experience using them on a furry dog?

Trusted Contributor

Re: ANYONE USE DOGGIE DIAPERS ON OLDER DOG??

I have a 15-year-old Westie and she sometimes wears doggie diapers. I buy the reusable ones on Amazon and wash them up after use. They are a big help, tho Maggie is pretty good about going outside.

Honored Contributor

I have been there with a Samoyed...a white hairy dog.

Have the groomer give your dog a sanitary trim.  That will help with the clean up after a diaper change.

Honored Contributor

We used them for years with our Dalmatian.  While getting old, he just couldn't get outside fast enough.  He was not sick really, just aged.

It would happen to him upon waking, he just couldn't walk fast enough to get to the door.

So we always 'knew' when his diaper was full and was able to clean him pretty quick.

Granted, he was a short hair, but it wasn't an issue since our noses let us know to change him, before he would sit in it.  There was enough room in his diaper to eliminate it w/o smooshing against him.  Sorry about the description!

@Carmie  had a great suggestion.

Good luck, I know how hard this can be!!!  Bless your heart, you are doing a loving thing.

Contributor

I used them for years on my bichon Like the other poster said, keep the hair cut short. If cloth diaper, the insert pads can be pricey at the pet store, so I found a generic women's pad with good sticky. She was a small dog so usually got long pads and cut in half to fit in better. Good luck

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife , I appreciate your detailed experience...what you explained is exactly what I'm thinking.   The diapers may be more trouble than its worth.  I groom Teaspoon myself.   I did dog grooming years ago, so I've got the techniques.   I do keep her hair very short, and clean around the potty area.  Im thinking what you said, may get smushed😖.   I guess if things get out of control I'll have to consider the lesser of the two evils.   I've even left down the potty pads if I had to be out long, but Gabriel, my 2 yr old lab had a great day shredding them, so thats out.  I dont think they would help anyway,  because,  like you said, she drops it wherever, or on the way to the door.  Sometimes it appears she didn't even know it came out.  

Respected Contributor

I'm having the same problem with my 15 yo Maltese too.  She just goes anywhere now. Never did in the house before. She also is having trouble going up an down steps.  I put down puppy pads but she won't use them as she never had to do so before.  Always went out.  I hate when they get older. Sad. 

Honored Contributor

Many years ago I had an elderly Irish Setter who was incontinent at night. We bought diapers for like 2 year olds and I cut a hole out for his tail. It worked great! Kept his bed dry. 

Respected Contributor

@meem120 ,  Teaspoons back legs go out from to time.  Especially stepping up to come in the front door.  She also wobbles sometimes, like uncoordinated.  Vet said she has weak hind knees,  and staggering may be neurological, spinal.  Doesn't seem to bother her one bit..she just pops up if she falls.  I started giving her K9 liquid glucosamine, IDK?   It is really sad when they get old...she used to be the funniest  playful pup.

She's also become such a picky eater...never was before.

Yet she'll eat people food, but i have to watch because she needs to on a strict diet for her heart.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

@RespectLife , I appreciate your detailed experience...what you explained is exactly what I'm thinking.   The diapers may be more trouble than its worth.  I groom Teaspoon myself.   I did dog grooming years ago, so I've got the techniques.   I do keep her hair very short, and clean around the potty area.  Im thinking what you said, may get smushed😖.   I guess if things get out of control I'll have to consider the lesser of the two evils.   I've even left down the potty pads if I had to be out long, but Gabriel, my 2 yr old lab had a great day shredding them, so thats out.  I dont think they would help anyway,  because,  like you said, she drops it wherever, or on the way to the door.  Sometimes it appears she didn't even know it came out.  

I understand @Dazlin 

We used to laugh...UH OH, the rockets are shooting out!  He reminded me of one of those candy pooping Moose! 

We tried to joke about it.  Our kids were long outta diapers and now I was washing dog diapers!  Some ppl said we should put him down.  He was NOT suffering!  We didn't put our Granny down when she started to wear Depends!  Some ppl just don't understand the love and caring we will give our pets.

The diapers did catch most of it before it hit the floor so they did help.

Doo Doo is much easier to control.  We used to just take the diaper to the toilet to empty.

Wet messes are worse.

Our Puggle is now 14 and aging.  She still makes it to the door.  This new house has almost ALL tile.  Only the Great Room has carpets which when she was sick, we covered with old sheets to help.  The bedroom doors we keep shut.

I now go home during lunch to let her out.  I don't think she could hold it a full work day anymore.