Esteemed Contributor

ANYONE HAVE AN INTACT MALE DOG WITH A RETAINED

testicle?  My Willoughby does and he will be two years old in June.  We have had several vets tell us that this should be removed and after much reading, I have to agree that this will mean trouble sooner or later.  It is in his abdomen and the constant body temperature is not a good environment.  We were told he would eventually get a tumor and it could be malignant. 

My question is if you have or had a dog with this problem, what did you do about it?  Just get him neutered?  I have had two other dogs with this and I had them both neutered. 

This is why I am asking.  I don't want to have Willie fixed.  This is controversial, I know, but after much research, I am sure about this.  There are health benefits for maintaining testosterone. 

We consulted with a surgeon that has agreed to remove the retained testicle, but leave the other.  This doctor believes that the benefits from testosterone are over for Willie now that he is almost two.  I respectfully disagree.

What are your thoughts?

20180325_135815-1-1.jpg

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Contributor

Re: ANYONE HAVE AN INTACT MALE DOG WITH A RETAINED

I had a dog with this problem and he lived to be around 11 or 12.  He was eight when I got him.  He had to be put down with a hip problem when he lost the ability to walk and was in a lot of pain.  I would make sure to get a second opinion and research it and then make my decision.

Esteemed Contributor

@SusanH wrote:

I had a dog with this problem and he lived to be around 11 or 12.  He was eight when I got him.  He had to be put down with a hip problem when he lost the ability to walk and was in a lot of pain.  I would make sure to get a second opinion and research it and then make my decision.

@SusanH  Did you leave it that way without repair?  This is up in his abdomen and cannot be felt.  I have had several vets tell me it should be removed.  Whenever we have had him in for other things, I always asked about this. 

Thank you for taking the time to post.  Believe me, I have researched this.  Surgery of any kind makes me nervous. Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

Yes, my golden spirit ,when i got him,7 years ago the breeder told me  it might not  appear, i had him neutered at one year, never a problem.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I had a dog with this problem.  I had him neutered as I had planned to.  I think the problems from not neutering Willoughby (or removing the testicle) sound far worse than the possible problems from neutering him.  

I do understand your reluctance to surgery.  It always worries me when one of my pets has to go under anesthesia, but I know my Vet uses the safest methods possible.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Tends, the cross-species statistics on retained testicles are uniformly bad, they are always malignant tumors that spread rapidly and aggressively to other abdominal organs.  There's no "may" develop a tumor, it WILL, there's no "might" be malignant, it will be.  This is true in horses, dogs, and all other farm animals I have seen statistics on, and in fact most registries of purebred animals forbid the registration or breeding of cryptorchid males because the traith is highly heritable, and meat from such animals is worth far less from the intact hormonal taint because the flavor is off.  For Willoughby's health, there is FAR less benefit from the testosterone than there is risk from the retained gonad, I would urge you to have him completely neutered as soon as possible.

Honored Contributor

IMO the idea that neutering causes medical problems is a bunch of baloney. Domestic cats and dogs are always better off, and healthier, when spayed or neutered.

And OP, get the surgery done on your dog if you want to save his life.

Esteemed Contributor

@CamilleP wrote:

Tends, the cross-species statistics on retained testicles are uniformly bad, they are always malignant tumors that spread rapidly and aggressively to other abdominal organs.  There's no "may" develop a tumor, it WILL, there's no "might" be malignant, it will be.  This is true in horses, dogs, and all other farm animals I have seen statistics on, and in fact most registries of purebred animals forbid the registration or breeding of cryptorchid males because the traith is highly heritable, and meat from such animals is worth far less from the intact hormonal taint because the flavor is off.  For Willoughby's health, there is FAR less benefit from the testosterone than there is risk from the retained gonad, I would urge you to have him completely neutered as soon as possible.

@CamilleP  Thank you for the info.  Our surgeon highly recommended the removal of the retained testicle.  He is willing to leave the "normal" one.  This is what we have elected to do.  This way we are removing the dangers that go along with the retained one, and will receive the benefits from leaving the "normal" one. 

We have chosen this option because of the health benefits.  From what I have found through reading on this, once the testosterone is cut off from castration, the adrenals go into overdrive.  This can result in autoimmune diseases such as hypothyroidism or Cushings.  I want to avoid this if at all possible. 

I always enjoy your posts on the Pet Forum.  TA

Esteemed Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

IMO the idea that neutering causes medical problems is a bunch of baloney. Domestic cats and dogs are always better off, and healthier, when spayed or neutered.

And OP, get the surgery done on your dog if you want to save his life.

@Love my grandkids  We are planning to have the surgery.  As far as neutering causing medical problems being a bunch of baloney, I respect your opinion.  How much time did you spend researching this? Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

I was told when i had spirit neutered the surgery was a little more difficult ,than regular neutering, i think neutering is best.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.