Esteemed Contributor

ANYONE HAVE A PET OR KNOW OF A PET THAT HAS HAD A FECAL TRANSPLANT?

I would be very interested to hear about the outcome and what was the problem that brought you to the decision to do this?

Anyone?

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: ANYONE HAVE A PET OR KNOW OF A PET THAT HAS HAD A FECAL TRANSPLANT?

[ Edited ]

Never heard of that in dogs. Have heard of that as treatment in a person with C-Diff.

Honored Contributor

No,never have ,why are you thinking of doing this?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]
YES!

I had a little Yorkie that was diagnosed with Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD).  She was treated with antibiotics & steroids and from that developed Cushing's Syndrome.  She had constant diarrhea, was unable to absorb protein and a host of other issues.  I worked with a regular vet and a holistic vet and we tried everything to help this poor little soul.  The holistic vet asked it I would be open to trying a fecal transplant.  I had heard of it in humans, but never in pets.  

I said YES...anything that might help I was willing to try for her.  There are two approaches in pets.  Feces from a healthy pet that has been fed a quality diet and no medicine could be transplanted through the anus or ingested (hidden in food).  Since it is an unfortunate fact that dogs eat poop all the time, I decided to give it orally.  I received frozen poop from the designated dog and put a small amount sealed in a little meatball of Braunschwiger.  She accepted it and I was so hopeful.  Unfortunately, it did not help her.
We tried it several times, as this was our last hope and I needed to know I had done everything I could for her.  

At the same time, the holistic vet had several other pet patients trying fecal transplant.  Half did it orally and half did it rectally.  Sadly, it did not work for any of the dogs.  I would not let those results stop you from trying that approach.  It has been successful in humans.  There was peace of mind knowing I had tried everything possible for my pet.  I wish you and your pet well!
Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Esteemed Contributor

We are considering looking at this option.  Willie was 3 in June.  He was diagnosed with IBD at 9 months old.  I have been working with two holistic vets since his diagnosis.  The diagnosis was after a lot of testing done at an animal hospital.  The treatment offered was steroids, immunosuppresants, and canned prescription food.  I said thank you, but no thank you.  I switched him to raw and went the natural route.  He does not tolerate heartworm meds.  He had ONE parvo/distemper vaccine at 4 months old.  He had ONE rabies at 2 years old.  He had a reaction to that and has been given an exemption for that.  I was told he should never be vaccinated again.  We titered him this spring and he still has immunity for both the rabies and parvo/distemper.

He has loose stool off and on, sometimes with blood.  Other than that, you wouldn't know he has anything going on.  He has a good appetite and good energy level.  We are using homeopathic remedies.  One of the vets has suggested the transplant.  I am going to ask more questions before considering this option.

@Havarti  I thank you so much for your testimonial about this.  Did your Yorkie have to taking any type anti rejection drugs with this transplant?  Years ago I read an article about this when they were just beginning to try this on animals.  They said they had to take one.  The one they listed was the same drug my DH took when he had a bone marrow transplant.  It is a bit discouraging to read that it wasn't helpful for the other pets, along with yours.  Was this procedure expensive?  I am just curious.  This has not been an inexpensive journey, but we do what we have to for our beloved pets.

I got the feeling that you had to put your Yorkie down.  Was that the case?  I am so sorry for your loss if that was so. Our Willie isn't anywhere near that severe.  He just has these off and on episodes.  July was good.  August has been loose everyday.  

Again, thank you for answering my post.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs 

Sadly, yes, on December 21st, my little Yorkie reached the point where we both knew it was time and she became my Christmas angel.  Her situation worsened in faster time and more ways because of the Cushing's Syndrome that resulted from taking the antibiotics & steroids.  IBD is hard enough on a little dog's system, but add the horrible aspects of Cushing's on top and it was just too much for her little body to deal with.  I miss her terribly and so wish I could have helped her.  I believe you truly helped Willie by NOT giving him the strong drugs. 

It can be expensive.  I was lucky that my holistic vet did not charge me extra for it - she said it would be a learning process for all of us.  She acutally provided the poop from her own animals - knowing exactly what they had been fed & that no medicine had been given.  We knew the quality of the product since it came from her own environment.  She is very kind and knows I am retired on a fixed income.  I would mortgage the house to help my animals, but fortunately she does not take advantage of me in any way - she is very giving to both me and my animals and I so appreciate it.  The regualr vet thought we were both crazy and wanted no part of it.  So many regular vets just don't stretch beyond vet school text books.  I am so grateful that some vets get fed up with the standard approach and are open to research & try new things - often kinder & gentler things.  Hurray for the holsitc vets that evolved beyond the old school approaches!

I did not have to give my dog anti-rejection drugs.  I just kept giving her the supplements the holistic vet had her on (and that varied based on her symptoms).  She had her eating just one protein - one she had never eaten before.   I tend to feed raw, so we went with Primal frozen bars in the flavor of duck and she loved it.  Apparently single protein is easier for them to process with IBD, also a protein that is new to their system.  There is something that the owner of the rescue I am involved with recommended that has helped many of the animals she has dealt with in a similar situation - it is called Bio Case Plus.  I got it on Amazon and it really helped us for a while (until the Cushing's symptoms kicked in).  It is not cheap, but I felt it was worth it.  You want the "Plus" version because it contains methyl-B12 and that is a very good thing.  If you try it, I hope it helps Wille.

The reason I chose the oral approach to the fecal transplant was two-fold.  First, it was not invasive making it the easiest on her and if she accepted it that would be the perfect approach.  Also, the vet said the whole idea behind this process is to get good flora going again in the gut and if it passed through the whole digestive process (rather than just coming in the back door) it might offer additional benefits.  Sadly it did not work for us, but it helped me to know that I tried everything I could for her.  It gave me some peace of mind in the end.

It has made such a difference for so many (but not all) humans that  have had this procedure so I am hopeful for it being beneficial for pets, too.  

If I can help in any way, just let me know.  Respond to this message rather than starting a new one because I do not check the forum daily, but a notification (if you use @Havarti) will always be waiting until I check in again.  

You and Willie will be in my thoughts & prayers for both relief and a permanent solution. 
Esteemed Contributor

Again, @Havarti , thank you for your response, kind and informative.  I am so sorry you lost the battle with your sweet dog.  Yes, you can rest in the fact you did everything. 

The vet hospital told me to introduce Willie to a new protein.  He had been on raw turkey.  I switched to beef.  That was over two years ago.  They said limited ingredients would be best, but the food they recommended  (Rx food bought from them) had at least 50 ingredients, most I couldn't even pronounce.  He has an excellent appetite.  He is at a good weight.  

He had severe skin issues and with the food switch and holistic remedies, those are a thing of the past.  If we could just get the loose stool under control, I would be happy and I am sure Willie would be, too.  

I may come to you again with questions as we go through this journey.  I am going to look up the Bio Case Plus.  I am also going to look into CBD oil.  

Thank you for your prayers.  I know they are heard and answered.

Trusted Contributor

@Havarti My guy who is 11 is in the process of testing for Cushings.  In as much as I do know about the disease I'd be interested in hearing your experience. 

I'm very concerned about him.  He's had a great life with me but a tough road - was thrown from a car at 3 months and hit in oncoming traffic, had RO surgery  and has suffered multiple orthopedic issues because of it. 

Vet kept telling me he needed to loose weight.  Nothing I said penetrated and she wouldn't listen when I kept saying i thought it was endocrine related. 

UGH>>>

@tends2dogs..not tring to hijack the thread). Why would your guy need a transplant? 

Esteemed Contributor

@Jtdmum wrote:

@Havarti My guy who is 11 is in the process of testing for Cushings.  In as much as I do know about the disease I'd be interested in hearing your experience. 

I'm very concerned about him.  He's had a great life with me but a tough road - was thrown from a car at 3 months and hit in oncoming traffic, had RO surgery  and has suffered multiple orthopedic issues because of it. 

Vet kept telling me he needed to loose weight.  Nothing I said penetrated and she wouldn't listen when I kept saying i thought it was endocrine related. 

UGH>>>

@tends2dogs..not tring to hijack the thread). Why would your guy need a transplant? 

@Jtdmum   No problem  at all.  If someone can help another pet parent, all the better.  I am sorry to hear about your sweet dogs problems, but am glad he is with a good person.  I had a dog that couldn't lose weight and it turned out to be thyroid issues.  I hope you find an answer and that @Havarti can help you.

My dog has inflammatory bowel disease.  We are just looking at all the options out there to help him. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jtdmum 

What a horrible beginning your poor little fubaby had!  I am so glad he has you to love & care for him.

Cushing's is a very cruel disease.  There is no doubt in my mind that my dog's situation was escalated by the fact that she started with Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) and then was given large does of steroids & antibiotics (which seriously weakened her system further) causing all the symptoms of Cushing's but when it is caused by the meds it is called Cushing's Syndrome rather than Cushing's Disease.

She lost most of her fur, lost most of her muscle mass, which weakened her mobility.  She got to were she would walk to the neighbor's driveway and just stop - needing to be carried home.  I think it would take longer to get that that point in a dog that only has Cushing's Disease, but the toll it takes over time is heartbreaking.  That said, many people have years of quality and a slow decline.  Ours all happened in a year - from diagnosis to loss.  I would encourage you to seek out a good holistic vet for consult.  They often have a gentler approach to treating the body (less strong medicine) which can provide a better quality of life.  That is what I wanted for mine - the best life possible for whatever time we had together.  

I wish I could tell you Cushing's is curable or that I knew of a wonderful tip or secret that would make it easier or better.  Unfortunately, I can't do that but would be happy to help you in any way, any time, if you have questions.  Also, read up on it as it helps to know what to look for.  Sometimes things are easy to write off and then in hind sight you can see that it was worth noting (such as initial furloss/balding).  You can't stop it and you can't change it but you can have a better handle on the situation if you know what to expect.  But remember, no two dogs are alike.  

I think the most important thing I could say is take those extra moments when you might be too busy but your dog want's your love & attention.  Savor those moments - they may be the most special ones in your memories later.

If I can help in any way, just let me know.  Make sure you use @Havarti in the message so it creates a notification as I do not come to the forum daily and may miss a message addressed to me.  Notifications are always there waiting.

Wishing you a slow progression of Cushing's and wonderful memories to be made in the time ahead.  You will be in my thoughts.