Honored Contributor

Re: ANYONE EVER TRY AN ULTRASONIC COLLAR DEVICE TO REPEL FLEAS? HOW ABOUT ONE THAT USES CODED

@tends2dogs 

http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/shedding-light-heart-disease-grain-free-pet-food-conundrum 

A new study came out last year that tied grain free diets for dogs and cardiac issues.... these formulas also add peas and lentils which were also tied into the cardiac issues...

Some people debate it, but the cardiac dog doctor I took ZaZu to said  probably best to not do the grain free with this new info out... so I put my dogs back on a grain and meat based diet.  They do well on everything so it was not a problem giving them a rice or quinoa based dog food. 

Now, your sweet pup may have digestive issues that require  no grains... that is something to bring up with your vet.  Do you feed him dry food?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: ANYONE EVER TRY AN ULTRASONIC COLLAR DEVICE TO REPEL FLEAS? HOW ABOUT ONE THAT USES CODED

@SeaMaiden When he first had issues at 9 months, it began with bloody vomit.  We went through all the testing and he was diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease.  I was cooking for him at the time....chicken, quinoa, and vegetables.  I was told to put him on a limited ingredient diet and to change proteins.  I made the switch to raw and the protein he has been on ever since is beef.  It turned him around.  He didn't have another episode for nearly a year.  Now it is mainly if he  is introduced to something new, whether it is food, heartworm med, or vaccination.  He is exempt from future vaccinations.  He reacted with bloody vomit and stools. 

We have to tread lightly with him.  We are just coming off a 5 month episode of every type of stool possible. 

To look at him you would never think he is has these problems. He is always ready to go for a walk, but he lets us know how far he can go.  He loves cooler weather and it is getting hot here now.  He will like it better once we get back "up north". Smiley Happy

Oh, BTW, he showed food sensitivities to peas and lentils.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs   I think with your boy you need to do what you find works best.  He has a very sensitive digestive system and probably does not fit theparameterss of a diet fed to a dog that can consume anything( like mine).  Just like people, dogs also are unique individuals.

Sounds like your making his food is best for him and you know exactly what he is getting.  Just make sure that he is getting enough of the amino acid taurine in the diet you feed  him.  Low tauine levels in dogs is tied to cardio issues.  It is easy and safe to add to the diet.... and inexpensive to buy.  The Now brand sells it in both capsules or powder.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks again, @SeaMaiden .  It is an interesting article.  I made a note to run this all by the vet the next time we talk.

BTW I ordered the Flea tag and a couple other things Woman Wink.  I went through Mr.Rebates and the site offered a 10% off coupon.  Win, win!

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@SeaMaiden   That was the brand that I was looking at.  The other one, One Defense Flea Tag, worked with coded frequencies and the dog.  It was recommended by our holistic vet.  It takes 2 to 3 months for it to link up with your dog's "system". 

Neither of these type collar devices work if the dog is already infested, which Willie isn't.  I am looking ahead so we don't have a problem. 

Why can't there be an easy and safe solution??  LOL

@tends2dogs   So I have both my dogs now on the tag from  onlyNaturalPet  site ..they have been on this one for a couple years.  I do think SOMEHOW  it is repelling fleas as They have none.  I only use natural products.  They also sell natural flea collars and powders that I use when I feel necessary....the flea collars and the powder  have some sort of herbal extract I believe that is a potent safe flea killer

@SeaMaiden, please clarify something for me.  You said you use a tag that you think works because the dogs have no fleas then state that when necessary you use flea collars and powder. If the tag works why do you need the collars and powder?  Does it only work sometimes?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@SeaMaiden   That was the brand that I was looking at.  The other one, One Defense Flea Tag, worked with coded frequencies and the dog.  It was recommended by our holistic vet.  It takes 2 to 3 months for it to link up with your dog's "system". 

Neither of these type collar devices work if the dog is already infested, which Willie isn't.  I am looking ahead so we don't have a problem. 

Why can't there be an easy and safe solution??  LOL

@tends2dogs   So I have both my dogs now on the tag from  onlyNaturalPet  site ..they have been on this one for a couple years.  I do think SOMEHOW  it is repelling fleas as They have none.  I only use natural products.  They also sell natural flea collars and powders that I use when I feel necessary....the flea collars and the powder  have some sort of herbal extract I believe that is a potent safe flea killer

@SeaMaiden, please clarify something for me.  You said you use a tag that you think works because the dogs have no fleas then state that when necessary you use flea collars and powder. If the tag works why do you need the collars and powder?  Does it only work sometimes?

@Marp   It is actually a "system" of products that work together very well....I only have the collars and powders for the hot summer time when fleas in Washington state are more prevalent....and sometimes( not always) kick those in along with the tag....I go 9 months out of the year with just the tag it works I FEEL so well on its own

Esteemed Contributor

@Marp   If a pet is infested with fleas, it doesn't take care of that problem.  It is a repellar.  The instructions are quite clear that any type of infestation has to be taken care of first. 

As @SeaMaiden  said, it is part of a system when it is high flea season.  We also spray a natural herbal spray on Willie's legs before walks.  I also use Fleabusters on occasion as a "just in case". 

I want to have the upper hand LOL.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden  and @tends2dogs 

Thank you for such complete explanations.  Now I have a clear understanding.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.