Esteemed Contributor

A tick got there (Gross Picture)

My dog ocassionally will get a tick on her coat. She is on Simparica and I am

going to ask her vet on her next appt. this summer if I can change her medicine.

Not sure what will prevent all of them, if any medicine will,  but the vet said that

is what they recommend.

We live in a wooded area and luckily her fur is white so they are easy to spot.

But like I said when she does get a tick it is usually sitting on her fur and we

remove it immediately. Never thought about one getting into an animals mouth.

This picture is not my dog. I found it on an animal site that I follow. Poor dog, but

glad that someone saw it.

92135665_10216825522695766_3651271274514087936_n.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: A tick got there (Gross Picture)

Would never have thought a tick in mouth would happen.  Scary   My dog was chocolate color - and long hair = try and find a tick in that was impossible.  Although the vet did find one - so I wondered about more.  Never saw a bug of any kind in her bath water in 15 years.

Honored Contributor

Kingston takes Bravecto for fleas and ticks, it's a chewable that lasts for 3 months.

Kingston and his Dad are always traipsing thru the woods, camping, etc. and we've never found a flea or tick on him.

Ask your Vet about it.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@threecees 

I wanted to mention that the woods they're in definitely has a lot of ticks, we have to use a special tick spray on DH's clothes, because he was bringing ticks home.

But not one would be on Kingston, so it definitely works!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

@threecees 

Woman Surprised Wow, that's really something. Never would think to check the gumline. Thx for posting will be sharing that info with others.  

⚓️
Honored Contributor

@LoveMyBaby 

I sure will from now on too!

Honored Contributor

Oh poor dog. I would never think to check there for ticks.

We found out what ticks were when we got our first dog that picked up seed ticks at the Groomers?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Kingston takes Bravecto for fleas and ticks, it's a chewable that lasts for 3 months.

Kingston and his Dad are always traipsing thru the woods, camping, etc. and we've never found a flea or tick on him.

Ask your Vet about it.

I also live on heavily wooded property and use Bravecto for my dog. She's often in the woods for extended periods.  It's expensive but it's the best tick medication I've found, and I've used many over the years.

Ticks do get on her, but they die almost immediately and well before they can do any damage to her.  

I have yet to find any sure fire treatment that actually repels ticks and keeps them from getting on her at all.

ETA:  Yes, I found a tick in my dog's mouth, just about in that same area, many years ago.  They are extraordinarily hardy and gross little things.

Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@threecees 

I wanted to mention that the woods they're in definitely has a lot of ticks, we have to use a special tick spray on DH's clothes, because he was bringing ticks home.

But not one would be on Kingston, so it definitely works!

@KingstonsMom Expensive but totally totally one of the best things I've ever found for ticks!