Contributor

A question about the phantom meower?

Did I miss it or can't find it, but what happened to the phantom meower? Did gardenman ever capture the kitty that was in his crawlspace

Respected Contributor

Re: A question about the phantom meower?

The last update I saw...there was a picture of the cat eating the food @gardenman left in the crawlspace & I think he was going to use a live trap but I don't know if the cat was caught. 

Honored Contributor

I'm happy to report that the Phantom of the Crawlspace has used the trapdoor to escape the crawlspace! I saw him walking through my back garden last night and this morning he showed up for breakfast with the feral kittens I've been feeding for the past few weeks. Here's a photo of him taken moments ago waiting his turn at the food dishes staring at my camera. That's Tanner leaving the food dishes at the top left, named because he's tanner than the rest. Not Claire (Claire and Not Claire look alike, but Claire has a white streak on her back and is named after Claire Saffetz the Bon Appetit test kitchen cook with dark hair but white streaks running through it, is also there, just out of camera to the right. Grey Boy (he has white feet)  is eating alongside Not Claire. Whitey (named that because he's/she's whiter than the rest) and Claire are off-camera to the right.

20191018_070017 adjusted copy.jpg

So, the saga ends with the Phantom emerging and joining the rest of the feeding pack. Whew! It's nice to have him out from under the house. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman   I'm so happy to read this post this morning!  I'll bet he's really happy to be out of there!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I'm very happy to have him out of there. It took a while, but he's emerged and I no longer have to open the crawlspace every morning and night to put in fresh food and water. I'm glad I put the camera in the crawlspace so I could know who it was and then recognize him when he emerged. When I saw him slinking through the garden last night I opted to not put fresh food under the house for him and that seems to have helped motivate him to show up for breakfast this morning. I suspect he'll be a regular at the feeding station now for a bit.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

In the photo the cat seems to say "What are you looking at?" I'm glad that the situation is resolved. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I think he was annoyed at having to wait in line for food and not getting it delivered to him every morning. Now he's being treated like all of the other stray/feral cats in the neighborhood where before everything was being catered to him. He seemed a bit insulted by that. There's a bit of a stampede to the food first thing in the morning and he was a bit late to the show this morning. There was still plenty of food for him though. When you're used to breakfast in bed, then you're expected to go to the kitchen and wait your turn, well, it's a bit of an insult to a cat.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

My suspicion that the Phantom would show up for breakfast each morning has been correct. He's typically the sixth cat to arrive each morning then sits off to the side grumpily as the five kittens get their fill, then he slides in to fill up. If he sees me watching he just glares at me and seems to feel, "It was so much easier when you brought the food to me." I wouldn't say he's happier being out of the crawlspace, but I'm happier with him out of the crawlspace.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

LOL. I did notice he was giving you the "I am not pleased, human" look in your photo.
Honored Contributor

@lynne6was7 wrote:
LOL. I did notice he was giving you the "I am not pleased, human" look in your photo.

Yeah, he thought he had me well trained then I went and stopped taking fresh food and water to him twice a day. Now he's expected to associate with the rest of the riffraff. He's not happy about it, and it's all my fault. You just know that in his mind he's plotting revenge of some sort.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!