Honored Contributor

A quality of life appointment for my Holly girl

My 15 yr old Chinese Shar Pei mix health problems have been progressively getting worse.  She is having a bad day today and I cant bear to see her suffering.  So I made an appointment with her vet to check her quality of life Thursday.  Depending on what the Vet and I determined I may have to make the dreaded decision.  My heart is hurting really bad today.Cat Sad

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

Re: A quality of life appointment for my Holly girl

@Imaoldhippie  Out of the thousands of days of joy, love, faithfulness that our pets give us, the days ahead that you are living are the worst part of having a pet.  I don't envy you, but I have been you many times in making these life ending decisions.  We have to remember not to be selfish, but to remember that we are the one that is their caregiver.  They can do nothing on their own.  

I know you will make the decision that is right for Holly.  I said a prayer for you and for Holly.  Take care.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Contributor

We recently lost our 17 yr. old Shih-Tzu, who died in my arms.  I'd prayed that we wouldn't have to make the decision you might be forced to make. 

Prayers to you and your sweet Holly.  It is so very difficult to lose our best friends.  I'm so sorry that you have to experience this sad event.  Thinking of you....

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie - I think most of us have been in your position.  We had to make that decision for our Siamese girl at the end of last year and there's no easy way to get through it.  It's a question of doing the kindest thing for your beloved family member.  They always take a piece of our hearts with them, but we have the love and wonderful memories always.

Sendings you positive thoughts to let you know many of us understand.  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie Hugs to you!...My heart is with you and i am hoping you will get better news than you expect. 

Valued Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

My 15 yr old Chinese Shar Pei mix health problems have been progressively getting worse.  She is having a bad day today and I cant bear to see her suffering.  So I made an appointment with her vet to check her quality of life Thursday.  Depending on what the Vet and I determined I may have to make the dreaded decision.  My heart is hurting really bad today.Cat Sad

I feel your pain...been there before! Bless your heart..! Woman Sad

Frequent Contributor

I think the hardest part of pet ownership is that last 6 months. We are there with our 15 year old Australian Shepherd. We were fortunate to stumble on very low dose prednisone (prescribed for a totally unrelated issue) as a "magic pill" for her joint pain and mobility. "Magic pill" was the vet's description, lol! The vet is not sure she is responding so well, but at 15? Who cares why!

Wishing you peace with wherever the decision goes for your Holly. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

My heart goes out to you. We have a 17-year-old cat and we are starting to wonder about this myself. it's a heartbreaking decision (I had to make it last year for my beloved BooBoo) but sometimes you have to do what's best for your beloved companion, no matter how much it hurts your heart.

Sending thoughts and prayers for you both to get through this difficult time Woman Embarassed

ETA: blessings on everyone who have offered love and support to our "sister". 

Respected Contributor

i am so sorry @Imaoldhippie .   having gone through this many times myself, i can only say that you are such a good momma for pulling up the big girl pants and doing the hard stuff.  and saying it's hard is an understatement.  my heart breaks for you, and i pray for your continued strength. 

Respected Contributor

I'm so very sorry. I hope things go well at the vet. Maybe they can give her something to make her feel better 🤞 

I'm close to the same situation. I have a 13 year old chihuahua who is going downhill. He was really bad over the weekend but is doing much better today. It's so hard to let go.