Esteemed Contributor

Re: A perspective on people taking their dogs everywhere.

@Mz iMac wrote:

I have always assumed therapy dogs start their training as puppies.  And then only certain dogs, depending on their temperment.

How old is your dog?

Therapy dogs need to pass temperament tests.  A skidish dog will have trouble passing the test, they are very careful who gets certified.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I wanted to do this with my dog but in the area where I live you need to pass the AKC Cannine Good Citizenship test and get a recommendation from the AKC test giver to be approved.  My dog is so sweet and friendly and loves everyone but even though she passes the test every time she takes it she is so excitable at times that they won't recommend her for the training since she is considered unpredictable and even though she is perfect about 96% of the time there still is a tiny chance she would momentarily lapse for only a few seconds by getting really excited until she gets under control again they won't recommend her.  The trainer did recommend I  have a therapy training vest for her and have taken her places on the organizations recommendation but at this point I realize it just won't happen.

Valued Contributor

Service Dogs start training as puppies (guiding eyes for the blind). My Pet Therapy collie was a purebred from the local animal control at around 2 years old. 

And yes, they have to be unflappable. We were at the Cerebral Palsy home one night working with a client who was slightly afraid of dogs..she also had a mental impairment. I turned my head for one second....and she hit my dog over the head with the grooming brush she had been using.......and he did exactly what he was supposed to do....NOTHING. 

Also went for a walk w/a wheelchair bound client and counselor off the property. After the client was loaded on the van via the lift, I asked the counselor how we were supposed to get in...and the dog and I both climbed on the lift and got "lifted" into the van same as the wheelchair.  This was a new experience for my dog - and it didn't phase him in the least - no fear, no flinching...

Valued Contributor

Well, I will just have to wait and see how he does.  I did not just st wake up one day and rush into it.    In the meantime it,s a great experience for both of us.

i am surprised that your training did not tell you not to look away even for a second.  

Honored Contributor

@CinNC 

Your boy sounds lovely, I hope he is still with you.  My first Therapy dog has gone across the Bridge, he is my soulmate, and I miss him so much.

My Baby A.  was  for a good while the only Therapy dog allowed in a specific part of a huge hospital.  We had to ride both elevators & escalators. The first time he rode in an elevator, as it started up, he looked up at the ceiling, down at the floor, and spread his stance to brace himself, that was it.         

The floor is moving ? No problem, cool & calm.

Once we were here passing through a large empty auditorium where unbeknownst to us someone was working on the AV system.  Suddenly, a voice says through the AV system, ‘A sit!’  My sweet baby sat and gazed up at the ceiling from where the voice had come, as if to say, ‘Yes, who are you?’  Turns our he had met the AV tech. On a visit the week before.

You are so right, you never know what they might encounter.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Nick Nack, my daughter and family will be staying at a hotel. They’ll be in more than one room. I assume the hotel takes pets. If they wind up taking all dogs to my mother’s house during the day, they’d better separate them. My daughter is a tough cookie. If I say something to her about the dogs, she’ll simply ignore me. My grandson is more amenable to suggestion but at this point all options seem lousy.

Honored Contributor

I think people hang out with they dogs because they love them.  Their dogs are family or their best friends.  Society has changed, dogs are allowed and welcome almost everywhere now.  My neighbor was recently in the hospital for about a month and her son took the dog to visit her every few days.  

Honored Contributor

I've never been a dog lover (cats)...Until my daughter got her dog.  She lives in Denver, Colorado.  It's one of the most dog friendly places in the US.  

She recently started sending me videos of her dog running and playing in an area that is acres and acres of 'fenced in' land meant mainly for dogs (people are 'invited').  Ha!

It has ponds and some areas that are even deeper.  She is taking her paddle board today there.  She has taught her dog to ride on the paddle board while she paddles and fishes.  The dog has her own life jacket (among other things).

My point?  There are many places dogs can go (especially in Colorado (i.e. restaurants, etc).  They mostly have signs in front.  Even the owners have treats for the dogs.  Her dog isn't small, she's mid-size.

I know these vests can be ordered from many places by anyone.

However, I suggest the OP get a vest that the dog should wear that says it is a therapy dog.  I've seen them being worn by dogs.

The area where I live (Northern Va) isn't especially accommodating to dogs like they are in Colorado. 

My observation (totally from a cat lover and lover of ONE dog) I say it's a matter of people working together.

Those who need therapy dogs should be considerate of others and put a cover over the dog that signifies it is a therapy dog.

People would then understand better WHY the dog is there with you.

You see, most people are kind and we do understand there might be a need for a therapy dog.  You (and other users of therapy dogs) need to understand that those of use/some of us are not 'dog people' and/or we see and hear that the 'theraphy animal' has gotten totally out of control.  We hear and read about people bringing chickens, snakes, etc on planes, etc as therapy pets.  Yes!  It has happened.

So, let's work together on this.  A simple way to solve this is to get a LEGAL vest that signifies your dog is a therapy dog.  Then there wouldn't be any question WHY the dog is with you.

I would ask you though to try to think and plan ahead where you take your therapy dog.  I would not be so kind were I eating at a nice sit down restaurant and had a dog sitting next to me while I'm trying to eat.  If you feel you must do that, please try to get a table some distance from others.

You see my daughter (who worships her dog) doesn't have her dog with her 24/7.  

I hope you are able to go out and enjoy the wonderful weather this Spring and Summer.  If your dog helps you feel healthier and happy, please take him/her with you but also, please plan ahead.

Take care and be safe.Smiley HappyAnnabellethecat.

Honored Contributor

I would much rather see a well behaved dog out in public that a loud, screaming, bawling, bratty kid.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I may have an unpopular opinion.  Bash away if you want to, it makes no difference to me. 

I will begin by saying I am a dog lover and mine is the best there is flaws and all.  That said, just because I'm nuts about him doesn't mean I have the right to expect everyone one out there to feel the same way about him as I do.  He's a happy dog and wants to be friends with everyone but I refuse to bring him to parades, fairs, farmers markets, or other people's homes where any number of mishaps can occur.  

I don't know all the technicalities involved but there is a lot more training that goes into being a therapy or seeing eye dog than just your basic obedience.  It has to start early and owners/trainers need to be vigilant and consistant.  If we are being truthful I think we've all seen examples out there of someone calling their pooch an emotional support or therapy dog just because they want the dog with them, even though the dog doesn't have an ounce of that specialty training. 

We know someone who is blind and has a seeing eye dog (German Shepherd).  That dog is as good as gold.  When she is harnessed, she's there to do her job and everyone leaves her alone.  When the owner removes the harness, we are free to interact, and the dog knows the difference.  Contrast that to a situation I observed just the other night.  We were at an event and in comes a lady using a wheelchair plus she had her therapy dog with her.  The dog was wearing a harness with lots of different identifying patches, but he/she was so wound up and jumping around that I couldn't see how he/she was being theraputic assistance at all.  If anything, it was causing the owner more stress, as well as those in their immediate vicinity, because she couldn't control the dog from her seated position.  After awhile the dog settled down, but what was being accomplished there?  I don't get it.

@Warrior2022  Have you stopped to consider that your dog might not be cut out for the job?  Your desire is admirable but if you started training and then stopped due to "life" and your dog became skittish in the interim, you may have lost your window of opportunity for him to meet the requirements of a therapy dog. For your sake, I hope you keep him on a leash or you could be asking for trouble. Therapy dog or household pet, leash laws need to be followed and dog owners need to be able to control their pets.