Valued Contributor

A perspective on people taking their dogs everywhere.

I am posting this here to hopefully cut down on a heated thread.

I am working very hard to train my dog to be a therapy dog.  This takes time and money.  A therapy dog is used for hospital visits, nursing homes, childrens reading groups.  Yes, this will make me so happy, but more so for others.

Anyway, my dog is skittish.  Just jumps when the wind blows.  Otherswise he is perfect for the job.  The only places I take him in public is to the pet store.  He honestly loves it there.  Taking him out on a leash at home is awful,  He turns into a 100 lb lead weight.  

Today my trainer told me that he needs to be out in public more.  She suggested some places to take him.  So today we will be going to the dollar store.  Funny cuz, I never go to the dollar store.

Just wanted to share why some people may take their dogs everywhere.

Regular Contributor

Re: A perspective on people taking their dogs everywhere.

As a dog lover I understand. Dogs need to be socialized. Good for you. EnjoySmiley Happy

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

Does your dog have a vest that says he's a therapy dog in training? I've seen this occasionally.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

My immediate family is meeting in NJ next weekend for my mother’s 97th birthday, which falls on Mothers’ Day this year. One of my daughters decided to bring both her dogs up from Florida. On her way to the destination, she stopped at my grandson’s apartment in Baltimore, where one of her dogs took a big bite out of my gandson’s dog. His dog will be OK after a visit to the vet but I wish my daughter had left her dogs with someone at home, e,g., dog sitter, vet, or kennel. Now she’ll be traveling to NJ with her two dogs and my grandson will be making the same trip with his injured dog, I am worried that my mother, who uses a walker, can be tripped up by one of the dogs.

My mother was not assertive enough when my daughter said she’d be bringing up all the dogs. I wasn’t told about it until after they left Florida. My dog will be at our local kennel. I can only hope that the dogs can be separated and that my mother will be safe. My daughter is stubborn. Even if I had known about her plans and tried to dissuade her from driving up north with the dogs, she would never have followed my advice. My fingers are crossed.

Honored Contributor

I have always assumed therapy dogs start their training as puppies.  And then only certain dogs, depending on their temperment.

How old is your dog?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

My immediate family is meeting in NJ next weekend for my mother’s 97th birthday, which falls on Mothers’ Day this year. One of my daughters decided to bring both her dogs up from Florida. On her way to the destination, she stopped at my grandson’s apartment in Baltimore, where one of her dogs took a big bite out of my gandson’s dog. His dog will be OK after a visit to the vet but I wish my daughter had left her dogs with someone at home, e,g., dog sitter, vet, or kennel. Now she’ll be traveling to NJ with her two dogs and my grandson will be making the same trip with his injured dog, I am worried that my mother, who uses a walker, can be tripped up by one of the dogs.

My mother was not assertive enough when my daughter said she’d be bringing up all the dogs. I wasn’t told about it until after they left Florida. My dog will be at our local kennel. I can only hope that the dogs can be separated and that my mother will be safe. My daughter is stubborn. Even if I had known about her plans and tried to dissuade her from driving up north with the dogs, she would never have followed my advice. My fingers are crossed.

Oh how horrible!  I would say that is a case where the dogs should be left at home.  I hope the dog heals and I am afraid for your mother as well.  Happy Birthday to her!

Valued Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Does your dog have a vest that says he's a therapy dog in training? I've seen this occasionally.

I could certainly get one, but it's not required.

Valued Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I have always assumed therapy dogs start their training as puppies.  And then only certain dogs, depending on their temperment.

How old is your dog?

You may be thinking of a service dog, they do start very young.  My dog just turned for and I have had him since a puppy.  He began training as a puppy, then life got in the way and we are back at it.  

The requirement at the organization I joined is that dogs must be one year before they can take the evaluation,

Honored Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

@Vivian   Am I reading this correctly?  Will your daughter's dogs and your grandson's dog be staying in the same place?  Will they have to be together at all during the visit?  If I were your grandson, I would not let his dog be with your daughter's dogs again.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau