Honored Contributor

We're just home from the Vet's, and the news is bleak.

Our Poly is beyond treatment, and we will be losing her, no time known for sure of course, but the vet thought possibly a few days.

I know most of you who post here have suffered similar losses, so I wondered if you'd ask those lovely creatures to stroll or trot or sashay or romp past the Rainbow Bridge to let her know when she gets there that Mommy and Daddy love her dearly, and are SO grateful for the 15 years she gave us, and will miss her in every way?

She's home with us, not suffering, in fact her typical perky self, which almost make it harder, but she deserves the very best, so as long as she's here, that's what she'll be having.

Thanks for your help.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh, Violann, I'm very sorry. Consider it done.  I have asked our family's "Kitty and Puppy Brigade" of many years to greet her, right out front. Tell her even the big collie is a gentle giant--there are no worries, just sniffs and nose rubs and greetings galore for her.

Frequent Contributor

I'm so sorry.  This is the hardest part of loving our pets, their lives are so short.  My Dad always said that he would rather cross the rainbow bridge than go to heaven, as spending eternity with the pets he loved would be heaven to him.  I believe that's exactly what he did too.  I always talk to my Dad's spirit when one of my sweet babies is crossing over, and I tell them to look for him and that he always has treats in his pocket.

I will tell Dad and all my beloved babies to be on the lookout for your Poly and welcome her and reassure her that you still love her.

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry @violann!

I know she will be greeted by all of ours on here over the Rainbow Bridge and one thing I do know-they carry our love with us over the Rainbow Bridge and send it back down to us always!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Mine who have passed over on the bridge, will no doubt be there to meet and greet your little one.  I picture them all romping through the grass together, in the best of health like they did in their earlier years.  Mine were all terriffic welcomers, yours will be in good paws. Heart

Super Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear that your sweet Poly is terminal.   I experienced a similar situation with our family dog 5 years ago and  my best advice is to remember that she depends on you to use your "head" when you are longing to "follow your heart".  You will know when it is time unless she slips away on her own.  Dogs often rally towards the end stages and it is confusing to us humans.  Makes it harder to make tough decisions.  I wish you luck and hope you all find comfort in knowing what a great life she had and that in the end you did the best you could.  Can't ask for much more.  All the best!

Super Contributor

@violann @I am very sorry. All of my best friends will be there to help Poly when the time comes.  Sending a hug ur way💙

Respected Contributor

Re: A favor, please.

[ Edited ]

@violann Our Gilda didn't look sick when she was terminal with cancer.  Even the vet said "If I hadn't seen her scans or given her treatments I would look at her and think nothing is wrong."  People would tell me what a beautiful dog she was when we were going in to have fluid drained from her lungs.....and I just smiled and thanked them while crying inside.  She never looked sick on the outside up to the time she left us and I struggled with that.   But your Poly will let you know when she is ready to go just listen to her.....My thoughts are with you.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Trusted Contributor

@violann  My heart is breaking for you.  I have sent a prayer to all my beloved furried family to get to the gate and be ready to help a new soul.  I'm sure when it's time your Poly will be met with a whole lot of new friends to help her find her way and show her how to still watch over you and at night light up her soul so you can see it sparkle in the night sky.   Know that God will take care of her and she is in the shelter of his loving arms.  And although you will both miss each other, take comfort in fact that you can always find her in your heart, and in time your souls will be once again together.  

Respected Contributor

I am so sorry for what you are going through.  Love her all you can in the time she has left.  Five weeks ago I lost my sweet dog, Brandy.  She was almost 15.  I talk to her (and cry) every night because I miss her so much.  But I know she is no longer suffering and at peace.  Sending you hugs.  Heart