Respected Contributor

Re: A Short Life, But Loved Nonetheless

I am so sorry for your son at the loss of his little kitten.  As others have said They were lucky to have each other for even that short time.  Please remind him that he did everything right.  Kitten had love and comfort he would not have known if not for your son.  Kitten was asleep and felt no pain as he left this world.  Gone to soon but remembered always with love.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My condolences also to your son, and you, on the loss of his little kitten.  And to reiterate what so many others have already written, that your son gave the cat a wonderful life, however long or short it was destined to be.  The little guy didn't live out his days in a cage only to be euthanized anyway.

So many of us come to this forum with sad tales of our pets that we have lived with and loved for years and years, now on their last legs or gone already.  I really don't know what's worse--losing a life-long companion, or losing a potential life-long companion, and not having all those memories to savor.  Heart

Honored Contributor

Thank you everyone, for your kind and thoughtful comments.  I also hope my son will find a way to try again.  For now, he told the vet's office to cremate the remains and he'd pick up the ashes later.  That kind of surprised me because this isn't typically what our family does, hold on to ashes.  That's his choice though.  This isn't the first time he's lost a furry friend.  When DH and I married, we adopted our first cat.  Our son came along after that so they literally grew up together.  Eventually the day came for DH and I to make that awful decision, but the cat was quite old, sick, and suffering.  It was so hard, but we knew it was for the best, yet our son was grief stricken.  We still had some other cats and he was particularly attached to one of them.  While still living at home, this particular cat developed sudden onset of feline diabetes and went blind in a matter of hours.  That time it was our son who had to make the hard decision.  So yesterday was his third loss of a furry friend, not to mention some other things in life he's had to endure.  Even now, DH and I have one cat left and she's not in the greatest shape - extremely thin, very old, and deaf.  She's hanging in there, but I know we're going to have to make a decision about her one of these days.  I don't dare do it now.  I know my son be OK in time.  I'm just like every other mom out there who hurts when her kids hurt.

Thank you again for letting me unburden myself and for your support.   

Esteemed Contributor

Like your son, our family had a cat with heart disease, which is tough, very tough.

Yet shining through your words not only is the profound love of a mother for her son, but her son's bounding love for his special cat -- and all that he did to care for him.  I say this to my friends who suffer such a loss and include it for your son, too:  the hearts that love the deepest hurt the most when the object of that love begins another journey, the one beyond that which they share with us on this planet.

No kitten was or is loved more. And there is no doubt that he knew your son cherished him.  Love isn't measured by how long we live but how deeply we connect, and that kitty knew more love in his short life than most will ever experience because of your son's kindness and devotion. Your son will carry that love their bond created within him, always.

Our family's prayers are with yours, hoping they provide some comfort and solace in the weeks ahead.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I'm so sad for my son.  He decided to adopt a kitten from a local shelter near his home.  He did everything he thought he needed to do.  The first one he was interested in was adopted before he could make up his mind, but there was a second one that caught his attention.  My son visited the shelter a few times to make sure and finally took the little guy home a couple of months ago.  He faithfully kept his part of the adoption agreement and had the kitten to the vet for the required check ups.  The last check up was a couple of weeks ago.  At that time, they heard a heart murmur.  This morning was supposed to be the neutering operation.  I received a text saying they couldn't hear the heart murmur anymore.  About an hour later, my son called.  The little guy's heart stopped during the operation and they were unable to bring him back.  He was only 4-5 mos. old, but dearly loved for his short, little life.  Woman Sad

This is so sad - I too adopted a male Kitten from the Shelter on July 9th.  My Kittens name is/was Teddy.  Such a sweet, brave, friendly loving kitten.  Everyone was in love.  I took Teddy in for his 1st visit with the Vet who diagnoised Teddy with a parasite.  Teddy took his med's for 7 days.  His stoll was cleared of the parasite.  His next visit he was to get his 2nd of 4 vaccinations.  The vet took one look at my baby boy and told me he was a genetic mess.  During the 3 weeks I had Teddy the cough I complained about to the Vet became more prominate, he started coming down with rash spots and on his final visit after x-rays. blood work and the Vet extracting fluid from his belly he was diagnoised with Feline Infectious Peritontis or FIP.  The Vet advised me Teddy would be with him more than at home.  After much research and tears Teddy went to the Rainbow Bridge. 

I cannot tell you how much pain we are all experiencing.

Honored Contributor

@Pie1993 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I'm so sad for my son.  He decided to adopt a kitten from a local shelter near his home.  He did everything he thought he needed to do.  The first one he was interested in was adopted before he could make up his mind, but there was a second one that caught his attention.  My son visited the shelter a few times to make sure and finally took the little guy home a couple of months ago.  He faithfully kept his part of the adoption agreement and had the kitten to the vet for the required check ups.  The last check up was a couple of weeks ago.  At that time, they heard a heart murmur.  This morning was supposed to be the neutering operation.  I received a text saying they couldn't hear the heart murmur anymore.  About an hour later, my son called.  The little guy's heart stopped during the operation and they were unable to bring him back.  He was only 4-5 mos. old, but dearly loved for his short, little life.  Woman Sad

This is so sad - I too adopted a male Kitten from the Shelter on July 9th.  My Kittens name is/was Teddy.  Such a sweet, brave, friendly loving kitten.  Everyone was in love.  I took Teddy in for his 1st visit with the Vet who diagnoised Teddy with a parasite.  Teddy took his med's for 7 days.  His stoll was cleared of the parasite.  His next visit he was to get his 2nd of 4 vaccinations.  The vet took one look at my baby boy and told me he was a genetic mess.  During the 3 weeks I had Teddy the cough I complained about to the Vet became more prominate, he started coming down with rash spots and on his final visit after x-rays. blood work and the Vet extracting fluid from his belly he was diagnoised with Feline Infectious Peritontis or FIP.  The Vet advised me Teddy would be with him more than at home.  After much research and tears Teddy went to the Rainbow Bridge. 

I cannot tell you how much pain we are all experiencing.

Oh, @sktchy, you know then firsthand.  I'm very sorry for your loss and heartache.  I can only offer what others have offered, and it really is true, your Teddy knew love his whole life because of you.  It's a shame these kittens aren't more thoroughly tested before they leave the shelters, but I guess budgets won't allow that.

Trusted Contributor

Sadly - 90 percent of kittens/Cats have the virus in their systems.  It was an anomaly the virus was actually triggered inTeddy.  

After I adopted Teddy a neighbor promptly ran to the same Shelter and adopted her growing healthy kitten. A ex-neighbor who lives one mile away also adopted a kitten from the same Shelter.  

Neither of these Kittens have displayed any questionable symptoms. 

Teddy was such a baby.  I will try to figure out how to get his pic's from the phone to this site - in between tears.  

I was advised NOT to adopt any Kittens/Cats for 3 months - just to be sure any virus has cleared our home.

Frequent Contributor

You brought tears to my eyes, not only for your sons loss but also tears of joy for the little kittie that was fortunate enough to know what love was before his journey to Rainbow Bridge. Pie1993 sorry for your loss too, it's never easy to lose our furry ones no matter how short or long they're in our lives.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh, how sad .... poor little sweetheart .....  RIP   Heart

Honored Contributor