Esteemed Contributor

A Petunia Adventure, Gave Me A Heart Attack.

I didn't see Petunia all afternoon. She sometimes takes long afternoon naps, but when I shook the treat bag and she didn't appear I went looking. Not in, on, or under anything.

I went in DD's room and her one window was open about 4 or 5 inches. The bottom corner of the screen was pushed open. It's a 25 foot drop to the driveway. I have no idea when she fell out and how long she was outside.

I called DD who was on her way home and I went outside, no Petunia.

Whe DD came home she went around the back of the house and there she was.  She got spooked by the outside cats and ran under the porch. DD got the laser pointer and when P came toward it she grabbed her.

Other than being in need of a bath she's fine. We, on the other hand, need a stiff drink or a Xanax. It's a good thing I already take BP meds.

Honored Contributor

Re: A Petunia Adventure, Gave Me A Heart Attack.

Oh no!  Poor Petunia!  I know you will, but I would watch her carefully for a while.  She might have injuries that aren't apparent now.  That's a long fall.  I'll bet she was scared to death.  I guess your daughter won't be opening her window anymore!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2    I told you in an early Petunia post how my son fixed his window screen so his cat couldn't get out.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack  The windows were open all summer but there were box fans on the wndowsills and there was no room for P. She sits on the living room sills when the window is up no problem.

Windows are all closed and my heart is back in my chest.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

I am glad P. Is back, and hope she has no repercussions.

She is something.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Lucky Petunia wasn't afraid of everything and everyone outside! Glad you guys got her. 

One of my cats (who was a feral kitten and brought in at about 4 weeks of age) got out when he was about 7-8. He was afraid of everything, including me. I sat outside and called him; he wouldn't even come close to me. But, luckily, he didn't know how to jump the fence. I caught him between the garbage cans and took him inside. Never, ever let him get near an open door again. 

Regular Contributor

I have 2 indoor-only cats and I NEVER open my windows more than 1"....and even then I watch them closely. I hope she didn't have any internal injuries.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sushismom   Oh, she is afraid of everything.  Of a truck goes by she will head for a closet to hide in.

Luckily she stayed right around the house. My fear was our neighbor's umpteen dogs that come in our yard.

Respected Contributor

I never open my windows more than an inch. My youngest cat, though, did take a header off the loft a few months ago. I called the vet as soon as they opened and got an appointment for an hour later to have him checked out. Thankfully, he was okay. I still have to watch him like a hawk, as he still wants to jump up on that railing. 

Respected Contributor

Glad Miss P is home.

Broken jaws are often the result when cats have falls from distances, so I would watch for any indication of a problem there.

But knowing the cat, at least by the stories about her, she bounced up and is right as rain.

I hate to say it, but from long experience, it's never safe to rely on what a cat's "never" or "always" done. They get in these novelty-seeking moods and shake things up. So you can't trust that just because she hasn't tried to go out other windows, she won't now, especially since she knows she can.

I hope @Kachina624 reposts her description of how to cat-proof screens. I'd appreciate the info, too. Or at least the name of the thread it's on. TIA.