Esteemed Contributor

My Eddy is a snuggler.  This evening after his supper, he climbed up to kiss and snuggle.  However, this time was unusual.  After he left to go play I noticed a blue object on the floor.  Picking it up, I noticed it was half of his license tag!  The metal tag had broken - on its own!  I was wearing a sweatshirt and joggers - soft clothing, no buttons, zippers, etc.

Then I thought what could have happened if it had broken off while he was eating!  The metal edge is sharp.  And, had it fallen into his dinner bowl, Eddy easily could have ingested it!!!!!

I promptly removed his collar.  I have to get a new license and will bring both pieces to the town hall.  I just wanted to mention this 'cause I feel this is hazardous.  Just think what could happen if a furbaby ingested a jagged, metal object!

I don't know what I'm gonna do.  Perhaps I will not put his license on him anymore. But, I just wanted to mention this so you'd be aware a dog tag can be dangerous:  something I have never considered before.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme.   Could Eddy get his tag in his mouth as it hung from his collar?  I've been dogs that could chew on the tag.  I've also had a small dog that got a toenail caught in the figure 8 shaped loop the tags hang on.  If I hadn't been there, he would have ripped it out.  Please don't leave Eddy without some type of ID.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

No, @Kachina624, Eddy can't reach his tag.  This thing has not marks on it either.  Appears it just failed.  It's only thin metal, thinner than a key, but very jagged.  And, he stands in front of me, then kisses me and puts his face into me for pats, kisses and hugs. When he's had enough he sits on my foot and I massage him.  So, we did nothing out of the ordinary.  Maybe the town got a deal!  But, thanks.

Wow!  How could your dogs reach their tag?  That's amazing!  Good thing you got to the little one whose toenail had gotten caught!  Would've thunk a tag could be dangerous?

Haven't decided yet what to do - maybe taping the new tag so if it fails it cannot fall into food?  Such a little thing can be so perplexing!

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme@Kachina624,My DIL got dog collars with the dog's name and the telephone number.  They keep the license at home.

I'm holding my grandpups Christmas night but you can see the little girl's collar.

Image may contain: dog and indoor

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

@eddyandme@Kachina624,My DIL got dog collars with the dog's name and the telephone number.  They keep the license at home.

I'm holding my grandpups Christmas night but you can see the little girl's collar.

Thank you, @ECBG.  I never thought of that.  Think I'll call Chewy and order one - great idea!  And very cute furbabies!

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

Thank you, @ECBG.  I never thought of that.  Think I'll call Chewy and order one - great idea!  And very cute furbabies!

@eddyandme,Very welcome.  That tan and fawn little girl wants to be constantly held!  She was derermined to ge to me through the black and white!  My kinda pup!!!!!Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG, my Eddy is the same!  He was sickly and into a "shell" when I got him. And, didn't know what to make of it when I first started cuddling him.  But, promptly adapted!  Now it's belly rubs, hugs, and kisses on demand, along with lots of cuddles!

Guess we "spoiled" them, huh!Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Re: A New Concern?

[ Edited ]

wrote:

@ECBG, my Eddy is the same!  He was sickly and into a "shell" when I got him. And, didn't know what to make of it when I first started cuddling him.  But, promptly adapted!  Now it's belly rubs, hugs, and kisses on demand, along with lots of cuddles!

Guess we "spoiled" them, huh!Woman LOL

@eddyandme, No.  You love and cuddle some more.  It's not spoiling.  It's loving and you go right ahead.

Last October we lost our big 85 lb boy, Levi (he looked like he was wearing low riders), that sat on/next to me every night.  I'd get in his bed and hold him and tell him good night.  When he had cancer surgery last spring he moved a lpexiglass was held in place by an iron bar against the door to his hospital cage and sat it at the back of the cage wall-twice!  The hospital surgeon said he'd never seen anything like it.  We got to keep him several months longer, bless him for the richness and gifts he added to our lives.

Image may contain: dog

Honored Contributor

wrote:

No, @Kachina624, Eddy can't reach his tag.  This thing has not marks on it either.  Appears it just failed.  It's only thin metal, thinner than a key, but very jagged.  And, he stands in front of me, then kisses me and puts his face into me for pats, kisses and hugs. When he's had enough he sits on my foot and I massage him.  So, we did nothing out of the ordinary.  Maybe the town got a deal!  But, thanks.

Wow!  How could your dogs reach their tag?  That's amazing!  Good thing you got to the little one whose toenail had gotten caught!  Would've thunk a tag could be dangerous?

Haven't decided yet what to do - maybe taping the new tag so if it fails it cannot fall into food?  Such a little thing can be so perplexing!

@eddyandme   He was scratching his neck with his back paw and the nail got caught in the loop.  Now I go to the hardware store and buy those round key rings that ruin your finger nails.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Thanks for mentioning that. We can't be too careful.  I hang my little girls tags on a hook in the kitchen (like you might keys), and if she's going for a walk I may hook them on my set of house keys that I take with us.  

I did have a little boy dog that hated it on his collar and that's when I began to remove those.  He wanted to chew it even though he couldn't, it bothered him.