Honored Contributor

Re: A FRIEND FOR MOLLY OR NOT?

@Drythe wrote:

@Shanus 

We have always had a blended family, with new members entering frequently.

This works best for us:

Alternating genders seems simplest - doesn’t seem to be as much jealousy as with same gender.

But, all of our Labs are male, so in this case the newcomer is a young 8 - 10 week pup.

I hope Molly does get a new buddy!  The older dog also passes on the rules of the house to the pup, how cool 😎 

@Drythe   Definitely. Sadie let 10 week old Molly know who was the boss within a week. Lol

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I think it depends on your dog.  Some dogs are a young 8 and some are an old 8.  We've always had Boxers and the average life span of a Boxer is only 8-10 so 8 is old for them.  I wouldn't bring a puppy into that situation because I think it would be too much.  I would be worried about the 8yo trying to keep up with a puppy.

Unless you already know, I would look into how well 2 female beagles typically get along.  Some breeds don't typically do well with 2 of the same sex together.  Of course there are always exceptions but I'd hate to find that out after you already brought in another family member.  Again in the case of Boxers, normally 2 males have an issue being together and sometimes the problems don't start until they've been together for 2-3 years.  I had 2 males though that were the best of friends.  You just never know. 

I think puppies are adorable for someone else but for me personally, I don't want a puppy.  We rescue so we no longer generally rescue puppies.  I don't think I have the patience for house breaking anymore.  LOL

And remember 2 dogs means double the vet bills.        

@Lipstickdiva   Molly is a quite young 8 yrs. old...still jumpimg on and off our rather high bed. Beagles usually live to 12-14. Molly and Sadie got along great together after seniority was established. We purchase pet insurance, so not too concerned about the vet bills. Boarding, on the other hand, can get expensive.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

Why not foster @Shanus ?

@lolakimono   I admire those people who adopt from shelters. My daughter's fostered and then adopted 4 beagles (yes, we're a beagle family). They've all had behavioral and serious health issues...very time consuming...diabetes, one with back issues/arthritis, etc. We've gotten ours from the same breeder and no issues until the dogs were well into  their golden years.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

We adopted an 8 year old Puggle almost two years ago. He lost his first Mom.  He is a happy, frisky, easygoing guy, with an opinion of his own!  Walked in and is right at home. He keeps us laughing with is antics.  He and my then 5 year old Lab are buddies.

I wish I knew which of his behaviors are Beagle and which are Pug.  It goes without saying, he has completely charmed us

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Shanus 

We adopted an 8 year old Puggle almost two years ago. He lost his first Mom.  He is a happy, frisky, easygoing guy, with an opinion of his own!  Walked in and is right at home. He keeps us laughing with is antics.  He and my then 5 year old Lab are buddies.

I wish I knew which of his behaviors are Beagle and which are Pug.  It goes without saying, he has completely charmed us

@Drythe   I bet the "antics" are beagle! 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus    Any thoughts on what you're going to do? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Shanus    Any thoughts on what you're going to do? 

@Kachina624   No, not yet. We just started to discuss it last week and haven't mentioned it to Molly yet. I'll let her weigh in on it. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus    I just think having two dogs, watching their interaction and play is so much more fun than having just one dog. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Shanus    I just think having two dogs, watching their interaction and play is so much more fun than having just one dog. 

@Kachina624   It definitely is....Our thoughts are that Molly and probably many dogs have gotten used to having us around a lot during these Covid months (uh, a year). When I get back into more activites, I worry about her having separation anxiety. Another pup would keep her company and be fun for me, too. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus 

How is Molly when she's around other young pups? Sasha our 8 yr. old Yorkie doesn't seem to be interested in the rambunctious behavior of pups. She likes calm dogs that are just like her. Sometimes a neighbors dog (who she loves)  same age, comes into our house and she seems upset, and retreats when he runs around, invading her space. For this reason; we would never have another pup here. I think she deserves all the attention she has been receiving, since we brought her into our family. She is really loved by us and I wouldn't want her to feel slighted or have to make adjustments for an additional pup. This is for my baby....You know YOUR baby and you will make the right decision for her and your family! 💕