Honored Contributor

Re: A FRIEND FOR MOLLY OR NOT?

I always tried to have two dogs around 7-8 years apart in age.  Main reason...I did it for myself.  It's just too traumatic to lose a dog, then have none around until I found another one.  I didn't need to hurry to find the right one since I had a dog at home.  

Only one time did my older female dog reject the pup even though she was the same breed. 

She'd growl and show her teeth if he just looked at her.  She stopped growling after about a year and sort of came around; although, she never warmed up to him.  

Of course, puppies require a lot of our time at first, so I gave her extra attention letting her know she was still loved as much as before.

I took the older dog I have now along with me when I was looking for another dog.  I chose a pup based on her reaction.  Fortunately, she approved of the one I wanted.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus 

Have you ever watched "Pit bulls and Parolees" on Animal Planet ?

When a potential adopter states that they would like to get a friend for their current dog, they do compatibility testing between the two dogs before they are officially adopted.

First, they have the two dogs meet at the facility (Villalobos), and both are on leashes.

The dogs meet at a distance, before they are allowed to have contact with each other.

Then if that goes well, then they are allowed to interact with each other.

Sadie may ignore the young dog, or she may raise her hackles.

The young dog may not like Sadie.

If that meet and greet goes well, then they bring the new dog to the adopter's home, and again, have both dogs meet each other, in the front of the house, and take them on a short walk, to see how they will react to each other, now that the new dog is on Sadie's turf.

She might not like this upstart imposing on her territory.

She may growl, snap, lunge, or raise her hackles.

Or she may totally ignore the dog.

And vice versa. The new dog may do any/all of those things to Sadie.

Then if that goes well, then they take the two dogs in to the back yard, still on leashes, to further interact with each other.

Not all dogs are compatible with each other, and you can't, and more importantly, shouldn't try and force two dogs on to each other, when they don't get along.

That is not fair to either animal, and to do that, is extremely selfish, in my opinion, just because you think that Sadie "needs" a friend.

I would strongly advise against getting a pup, which may be too much for Sadie, and instead get a dog that is  at least one year old. 

They are already trained in basic commands, and still have energy.

Plus, older dogs have a harder time of finding a home, because everybody wants the cute, playful puppy.

Are you willing to do all of that, to make sure that the two dogs would get along with each other?

If not, then I strongly advise you not to get a second dog.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

What about a new wife in case the old one poops out? 

Woman SurprisedWoman Tongue

Honored Contributor

My personal opinion from experience, absolutely not!

An 8 y.o. dog is set in their ways and used to being the center of the 'animal kingdom' in their home.

It would not be fair to either one, IMO.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus  It does not sound like Molly is looking for a new sister or brother.  I believe that the personality of the dog is what determines how welcome a new dog would be.

Years ago, we adopted, Simon, a 7 year old lab/border collie mix from a family that just did not want him any longer.  He was left to his own devices, roaming the area where they lived and getting shot at by local farmers.  When we adopted him, it was evident that he was a loner.  While he was alive, we adopted Darcy, age 7, from the humane association.  Simon had nothing to do with her.

Darcy had been in so many shelters and when she came here, she became the "mother" to our cats.  She was also the "mother" at doggie daycare, which she loved.  Happy came to us at age 9 when her owner went into a rehab facility and then died.  Darcy took care of Happy.  However, when Darcy passed, Happy was the "Queen Bee" and was the boss.  We then brought in Maui as a late-night emergency foster and she was 10.  Maui did not know how to play and Happy had no time for her.

Maui is now by herself and is content.  While I would like to have a buddy for her, she would not be interested.

So, much depends on Molly, and it looks like she is really the boss.  Of course, one never knows, but it sounds like Molly enjoys things just the way that they are.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Molly says:

Queen of this household I am and Queen I prefer to remain.

Heartstone Dog Pet Rhinestone Crystal Tiara crown Comb Pet25

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

We have had this same experience and we did get another dog as a friend and mate for our older dog. Didn't really work out like we had hoped. Our older dog was King and could have cared less about the new one. Now this was years ago. The other experience we had was getting a new puppy a few weeks before we lost our older dog at the time. Now that worked out really good because I was so busy training the new puppy that it really helped with my heart ache of losing the older dog that we had for sixteen years. Now the puppy is fifteen and a half and is the King of the house!! It is like it has all came full circle. I am so glad we got him when we did.

Honored Contributor

My 14yo golden would not like having another dog around. She loves being here with me alone and away from other dogs. She was raised in a house full of other dogs and puppies so my home is her stress-free place where she doesn't have to stress over another dog being around.

Super Contributor

Yes, yes, yes!   But I agree...do a meet and greet before choosing a sibling for her.   You will be able to tell their chemistry immediately.    

Honored Contributor

Why not foster @Shanus ?