Esteemed Contributor

T his morning, I opened the blinds for my dog to look out and there was this cat across the street walking.   This is a rare sight in itself in my immediate neighborhood.  I thought it was lost, so I opened the front door to call to it to come over.  Allmost in front of the cat walking toward it was a little bird.  I stopped calling it so as not to come upon the bird, even though the bird can fly.  The bird kept walking toward the cat and the cat turned around in my neighbors front yard and the bird kept walking.  It was like teasing the cat and the car wanted no part of it.  At least  it seemed that way to me

Honored Contributor

I have a clan of swallows thst nest each summer under the covered entryway to my front door.  I've been here 19 years and so have they.  I opened the front door a couple days ago and there was a rustling in the bark mulch just beyond the door.  I stepped out and there were 3 baby swallows on the ground with parents still frantically trying to feed them.  Of course they weren't too thrilled about me being so close either.  They were still out there today.  Thankfully we don't have any cats in the neighborhood.

Maybe your birdie was like my swallows....fledging and too dumb to recognize danger at its tender age.  Lots of baby birds around now.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

My cat has an ongoing battle with the mockingbirds here, when there are babies in the nest.   I don't think he's that ambitious but the mama mockingbird is not taking any chances.   He can be just laying on the back deck and she'll swoop down and buzz him then keep going.

Esteemed Contributor

@qvcaddition, my cat, a former stray that I fed for a year before coming in the house, always sits under the tree with birds.  They are all over him and he just rolls over and goes to sleep.  My neighbor always says she laughs at his antics.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@software.  We had a cat once that was so intimidated by an aggressive mockingbird that he wouldn't go outside.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@software.  We had a cat once that was so intimidated by an aggressive mockingbird that he wouldn't go outside.

Poor baby!

Those mockingbirds are relentless when they have eggs or babies

Esteemed Contributor

@SXMGirl

@SXMGirl wrote:

@qvcaddition, my cat, a former stray that I fed for a year before coming in the house, always sits under the tree with birds.  They are all over him and he just rolls over and goes to sleep.  My neighbor always says she laughs at his antics.

What a cute sight that must be.  My cat would go after the birds in the yard.

Esteemed Contributor

My Winky was never impressed with birds....but chipmunks.....that was another story...LOL