Honored Contributor

A Crossbody Dog Leash??? Item M-58997

I have never heard or seen anything like this.  The vendor said, as long as your dog is already trained, this hands-off leash option is great if you are on your cell phone while walking your dog.  You wear it like a crossbody bag.

There seems to be be so many things wrong with this idea, but I could be short-sighted.  I guess I just don’t like one more reason for people to walk a dog and not pay full attention to them, no matter how trained they are.  

I’ll stick with my traditional leash.

Honored Contributor

Re: A Crossbody Dog Leash??? Item M-58997

I don't like that idea at all.  I don't think people should talk on their cell phone while walking their dog.  They should pay attention to their dog.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

While my dog is well trained and even passed her AKC Cannine Good Citizenship test several times, occasionally she just gets so excited if someone is stopping to adore her or if she gets startled by the noise of a garbage truck or school bus, if I didn't have control of her leash... well I would never want to  not be able to act immediately.  Even a few seconds could be a problem.  It is dangerous for both the dog and person walking them.  I can see possile lawsuits!

Esteemed Contributor

In my community I see people all the time glued to their phones while walking their dogs. They don't even seem to notice that their dog has "potty-ed" and they need to clean up after it!

Esteemed Contributor

I sometimes walk a well trained bird retriever and let me tell you, she has a thing for squirrels too.  No way would be hands off.

Respected Contributor

I agree - people shoud be hands on AND eyes on when dog walking.  Should be a given if you love your dog.  If phones are more important, than one should not have a dog.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I go for walks with my dog to bond with her.  It's time for just us and we both enjoy it.  Why bother if all you want to do is talk on your phone and ignore your dog and not pay attention to whether you need to pick up after them?  I talk to my dog while we are walking and that keeps her calm when the varmits appear or we are getting close to someone walking, running or biking towards us.  If I see she is too excited I put her in a wait until they pass and most will thank me doing that since they have had dogs run up to jump on them and dog lover or not , both the person and dog could be hurt.  Your focus needs to be on the dog. 

Trusted Contributor

I replied to the question and answer section where someone asked if it would be a good leash for a puller.  I replied that if you didn't have control of the lower handle or lost control of the lower handle, down you would go being tangled up in the crossbody strap. What a horrible and dangerous product.

Honored Contributor

Walking let alone walking your dog WHILE ON A CELL PHONE is just irrisponsible and STUPID.   You deserve what ever happens to you.....    you most likely will fall on your face tripping on an uneven sidewalk or the like and hurt yourself....

but if walking your dog you need to be present and aware of  your surroundings... other dogs.... distractions....  it is a responsibilty and not time to be on your friggin phone. 

Honored Contributor

I think it’s a great idea!

- Many people have grip issues holding the leash.

This would solve it.

- Many people have dogs who strain at the leash...causing arm/shoulder issues for the owners.  

This would solve it.

-Many people walk their dogs in questionable areas at quiet times of the day...and having quick access to their protection-of-choice is a priority.

This would solve it.

In fact your dog is in more control if you have your full body weight 

controlling the walk.  I can’t see a downside. 

12A1F5B3-7C6E-46F0-9C5A-BA9294C8F1D8.jpeg