Honored Contributor

Re: A Crossbody Dog Leash??? Item M-58997

@sidsmom wrote:

I think it’s a great idea!

- Many people have grip issues holding the leash.

This would solve it.

- Many people have dogs who strain at the leash...causing arm/shoulder issues for the owners.  

This would solve it.

-Many people walk their dogs in questionable areas at quiet times of the day...and having quick access to their protection-of-choice is a priority.

This would solve it.

In fact your dog is in more control if you have your full body weight 

controlling the walk.  I can’t see a downside. 

12A1F5B3-7C6E-46F0-9C5A-BA9294C8F1D8.jpeg

SORRY but this looks like an accident waiting to happen.  My 80 pound dog would pull me over and drag me on the ground if he got distracted  by something  if I was not aware and had a good grip on the leash... BAD IDEA!!!!!   Add a phone to this situation.....  

Honored Contributor

If one has an 80-lb dog who would ‘drag me to the ground,’

obviously this owner and/or dog should not be outside.

It’s not the fault of the leash the owner can control an unruly animal.

Let’s always blame someone else. 

A design of a piece of fabric is not the problem here.

Respected Contributor

While the cross body leash looks good...unless your walking a 6lb pup, I could never be confident.
I'd like to share...my latest 112 lb lab, Maverick, was honestly the most loyal, in tune to me, obedient being I've ever encountered. I'm only a little over 100 lbs, myself...I could never walk a dog with this strength, being his weight...but due to his obedience, we walked calmly, and peacefully. If Maverick picked up speed, I'd just say, "dont pull mama", and he'd look back at me and slow down. Yet, on 3 occasions we were encountered by dogs that escaped their yards. Once a doberman, and 2x was a neighbor that carelessly doesn't close her gates, and her 2 large breed dogs raced out towards us and pounced on Maverick!! I held onto his leash, but, honestly, Maverick was in the lead and I had no control over him. He pulled every which way to keep us protected. It resolved by a truck driver who almost ran the neighbors dogs over, that stopped, and we yelled for the owner to get her dogs!! All resolved without injury, but both Maverick and I were clearly shaken. Maverick was a dog, always out for my protection, I live on a farm, believe me...he knew danger and warned me. Soooo...all I'm saying is...ya never ever know, so always be ready!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

Using that crossbody thing could cause the person ti d be dragged down so easily and the dog could hurt someone else or be hurt and controlling an excited dog is not possible with that thing!!  The proper way to walk loose leash with a dog is to have both hands on the leash so if needed you can easily control the dog.  The dog should not be running ahead or behind you but at your left side.  Any dog can be startled or get excited seeing other animals, people, bike riders, runners, loud vehicles, etc.    It appears you can hold the leash properly but that cross body thing is still dangerous and unnecessary, seems uncomfortable and can cause injuries!   No dog will be able to drag someone to the ground using the proper walking method and using both hands is necessary.  It's that cross body thing that could twist the body and result in being pulled to the ground!   It also seems like there could be back issues from being twisted by a dog that might pull!  Walking with my dog and seeing so many walking theirs - well there are very few that have trained their dogs and most pull, tug and go where they want and that thing would not work for most.  If you have trained your dog properly why would you want something like that!!!   

Esteemed Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper. My 14 lb Jack Russell Jumped up on a bank I had him on a retractable leash. He was behind me and pulled me down backwards landing on my wrist & breaking several bomes

I had surgery and plates installed that are still there. The design of the handle will not let your fingers release the leash if it’s pulled around. Same is true with the crossbody leash. It can wrap around the walker and surgery is NOT fun! 

I have mentioned to my dogwalker not to use the phone when walking my 2 dogs. (It’s similar to driving).

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@sidsmom  Where I usually agree with your health and nutritional suggestions, I have to disagree with what you said  were your feelings this leash.   We can agree to disagree here.

Holding a dog back with a leash in your hands is much more stable than having A PIECE OF FABRIC as you called it wrapped around your torso.  If you can not hold on to a leash with your hands and arms due to disability ..... thus wrapping fabric around your torso...I would think you should not be walking a dog at all. Unruly animal or not.

And to use this to be hand free  so one can talk on the phone  while walking Fido!?   I can not even fathom. Will not go THERE as that just ticks me off. 

Esteemed Contributor

While I can see that some dogs could use this product, it is not for the majority of dogs.  I think the retractable leashs are much more dangerous than this one.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

That looks like a really dumb product.  I wouldn't use it.  I walk two dogs at the same time.

We have been attacked by other dogs a few times.  Something like that could turn out to be really dangerous in that type of situation.

I don't even use a retractable leash...too dangerous.  I use two 6' leashes attached to a body harness and will continue to do so.  We take two 30 minute walks a day, no matter the weather.  Both of my dogs walk well on a leash...but they go crazy when they see birds on the ground.