Trusted Contributor

It was on December 21, 2010, that I lost my beloved cat, Moochie, in a tragic way. I know the pain that transpires when you lose a fur-baby just days before Christmas, how the heart just breaks while so much of life around us is rejoicing. It’s hard. And even though I’ve only been here as a contributor since November, I’ve seen on the Pet Lovers page several people who have gone through the loss of their pet recently. And I’m sure that there have been many more throughout the year. So I have written this for all who have loved and lost, and I dedicate it to my sweetie, Moochie, and to all of those pet-kids who have stepped from this life this year.

The Christmas lights shine, the tree’s all trimmed, carols are on the radio, there’s laughter and joy everywhere I turn. But I don’t see it without tears. I can’t hear it without somewhere in my mind saying, “why now”? I can’t feel what everyone else feels, because there’s too much pain.

How can I be sad? It’s Christmas. Doesn’t everyone say, “It’s the most wonderful time of the year”? Trying to smile, I look again, all around at the decorations, but I expect to see you there amongst the garlands and bows, and I sigh deeply instead. How can I be spending this first Christmas without you?

Wasn’t it just yesterday that you were snuggled up in my arms? You were happy, full of life and always making me smile with that mischievous face and your silly antics. But now you’re gone.

I want to pet you, hold you, feel your soft tongue on my hands and face, because I know you’d want to wash away these tears that just won’t stop. Oh, my friend, my companion, my loved one, my little ball of fur, how I wish we’d had more time together. Just this one more Christmas. To be with you. To have you with me. But it wasn’t meant to be.

And on my knees I place my hand over my heart and cry. Suddenly, I feel more than my pulse. Is that my cat purring? Is that my dog’s tail wagging? Are you really here after all? I hear your voice, your meow, your bark, and pushing through the pain I feel some wonder and cheer.

I know it’s all right to cry, to still feel pain. But I do know where you are. You’re right here inside my heart. And through the tears I see the lights, and know that where you are, the lights are shining even brighter. And in my ears I hear the songs, and know that where you are, the music never ends.

Inside my heart is where you are, although your feet walk about in the glorious places above. You dance with the angels, you are played with by children, babies, and adults like me who have also gone on before. You feel no pain, you feel no fear, you feel only joy and peace. You glow with a light that can only be described as heavenly and your beauty matches the splendor where you reside.

I miss you, my precious baby, and I know I’ll still be sad. But this Christmas I have something to treasure, the gift of you forever. Forever in my heart.

XOXOXO my cat babies and my dog, my best friend, gone almost 8 years now, Tandi XOXOXO

Regular Contributor

@KitTkat This is beautiful. Made me cry. You write beautifully and from your heart.

Thanks for sharing.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays to you.

🎄❤️💚

Honored Contributor

Thanks for posting,

https://merrychristmascards.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/merry-christmas-gif-8.gif?w=663

Trusted Contributor

I so sympathize with you.  We had to put our beautiful Zeus to sleep a few years ago in early December.  He was young, barely 2 yrs old, but had FIP, which is a fatal illness to young cats.  It devastated us.

I remember feeling the same way throughout the month of December that year.  I wasn't in the mood to decorate, but forced myself.  I baked no cookies that year.  Everyone around us was happily preparing for Christmas.  We somehow made it through, but our hearts weren't really in it.

Thanks for sharing what you wrote...wish I had had it to read when we first lost Zeus.  I'm sure it could really help someone cope when they need to!  I know Moochie and Zeus are with us in spirit!

Respected Contributor

Re: A Christmas Dedication

[ Edited ]

I lost my soulmate kitty 10 years ago the day after Christmas. I've had cats all my life but never before - and most likely never again - one like her. I still miss her and always will. Thank you for the words and thoughts.

P.S. That's her (Sushi) in my pic. 

Esteemed Contributor

@lOVETOSHOP

@Sushismom

I lost my sweet Spencer to FIP last year.  One day he was fine, then I noted his sides beginning to buldge.  Turns out it was FIP.  We had to let him go in a few short weeks.

I've said goodbye to 4 kitties in less than two years.  Still heartbroken from the loss.  One senior kitty from my little tribe remains.  He has changed, and is even more loving.  

I'm not sure I will have another kitty when he leaves me.  Just too painful to say goodbye.

So sorry for your loss and for your loss @Sushismom.  Anyone who has loved a cat knows how you feel.

Respected Contributor

I lost one in February of this year. His best buddy has been more loving, too. 

I am truly sorry for your losses. Yes, it's painful when they leave us. But think about all the love you got from them! I don't think I could ever live without that love.