Frequent Contributor

Have yo taken for a sesond opinion.  Alao has Franke seen a neuologist  

Honored Contributor

Re: 3rd Update On Frankie

[ Edited ]

@NickNack wrote:

Thank you @Drythe .  Frankie is sleeping now.  I'm so anxious to see how she is tonight and in the morning.  I may have the MRI done even if she seems somewhat better.  I have a feeling it will need to eventually be done anyway.

@NickNack 

I'm a worry wort, you might want to wait, if possible, for the MRI until this COVID alert is not so hot.  Of course not if she needs it immediately, but if it's not urgent, you might want to avoid the risk to her, because it is a possibility she might accidently be exposed.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

Thank you @Drythe .  Frankie is sleeping now.  I'm so anxious to see how she is tonight and in the morning.  I may have the MRI done even if she seems somewhat better.  I have a feeling it will need to eventually be done anyway.

@NickNack 

I'm a worry wort, you might want to wait, if possible, for the MRI until this COVID alert is not so hot.  Of course not if she needs it immediately, but if it's not urgent, you might want to avoid the risk to her, because it is a possibility she might accidently be exposed.

@Drythe   If she's not any better tomorrow I think my Vet feels (and I feel) that it's very important she go ahead and have the MRI.  If she does have a disc problem I would like to start her on a conservative treatment plan before considering surgery.  Hopefully the surgery would be in the future, but we would know what we were dealing with.  

I know you mean she could be exposed to Covid19 by one of the Vets, and that's possible.  I'm sure they're taking extra precautions right now though.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Tinker Toy wrote:

Have yo taken for a sesond opinion.  Alao has Franke seen a neuologist  

@Tinker Toy   Taking her to the Neurologist at the Vet School would be the second opinion.  That is the plan for her.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@NickNack 

@Drythe   If she's not any better tomorrow I think my Vet feels (and I feel) that it's very important she go ahead and have the MRI.  If she does have a disc problem I would like to start her on a conservative treatment plan before considering surgery.  Hopefully the surgery would be in the future, but we would know what we were dealing with.  

I know you mean she could be exposed to Covid19 by one of the Vets, and that's possible.  I'm sure they're taking extra precautions right now though.

@NickNack 

I understand.  Please don't think I was suggesting a delay if she is in pain, or if the Vet & You feel it is an immediate need.  Just if you could minimize her pain, and you felt it might wait even a week, but really more as a thought to go in the mix.

Believe me, I would be frantically pounding on the doors!

Heart

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe   I understood what you were saying.  I don't want to be anywhere like that during this Pandemic either, and would prefer for Frankie to be safe at home.  She's been to the Vet last Saturday, then Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday!  Three of those days were to collect enough urine for the BRAF test, and she had to stay all day.

I've been thinking about this now, and I'm kind of agreeing with you.  When my Vet calls in the morning, depending on how Frankie is, I'm going to ask her if we can go with what would be the conservative treatment if it is a disc problem.  From what I read that's crate rest and NSAIDs.  That seems like it would be a good place to start.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack , I'm sorry to hear all this about Frankie.   I cant imagine waking up to a wailing pup, that's so sad.  In response to your question about anyone experiencing the falling,  I will tell you, My Maltese, Teaspoon has been falling.  Her back legs give out, could be one or the other, I can't always tell.  She doesn't seem in pain, and pops back up.  There are days when she appears to walk disjointed...as though her her rear sways uncoordinated.

It happened only occasionally, but soon after she started her heart meds, Lasix, and Vetmedin she became worse.

I had the vet examine her, and he dismissed the meds being the cause, and said its neurological and has affected her spine.  We wont be doing anything now, as she doesn't seem bothered by it, and we have to consider her age of 15.  I surely hope you get the best treatment for Frankie and she fully recovers.  You really are doing such wonderful care for her.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Drythe   I understood what you were saying.  I don't want to be anywhere like that during this Pandemic either, and would prefer for Frankie to be safe at home.  She's been to the Vet last Saturday, then Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday!  Three of those days were to collect enough urine for the BRAF test, and she had to stay all day.

I've been thinking about this now, and I'm kind of agreeing with you.  When my Vet calls in the morning, depending on how Frankie is, I'm going to ask her if we can go with what would be the conservative treatment if it is a disc problem.  From what I read that's crate rest and NSAIDs.  That seems like it would be a good place to start.

@NickNack 

Don't want to pester you, but I am thinking of you.

You know and respect your Vet, h/she must be excellent.

I always explore conservative treatment.  I have known my Vet for 25 or so years, but still, my anxiety about my baby could sway him to think I want drastic measures. So, I ask about what might be more conservative, and if waiting is dangerous / painful, and what he would if it were his baby.  It is so hard to see them hurt when you can't explain, and hard to know what to do!

I'm involved with our local animal services, today they advised limiting pet contact with other animals, such as neighbors dogs. Shelter workers, although going in only one at a time to work, are as of yesterday, required to wear masks.  Can't remember where you live, I'm in NC where we have @ 4,000 cases, this could be an overabundance of caution, I'm sure your Vets will be up on this and can advise.

Big hugs to the three of you.

Robbie Valentine

This is my Sweet Lab looking in to send good wishes and big lush slurpies!  He loves kitties to - Ah, Henry...?

Honored Contributor

Thank you @Drythe .  That's a very sweet picture of your Lab.  

Everything has changed this morning.  All this started with a UTI (or what we thought was a UTI)  on Sat., 3/28.  Since then she has seemed much better in that regard but still urinates more frequently than normal.  This morning I got her up at 6:15 because my Vet said she would call early, and I wanted to observe her first.

I was making my coffee when Frankie came in and didn't take her outside fast enough so she used the potty pads.  She hasn't used them in about a week because she's gone outside completely.  She never used potty pads before this UTI.  She urinated a teeny tiny amount on the potty pads, and I was shocked.  

I'm thinking this whole thing with the wobbling and falling is related to her bladder.  She had complete lab work, and everything was completely normal.  I think she needs to see a Urologist today to figure out what's going on.  I'm thinking this is an emergency.

I'll see what my Vet says this morning.  I hope she calls soon.  

I'm in East TN, by the way.  There haven't been that many cases of Covid-19 here.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Drythe   My Vet called at 7:30 this morning like she said she would.  We're on Eastern time.  I updated her on the one inch piddle on the potty pad this morning that shocked me.

She thinks the neurological problem is causing the urological problem.  Frankie had an appt. tomorrow for a urine recheck and another bladder ultrasound to check for changes.  I'm taking her in this afternoon at 2:00 instead.  I can observe her today and tell the Vet how she's doing when I bring her in.  I think that's a good plan.

She will give her a good exam and check for pain.  She then will probably send her home with prednisone.  I don't like prednisone, but from everything I've read that is the treatment for this.  

I will take her to UT immediately for an MRI if she gets so she can't walk.  I'm satisfied with this plan.

I think an MRI could possibly be necessary later on, but she's a French Bulldog and anesthesia scares me.  I had a cat die one time under anesthesia to remove something she swallowed.  It has scared me ever since then.  This was many years ago, though, and I know the anesthesia is much safer than it was then.

-Henry David Thoreau