Honored Contributor

3rd Update On Frankie

[ Edited ]

I thought Frankie was so much better from her UTI and/or some other type of bladder problem.  She has been taking antibiotics and gabapentin for pain.  Since she didn't seem to have the urgency to go ouitside so much I didn't give her the gabapentin yesterday morning.

She spent all day Saturday, Monday and five hours yesterday at the Vet while they collected enough urine to send in for a BARF test to test for transitional cell carcinoma (TCC).  They have to collect it free style for this particular test, and they need a lot, so it took a long time.

On Monday night she lost control of her back legs and fell twice.  She got up quickly.  I thought it might have been because she spent all day in a cage at the Vet's.  Last night (Tuesday) she fell like that three times after getting home from the Vet.  I was concerned and was watching her closely.  I restarted the gabapentin last night.

At 2:00 a.m. I woke up to her wailing loudly (deafeningly loud).  Her bed is about three feet from mine.  I jumped up and went to her immediately.  She had stopped wailing by the time I got there and was just lying there.  I was very frightened.  I sat with her for a long time and then went back to bed.

She got me up at 6:00 a.m. to go outside.  We went outside and I fed her.  She didn't seem completely like herself but seemed okay.  I emailed the Vet at 7:00.  They open at 7:30.  At 8:00 I received an email back from her.

She said that French Bulldogs can have a back problem that causes them to fall like that, but it's not related to back issues.  She said she would see her today if I wanted to.  I don't want her to spend another day at the Vet, and I don't know what she could do to get to the bottom of this problem, so I'm going to just watch her again today.  I don't think she has a back problem.  I think it's all related to the same issue.

She also said that Frankie seemed very relaxed in the crate at the Vet's and got a lot of attention.  They carried her outside so she wouldn't have to walk so far and didn't observe any walking issues outside.

Sorry this is so long.  I'll try not to make future posts so long.  I'm just worried about her.  She goes back in on Saturday for another bladder ultrasound and urinalysis.  If she's still having issues with her legs I will have them check her out at that time if it isn't more urgent before then.  

I did send my Vet an email yesterday with about four questions that I had related to her bladder issues.  She addressed all of them.

If anyone has had a similar issue with their dog I would appreciate hearing about it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Still praying for you and Frankie!Heart

62d9dc97c2c4324f9bdc41d97995e726--sending-prayers-prayer-for.jpg

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Sounds similar to the reaction my dog had to medication given to ...try...to control her pp accidents.  Couldn't walk - was in a total daze.

Like a seizure

Honored Contributor

@fthunt   She'd been on the antibiotic and gabapentin for a week and a half before this started.  It doesn't seem seizure like.  She gets right back up.  Thanks for the feedback.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I'm soo very sorry. I understand your fear. Keeping you and your sweet Frankie in my prayers......

{{{{{hugs}}}}}

Honored Contributor

Re: 3rd Update On Frankie

[ Edited ]

@NickNack  I had posted back in dec. i think ,about spirit, he started with uti, was on same medication as frankie, then, he had a ear infection,immediately after  drops put in his ear, he started falling , this over weeks got really bad.He had vestibular syndrome.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Just my two cents here.  I think your dog is falling down because that is a side effect for dogs who take gabapentin.

That drug can make them dizzy, make them wobble and lose coordination.  I had a dog who was on that drug for about 7 years for nerve pain.

I hope Frankie feels better soon.

Valued Contributor
Poor, dear Frankie. My initial thought was the gabapentin because it can cause sedation and lack of coordination. But the wailing concerns me. Could she have been frightened because of not feeling like herself? I hope that's all it is. Is this your longtime vet? It certainly is taking a long time to figure things out.

Has Frankie had any blood in her urine? Maybe, next time she pees, try putting a dixie cup under her urine stream to see if it is orange. My rescue cat Kiki has stones in her kidneys. They are just full of stones so trying to break them up with ultrasound isn't an option. Every so often, she will have blood in her urine when a stone migrates. It doesn't seem to bother her, although she had a bad week in August 2018 when three stones migrated to her bladder and she had to be on gabapentin. If Frankie passed a kidney stone, the pain could have caused her to wail. Please give her a hug and kiss from me.
Trusted Contributor

@NickNack 

I am praying for Frankie. Your post need to be as long as they can be to let us know about Frankie. Don't worry about long posts. My heart hurts for you as you and Frankie go through this. 
love ❤️ and prayers 🙏🏻

Respected Contributor

@NickNack  I’m so sorry Frankie is not doing well. It’s so hard when your baby is not feeling well. Hope everything gets figured out for her soon 😘