Respected Contributor

3 1/2 mo. old pup left in frigid weather

outside a animal shelter hours before it opened here in Indiana this morning.  The animal shelter doesn't understand why they left it before the employees arrived because they don't refuse any animals.  I hope they catch who did this and prosecute them.  The pup also had a large gash in its forehead.  Pup is doing well luckily. 

Honored Contributor

Re: 3 1/2 mo. old pup left in frigid weather

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

outside a animal shelter hours before it opened here in Indiana this morning.  The animal shelter doesn't understand why they left it before the employees arrived because they don't refuse any animals.  I hope they catch who did this and prosecute them.  The pup also had a large gash in its forehead.  Pup is doing well luckily. 

Oh so sad!  It's 8 degrees here!  I'm glad the pup is ok!!!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Oh so sad!  It's 8 degrees here!  I'm glad the pup is ok!!!

It was -15 to -20 degrees up in Indianapolis this morning - dog was hypothermic.  Poor baby! 

Honored Contributor

Poor little poochie.  It's awful, up here in NW Indiana.  I could stand only a few minutes out there when taking the dog out.  

Honored Contributor

I don't know how people can be so heartless.

Here in PA abput 2 weeks ago, somone left an older male dog by the side of a well traveled road with his bed.

He was found frozen to death stll in his bed. They beleive he was alive when he was placed there.

There were even pictures of this poor pup on our news stations showing him frozen to death.  They are still trying to identify him and his owner.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Here in PA abput 2 weeks ago, somone left an older male dog by the side of a well traveled road with his bed.

He was found frozen to death stll in his bed. They beleive he was alive when he was placed there.

There were even pictures of this poor pup on our news stations showing him frozen to death.  They are still trying to identify him and his owner.

This post broke my heart. If they find that piece of S#it owner,I would have ZERO problems  putting them in a freezing room to serve some time. I say get what you give.  I just went out to put a cozy sweater on my neighbor's dog. She is old and big. They won't bring her inside. I have wrapped her house in sleeping bags,blankets,and put warm bedding inside. I enclosed her pen with tarps to keep rain and wind away.  I worry about her. 

Respected Contributor

Some people have no shame.

Honored Contributor

@birkin baby wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

This post broke my heart. If they find that piece of S#it owner,I would have ZERO problems  putting them in a freezing room to serve some time. I say get what you give.  I just went out to put a cozy sweater on my neighbor's dog. She is old and big. They won't bring her inside. I have wrapped her house in sleeping bags,blankets,and put warm bedding inside. I enclosed her pen with tarps to keep rain and wind away.  I worry about her. 

@birkin baby - Have you reported this to animal control?  I certainly would.  There's no excuse whatsoever for leaving a dog outside in frigid conditions.  (And I have reported someone - a neighbor - when their dog was being left chained outside during the winter months, with no way to get out of the snow and cold.  As I said - no excuse.  You have the animal, you accept the responsibility of caring for it properly or you rehome it!)

As for someone leaving an animal at a shelter in the cold...the only good thing I can think of is that it's better than some that have been reported dumping them in woods or worse, chained up with no way to get to food or water.  I can't say here what I'd do with them, but it's along the lines of "let the punishment fit the crime".  Smiley Mad

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Carmie,  

Oh YES, people can be worse than heartless and it's happening every single day to homeless pets, along with those who are 'just abandoned'!! There is a new law, recently in {some states}, hopefully yours too -to call the police, the SPCA or any well known Animal league to REPORT.

The fine in my area of the state is a hefty fine of $1,000.00 to jail time when reported. No pet should ever be left to fend for itself having NO voice. The report can be anonymously.

I heard on a news release last week that there are over 133 million UNwanted pets roaming in this country alone.

Go and report to someone until someone takes action by listening -it just that serious.

In many states, at this very time, the weather is 4* to _>minus 15* or below with windchill temperatures much colder than these figures posted. 

I, personally have taken in kittens left to be on their own over the course of 10+ years, around 30 / fed them until they were ready for adoption, through a careful classified ad, then having that person being interview by asking many questions. Have they lived in the same place for over 3 months -showing at least 4 paid utility bills.Employment? A busy street or will the pet be alone {all day}?

Now, I would call an animal league and asked what is their procedure.

I choose a caring habitat that has caring volunteers...NEVER Animal > CONTROL. 

It is against the law as mentioned; nothing will happen until that one person who cares takes Action. 

I do realize that some states are not as strict with any law to help with just a call, but certainly the police has some clout.

"...wish I could answer your question why people... becoming (so heartless) but that is one question I have no answer. 

You, along with others sound as though you want to help but do not know exactly where to turn. I have called the ASPCA to ask for information one time. Thank you for a huge concern. You will know what to do and teach others why this is not allowed. 

I hope many readers do take the step and lessen inhumane treatment for one pet.

Thank you for posting this story".

"It can help". NAES

Respected Contributor

I'm glad the puppy is doing well. It's much too bitter cold to leave animals outside. Especially baby animals.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder