Honored Contributor

As I have posted recently, Frankie has been battling a UTI and been on antibiotics for a week today (Saturday, April 4th).  The culture came back today and the Vet said it was negative.  She recommended a bladder ultrasound to check for bladder stones or polyps.  I took her in immediately and dropped her off.

The Vet called and said there were no obvious stones.  Her bladder wall is slightly thickened, which could indicate cystitis or she could be forming a polyp or a mass.  Cystitis is uncommon in dogs (very common in cats), and she didn't see a polyp or mass.

She's going to do a BRAF test, which is another urine test, to check for cancer.  Unfortunately it will take a week to get it back.  Everything is taking longer because the labs are short staffed due to the virus.  

On top of this, my sister found a malignant mass in her breast and is having a double mastectomy on Tuesday.  It's a Stage 1, and if there's no lymph node involvement she won't need further treatment.  I'm worried about the surgery and her being in the hospital during this outbreak.  Please say a prayer for her and Frankie.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

Thank you so much for the update on Frankie. You and your sister will be in my thoughts and prayers. I know this is a really anxious and scary time for everyone,but please know you are in our thoughts. Please keep us updated on everyone's progress.we all care ! 

Super Contributor

@NickNack @Prayers and thoughts for your sister, Frankie and you. Sometimes things happen all at once. I hope you'll have great news on both front soon.

Valued Contributor

Im sorry to hear about your sister, prayers for her.  As for Frankie would you try to give her pumpkin seed oil? I have heard good things about it for bladder and kidney issues for dogs and people.  

One company I like is the Seed Oil Company. I do believe natural things can help along with antibiotics. If you have a chance, look at their pet products.   

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

As I have posted recently, Frankie has been battling a UTI and been on antibiotics for a week today (Saturday, April 4th).  The culture came back today and the Vet said it was negative.  She recommended a bladder ultrasound to check for bladder stones or polyps.  I took her in immediately and dropped her off.

The Vet called and said there were no obvious stones.  Her bladder wall is slightly thickened, which could indicate cystitis or she could be forming a polyp or a mass.  Cystitis is uncommon in dogs (very common in cats), and she didn't see a polyp or mass.

She's going to do a BRAF test, which is another urine test, to check for cancer.  Unfortunately it will take a week to get it back.  Everything is taking longer because the labs are short staffed due to the virus.  

On top of this, my sister found a malignant mass in her breast and is having a double mastectomy on Tuesday.  It's a Stage 1, and if there's no lymph node involvement she won't need further treatment.  I'm worried about the surgery and her being in the hospital during this outbreak.  Please say a prayer for her and Frankie.

@NickNack    Not just A prayer, but many prayers for Frankie, your sister and to you. It's not like you didn't have enough without added stress. Stay healthy.

Respected Contributor

NickNck, even if it is transitional cell carcinoma in the bladder, there is a newer, safer and better tolerated drug that works very, very well against this type of tumor in dogs.  For many years the nsaid piroxicam was what was recommended, but it was very hard on the stomach and the whole gastrointestinal tract, even with antacids, stomach protectants and proton pump inhibitors.  Even when tolerated, remission was often rather short with piroxicam.  In the last few years new ressearch has pinpointed a safer nsaid called Deramax.  It has been much easier on the gi tract, and best of all, it has provided very long, durable remissions of two years or more.  So even if you get the worst possible news, don't despair, there is good hope for treatment!

I am sending good thoughts for your sister and Frankie as well!

Honored Contributor

@CamilleP wrote:

NickNck, even if it is transitional cell carcinoma in the bladder, there is a newer, safer and better tolerated drug that works very, very well against this type of tumor in dogs.  For many years the nsaid piroxicam was what was recommended, but it was very hard on the stomach and the whole gastrointestinal tract, even with antacids, stomach protectants and proton pump inhibitors.  Even when tolerated, remission was often rather short with piroxicam.  In the last few years new ressearch has pinpointed a safer nsaid called Deramax.  It has been much easier on the gi tract, and best of all, it has provided very long, durable remissions of two years or more.  So even if you get the worst possible news, don't despair, there is good hope for treatment!

@CamilleP   Thank you.  I've been researching some of the things that she said but haven't gotten to this yet.  That's good to know that there's something that would help her.  Have you had a dog with transitional cell carcinoma in the bladder?

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@CamilleP wrote:

@CamilleP   Thank you.  I've been researching some of the things that she said but haven't gotten to this yet.  That's good to know that there's something that would help her.  Have you had a dog with transitional cell carcinoma in the bladder?

@CamilleP   I just read about TCC, and it sounds like it's a death sentence.  I just hope that's not what it is.  Frankie is everything to me.  She's only 8 1/2 years old.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack   I'm glad you have a Frankie update as I've wondered about her.  I sure hope the vet is able to fix what's wrong with her.  Keeping fingers crossed.

I went through the breast cancer scare with my sister too about 3 years ago.  She had surgery and chemo and is fine now.  Seems like just about everyone gets it sooner or later.  You've got more than your share of trouble right now, but we're pulling for you.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor
@Nicknack
Prayers for your beloved Frankie and your beloved sister. ❤️🙏🏻