Respected Contributor

@NickNack , I am so sorry to read of Frankie's unresolved situation and of your sister's news. I'm glad they're catching it at Stage 1 and it sounds as if she's doing the smart thing surgically, but I understand your anxiety about having a surgery in this environment. Ironically, it might improve the conditions in the hospital if there was any margin for stricter adhesion to sanitation protocols. They're going to be very mindful of protecting her. I hope her lymph nodes are clear and it's smooth sailing for her after the operation.

I'll keep fingers crossed for Frankie, that she can produce a fresh specimen that allows them to do the test. When I've brought cats in to check on their CRF status, the vet usually aspirates urine from their bladders directly. I don't know if that's possible with a dog or contraindicated by the small volume she's maintaining and/or that it's a bladder issue and avoiding trauma is important.

Frankie is such a dear little dog. I'm not a dog person, but that face--somehow, it's like looking at a person, someone you want to protect.

Will be thinking of you, Frankie, and your sister all this week, NickNack. Heart

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@NickNack , I am so sorry to read of Frankie's unresolved situation and of your sister's news. I'm glad they're catching it at Stage 1 and it sounds as if she's doing the smart thing surgically, but I understand your anxiety about having a surgery in this environment. Ironically, it might improve the conditions in the hospital if there was any margin for stricter adhesion to sanitation protocols. They're going to be very mindful of protecting her. I hope her lymph nodes are clear and it's smooth sailing for her after the operation.

I'll keep fingers crossed for Frankie, that she can produce a fresh specimen that allows them to do the test. When I've brought cats in to check on their CRF status, the vet usually aspirates urine from their bladders directly. I don't know if that's possible with a dog or contraindicated by the small volume she's maintaining and/or that it's a bladder issue and avoiding trauma is important.

Frankie is such a dear little dog. I'm not a dog person, but that face--somehow, it's like looking at a person, someone you want to protect.

Will be thinking of you, Frankie, and your sister all this week, NickNack. Heart

Thank you @noodleann .  For Frankie's urinalysis they do aspirate the urine from her bladder with a needle.  For this BRAF test that they're doing it has to be a free collection (not sure if that's what it's called) where they just catch it as she's going.  They have to collect a lot of urine for that test, and she's been peeing such small amounts that they weren't able to get enough on Saturday.  I'm taking her in first thing in the morning and leaving her all day.  Surely they'll be able to get enough.

She seems much better today, so I can only hope things will turn out all right for her.

My sister's radiologist and surgeon didn't see any lymph node involvement, but they won't actually know until the surgery.  I'm very hopeful for her.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack 

I hope all went well with Sweet Frankie's test today.

.. and prayers for good news on your sister's surgery tomorrow.  I'll feel optimistic along with you.

Sending you hugs during this stressful time for you.  Heart

Honored Contributor

@sceniccoast wrote:

@NickNack 

I hope all went well with Sweet Frankie's test today.

.. and prayers for good news on your sister's surgery tomorrow.  I'll feel optimistic along with you.

Sending you hugs during this stressful time for you.  Heart

@sceniccoast   Thanks for checking on my sweet girl.  Unfortunately they couldn't get enough urine yesterday, and she had to go back today from 7:45 - 5:45.  She spent the day there on Saturday, Monday and now Tuesday.  I feel so sorry for her.

On the plus side, she seems like she's much better and maybe even completely over her infection or whatever it was.  When they finish collecting the urine, it will take a week to get the results back.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack 

I've been dealing with my Frankie (the kitty) and her health problems, and I missed this thread as a result.

Prayers headed your way they can get enough pee in the Frankie pee pool to do the needed tests, and for your dear sister's health.  Heart

Respected Contributor

@NickNack , Sorry they didn't get enough urine for a sample, but hopefully, soon. And it's great to hear that Frankie seems to be feeling better.

Was your sister able to have her surgery today? How is she doing? Hoping for great news, thinking of you both.

Respected Contributor

Glad to hear Frankie is showing signs of improvement!  

Waiting for test results is the hardest part.  I remember that adorable painting of her posted on line a while ago...we all will be anxious to hear that "all is well." 

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@NickNack , Sorry they didn't get enough urine for a sample, but hopefully, soon. And it's great to hear that Frankie seems to be feeling better.

Was your sister able to have her surgery today? How is she doing? Hoping for great news, thinking of you both.

@noodleann   My sister's surgery went well.  She didn't feel like talking yesterday, so I talked with my niece all day.  She and my BIL are taking good care of her.  I'm so thankful that my niece's school is closed and she was able to come home and be with her during this.  She said she would call me today.

Frankie isn't doing well at all.  I'm going to post an update in this thread today.  I'm very worried about her.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Oh dear, @NickNack . It's great that your sister came through surgery well and your niece can keep you updated, but I'm very sorry to hear that Frankie isn't doing well. I'll go find the update. Heart

Respected Contributor

Thank you @NickNack for Sweet Frankie's update.  My heart goes out to her, and you of course.  I truly hope the test results will show whatever caused this is now over or close to it.

What a terrible couple weeks you & Frankie have been through.  Henry needs to give Frankie a hug.