Valued Contributor

2022 Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show

For those that are interested:

Copied from the Westminster Kennel Club Website:

New York, NY — The 146th Annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show presented by Purina Pro Plan is announcing that the postponed January 22-26 events are now scheduled for June 18-22, 2022, at the Lyndhurst Estate in Tarrytown, NY, with 19.5 hours of television coverage scheduled across FOX, FS1, and FS2.

In December of 2021, the club postponed the January events, due to the surge of the Omicron variant in New York City. This is the second year in a row the organization has had to adjust the timing of America’s Dog Show due to the pandemic. With the safety and well-being of the participants remaining the driving force, the Westminster Kennel Club’s Board of Governors determined that an outdoor event is again the most responsible plan of action.

In 2021, the 145th Annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show presented by Purina Pro Plan was held outdoors on the Lyndhurst Estate, a National Trust for Historic Preservation Property, which was the first time the iconic dog show was not held in Manhattan.

Westminster Week 2022 will kick off with the Masters Agility Championship on Saturday, June 18, 2022, followed by Junior Showmanship, Breed, Group, and Best in Show judging on June 20 - 22, 2022. The Masters Obedience Championship will be on Monday, June 20, 2022.

Lyndhurst — A National Trust for Historic Preservation Property

Lyndhurst—home to America’s Finest Gothic Revival mansion just 25 miles north of New York City—is a 67-acre estate on Route 9 in Tarrytown, New York. The property was donated to the National Trust for Historic Preservation, a privately funded not-for-profit, in 1961. The estate was designed in 1838 by renowned architect Alexander Jackson Davis. Noteworthy occupants include former New York City mayor William Paulding, merchant George Merritt, and railroad tycoon Jay Gould.

FOX Sports Television Schedule

Sunday, June 19, 2022

FOX - The Masters Agility Championship will be televised from 12:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. (EDT)
Monday, June 20, 2022

FS2 – Select daytime breed judging and highlights from the Masters Obedience Championship will be televised live from 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. (EDT)
Tuesday, June 21, 2022

FS2 – Select daytime breed judging and junior showmanship preliminaries will be televised live from 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. (EDT)
FS1 – Pre-show televised live from 7:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. (EDT)
FS1 – 4 Groups televised live from 7:30 p.m. - 11:00 p.m. (EDT)
Wednesday, June 22, 2021

FS2 – Select daytime breed judging and junior showmanship preliminaries will be televised live from 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. (EDT)
FS1 – Pre-show televised live from 7:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. (EDT)
FS1 – 3 Groups and Best in Show televised live from 7:30 p.m. - 11:00 p.m. (EDT)

Respected Contributor

Re: 2022 Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show

thanks for the reminder..  we will be watching

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Thank you for the details. I put it on my calendar

If anyone lives in the area or is familiar with the venue, please advise. I would love to see the breed shows in person. Do they allow spectators? Are there accommodations nearby?

My husband wants to explore upstate New York. I want to see a Wegman's. It seems like we could do it all in one trip with the right planning.

We have attended dog shows in San Antonio and recognized many of the handlers who appear at Westminster.  The individual breed shows are a way to avoid the crowds but participate in the show. I am certain tickets for the groups and best of show will be scarce. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Regular Contributor

@On It wrote:

Thank you for the details. I put it on my calendar

If anyone lives in the area or is familiar with the venue, please advise. I would love to see the breed shows in person. Do they allow spectators? Are there accommodations nearby?

My husband wants to explore upstate New York. I want to see a Wegman's. It seems like we could do it all in one trip with the right planning.

We have attended dog shows in San Antonio and recognized many of the handlers who appear at Westminster.  The individual breed shows are a way to avoid the crowds but participate in the show. I am certain tickets for the groups and best of show will be scarce. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

@On It  I don't think they've announced whether or not spectators will be allowed this year. Last year they were not. You'd have to check their website. Wetsminsterkennelclub.org. 

There are a good number of options for hotel accomodations in that area, but you'd need to research online for reviews and prices. Everything from cheap motels to 5 star hotels. Tarrytown is in Westchester County, which is a suburb of NYC. Not even remotely considered "upstate". It's on the NYC side of the Hudson river. There is still 300+ miles worth of NY state going north. All kinds of places to visit depending upon how far you would like to drive. Including a half hour south into the Bronx to the Bronx Zoo, which is well worth seeing if that would be something you enjoy. Westchester is also quite close to Connecticut, about a half hour to Norwalk, where there is the Maritime Aquarium. My suggestion would be to do an online search of the area to see what's around and then make a plan. 

The venue - Lyndhurst - is a beautiful estate. I've been there a number of times for craft shows and a dog show (Westchester County Kennel Club). Parking for large events is off-site and they have shuttle buses to take you to Lyndhurst. There are tours of the mansion available as well. Tarrytown itself is a cute little town with a lot of restaurants and shops, but that was pre-pandemic. Not sure what is there now. 

As for Wegmans, there is a recently built store about 20 minutes from Tarrytown. Haven't been to that one, but I do all my shopping at a Wegmans in NJ. Love that store...enjoy your trip if you go.

Respected Contributor

@NigelSparkles Thank you for your reply. My original OP was too vague. We will be driving from Texas and make a long trip out of this adventure. We have always flown when going East from Texas and have never seen what lies between Texas and NYC. My husband wants to see the Finger Lakes area. I want to explore the areas close to the Canadian border.

If we decide to attempt the trip it will be our last big road trip. I am so glad you mentioned the Bronx Zoo. We watch its program on cable tv often. I checked the  website and there is no decision as of yet about fans attending the show.

Regular Contributor

@On It  Oh, I thought you were just making a trip to see the dog show. What a wonder trip! At a perfect time of year, too. 

The far upstate ares of NY are very beautiful and picturesque with many small towns along the way. If you plan to go all the way up, you should add Niagara Falls to your list.

The Bronx Zoo. has been one of my life long favorite places. I was born and lived in the Bronx until I was 18, so it was somewhere we went almost weekly. It was a long time ago - late 50's, 60's and 70's - so it was before the zoo became focused more on conservation. Back then, there were pony, camel and even elephant rides. It was all redesigned to be more natural and comfortable for the animals. A big change from what it used to be, and a good one. It does make it a little more difficult to see the animals up close, but it's a wonderful place. It's huge. I love watching the show on tv, as a few of the areas have remained exactly as they were when I was a child - the seal pond in particular. Haven't visited in many years. I really should plan a trip back there. By the way - if you do decide to go, admission is free on Wednesdays. However, you have to get tickets in advance.

Enjoy your wonderful vacation!