Honored Contributor

17 Year Old Girl Protects Her Dogs From A Bear

BRADBURY, Calif. (AP) — Hailey Morinico didn’t hesitate when she saw a large bear facing off with her family dogs from the top of a wall in their Southern California backyard.

The 17-year-old ran outside and shoved the bear away, then rounded up the dogs and went back inside her house in suburban Bradbury, east of Los Angeles.

Home surveillance video aired by the ABC 7 television station shows the mother bear perched atop top of the wall, swatting at a large black dog on the ground. Two bear cubs are seen behind the bear while four smaller dogs bark and dart around the yard.

Morinico sprints toward the bear, uses both hands to push the large bear off the wall and picks up one of the smaller dogs. She and the other dogs then run out of the video frame.

The bears disappear over a wall into a neighbor’s yard.

The news station reports the teen suffered a small scratch, but she and all of the dogs are OK.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Re: 17 Year Old Girl Protects Her Dogs From A Bear

Somethings wrong here.  Isn't the big dog supposed to protect his mistress?  I just heard on TV where everyone in Alaska has a big dog to protect the family.  Children can play outside only if the family dog is with them.  I guess the yapping is enough to deter most bears.   Maybe a sow with cubs is more defensive

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

If you live in the foothills......you are on The Bear's territory.....

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Brave girl that loves her dogs.Heart

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I just heard on TV where everyone in Alaska has a big dog to protect the family.  Children can play outside only if the family dog is with them.

@Kachina624  Because of high crime in Johannesburg, South Africa, every homeowner owns a Boerboel which looks sort of like a mastiff.  They are only found in So. Africa.  They are bred to maim & kill.  They are extremely protective & loyal of their "families."  They are kept in the house during the day.  At dusk, they are let out on the homeowners high fenced in property.  We were on a hill looking down at the homeowners & trainers letting the dogs out all around the same time.

Children are not allowed outside unless their Boerboel is w/them.  Like in Alaska.

Every Boerboel owner has a "trainer" that keeps these dogs in tip top shape, checks the fencing & cleans out the dog house which is air conditioned during the summer.

proxy-image-2.jpg

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac   That's a serious looking dog.  I wonder if it would stand up to a Grisly Bear? I hope nobody ever imports them here.  They could be a BIG problem. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

She is amazing.

I am glad none of her pets were hurt or worse.

Esteemed Contributor

My brother sent me this clip yesterday. She was very...very..lucky. I would not want to face off with a mama bear and her cubs.